crazy crashing, 7970m to 980m, m17xr4, out of ideas. any thoughts?

mkerr

Hi all,

I've upgraded my m17xr4 from a 7970m to a 980m. Never had any issues at all before doing so.

Now that i've spent longer than I expected to reading these forums, and posts by j95, mrfox, and friends, i've ironed out most of the bugs.

One thing i've not managed to fix is occasional crashing.

I'm worried that it might be a hardware issue, and that i'm going to need to return my card under warranty. Purchased it from HIDEvolution.

Here's a piccie of the issue.

My specs:

m17xr4

3740qm

unlocked A11 bios

UEFI with legacy mode on (SDD with win 8.1 wasn't partitioned in the GPT or whatever it was needed to run no legacy)

32gb ram

240w PSU

2x1tb HDD, 1x128gb SSD

optical drive

Currently using svl7 & Johnksss vbios

Mr fox's 344.75 desktop mod drivers

previously on 347.09

tried a few times to reinstall via DDU, no change

Usually happens in BF4 or Unigine heaven benchmark. changing the BF4 settings back to boring makes it happen less often, up to ultra happens sooner.

crashes to a black screen, then random colours.

need to power off and on again.

tried: fresh windows install, DDU and new drivers, changing drivers to different ones, reseating the GPU, reseating the heatsink, changing VRAM pads, no luck.

replaced the 7970m back in and ran the same games / benchmarks, no crashes

stressed the CPU, no crashes

ran alienware preboot check, no issues

memcheck, no issues

running out of ideas here, other than faulty GPU.

here's some piccies and youtube of it happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-xlIzHH4lM

cds3xDSh.jpg

3HfrRToh.jpg

• 1 month later...

Wow, now I have to worry having just purchased the same card from the same place. Did you ever figure out what that was?

Also, another question for somebody who upgraded to a 980M on the M17xR4; did the laptop still boot fine if you used the switchable graphics key? Because of the vBIOS on my old card (660M) the key doesn't work without a vBIOS upgrade to the card, since the 660M's vBIOS didn't support GOP (I think).

• 8 months later...

When u stress the gpu, what is the last known temperature of it? Seem to me that u have an overheating problem or bad vram on the gpu card.

Are you sure you instaled the card properly? (pads in the right way and thickness) and also how many pipes does your gpu sink has?

Edited by runix18

It could be the vbios you are using (svl7 & Johnksss). When I had it every time the GPU is loaded I get crashes, it's due to it being undervolted. I'm using Prema's V2 vbios  runs a little bit hotter but it's stable.

Give it a try:

https://biosmods.wordpress.com/gtx9/

Edited by Solo wing

• 1 month later...

just to update.

it was the card.

had a terrible experience with HID evolution, and wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

ended up buying a new aw17 and getting a replacement card

working now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...