m6600 upgrade to 7970m = blackscreen

I recently upgraded my m6600 from a 6970m to an 7970m I purchased on ebay. From the Ebay listing "This is a Clevo card, and not a reflashed Dell or MSI card, which means that Enduro will work if your motherboard/cpu support it (IE ivy bridge). At the moment of listing this is the only Clevo based 7970m for sale on eBay." Anyways all I get is a black screen and the laptop will not boot from usb. If I remove the mxm card and just install the cpu heatsink the lappy will display fine from the integrated iGPU. I think that there is a short in the card or maybe just a bad vBios? Any help will be appreciated before I have to send it in or relist it.

After trying everything from blind flashing to rigging up a serial eeprom flasher (neither worked) I bit the bullet and attempted a hot flash.

I removed both eeprom chips from both the 6970m and the 7970m, installed the 6970m card into my dell, held the 6970m eeprom onto the solder pads,

booted up the lappy, got into msdos, carefully swapped the 7970m eeprom onto the pads and used atiflash to program the Dell 7970m vBios onto the eeprom. Soldered both chips to their respective cards and BAM!

Its working great!

Hope this helps someone. NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART! I was lucky I didn't fry anything! Use flux and dont heat up the chip too much it will break!

• 7 years later...