Optimum Settings 7970 and 740qm

kbm

Hello,

I have a 7970 in the M15x and I wanted to speed it up, without exceeding 75 ° C in the games.

Currently I have this set: 900/1300 i 975mV

In GPU-Z I have:

Pixel Fillrate - 28,8 GP

Testuje Fillrate - 72,0 GT

Bandwidth - 166,4 GB

With these settings for normal operation I have about 37-40 * C.

When I run BT4 in 1080p high settings, but not ultra and I then approx. 26-28 fps, and a temperature of about 50-55 ° C

When I start GPU first time, after I have 5850, the card have extremal mem tune.

Before I have Core3D - 1502, Mem3D - (caution) 117964 MHz and Voltage 1876 mV.

I do not know who threw such settings but I think they look quite high.

Laptop with these settings normally started, but when starting BT4 once exceeded 80 ° C.

I fixed x-clamp and cooling and everything worked quite well, but the temperature hovered around 80 ° C.

BT4 Ultra Setting worked very, very smoothly.

These extreme settings changed for those at the beginning of the post, but with the cold store would like to somehow wisely tune GPU.

What should be the optimum settings for the 740QM 7970 GPU?

Get watercooling .........or extreem aircooling the rest will all produce more heat even if you lower voltage a little and overclocking it temps will rise.

go for lower setting so that FPS is higher, but thats my vision offcourse i run hybride cooling on a gtx970 and play cod adv on high but i also set stuff down a little.

temps go up a little because of good cooling. i also have a 7970m but temps go up fast unless i get settings down (not hybride cooled) the mem goes up and they are higher because off bad memorycooling on the M15x i know some may not agree but the main problem on the ati/amd cards is the memory they get way too hot and kill most cards. on my gtx970m the memory gets hotter than the GPU.

just an example running alien vs predator benchmark.

post-31574-14494999622477_thumb.jpg

post-31574-14494999624972_thumb.jpg

post-31574-14494999627441_thumb.jpg

For now, the best choice for me is 900/1300 and (Voltage3D in VBiosPatcher) 1075mV.

Everything works well.

In BT4 to 1080p and high settings and I have 28-40fps and temperature below 60 ° C.

Tries to increase the clock to 950/1350 and see what happens.

I do not care MEGA tune GPU.

I prefer more indirect setting. I prefer to have a weaker graphics and low temperature.

I do not know why in BT4 to 1080p and high settings I have 57-60 ° C, and as running FurMark 1.15 stress test and 1080p is the temperature goes above 80 * C ???

Hello,

Unfortunately, I have a new problem!

I do not know how it happened, but the graphics I cook.

Several times I ran FurMark and the temperature went over the 81-84 ° C (shut down the system), and now I keep on cooking.

When I play BT4, I have 100-140fps high settings, but the graphics quickly reaches 76-81 ° C.

I downgrade VBIOS but nothing change.

I replaced the thermal paste and pads and nothing.

Perhaps the reason lies in the pressure of the heatsink?

I'm using the same heat sink as in the previous 5850 and 5850 thread x-clamp was lower and more able to push the radiator.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mav3kjolkyna6bc/5850m.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dkvrujcbwr9qf5y/7970m.jpg?dl=0

What should be the thickness of the M15x Thermal pads.

I have 1mm 6mW

Unfortunately, I only have the original screws.

already thought about it and I think I need to replace them, because just turn up the blades will not do anything.

today lowered the voltage to 0.95 and BT3 and 4 was about 74-77 ° C in the game and went down menu to 80 * C.

How do you apply the paste on the GPU?

One dot, X or thin spreading with a spatula?

Temporarily changed a little pressure and changed the heatsink paste on the Zalman zm-StG2 and Uploader original bios from 1.050mV.

Now in BT4 sometimes I have 84 * C.

What worries me is that sometimes I get so weird FPS drops.

Everything works well and at times fall to around 25-28 FPS.

What could be causing this?

I have a 240W power supply, but not taken out the center pin.

in order to work well you need too take it out, also could be that youre CPU is bottle necking the system.......with the gtx970m and the 920xm mine does as well overclocking save's the day for me.

besides that a SSD works better.

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced the screws on the GPU and it is a little better.

I did not change the paste and pads.

Temporarily I did adapter PSU with a cut out center pin and ?????

I do not know as possible, but in BT4 where I was always 80-84 °C, now I have 63-65*C?

In BT3 where previously it was 82-84 °C, now I have 78*C.

I understand that the removal of the central pin of the power supply 240W removes the restriction 180W PSU with pin?

Do the same removal central pin may change like that the cooling system?

Hello,

I also use 7970M with 740QM, with the standard PSU. Based on my knowledge and discussion i had with some geeks here, you don't have to upgrade your PSU unless you are using Extreme CPU. My 7970M running well so far with max temp around 70-76c max. Let me share it with you.

1: What bracket do you use? If you are using this one --> http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m15x/6509-bracket-7970m.html, you have to grind all the 4 based and make it shorter (Use sand-metal and grind it 30% from the original length), thanks to @svl7 for this idea :D

2: I use svl7 bios and undervolt to 1.00v with default clocks.

3: I also use latest drivers by AMD for 7970M on Windows 8.1

4: Its good if you can re-paste your GPU.

PS : Your X bracket is very important imho for this matter.

Good luck!

I replaced the screws on the GPU and it is a little better.

I did not change the paste and pads.

Temporarily I did adapter PSU with a cut out center pin and ?????

I do not know as possible, but in BT4 where I was always 80-84 °C, now I have 63-65*C?

In BT3 where previously it was 82-84 °C, now I have 78*C.

I understand that the removal of the central pin of the power supply 240W removes the restriction 180W PSU with pin?

Do the same removal central pin may change like that the cooling system?

I think I now what is happend.

Probably when I turn on 240W PSU with a cut out central pin, Alien work in Stealth Mode.

Maybe when not charge battery, automatically change the mode to "stealth mode".

In that mode I have ~50FPS in BT4 and 50-60*C.

I don't now how could I not notice the difference between stealth mode "on" and "off". :)

I have oryginal bracket with long threads. :(

I use good screws with new paste, pads and I check difference bios with also undervoltge to 0.95.

Usually temporarily I have 85*C and still 75-77*C.

Maybe must be like that?

I don't know?

Now I have AMD Dell drivers for 7970m.

I had previously Catalyst Cristal and was the same.

Hello,

I also use 7970M with 740QM, with the standard PSU. Based on my knowledge and discussion i had with some geeks here, you don't have to upgrade your PSU unless you are using Extreme CPU. My 7970M running well so far with max temp around 70-76c max. Let me share it with you.

1: What bracket do you use? If you are using this one --> http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m15x/6509-bracket-7970m.html, you have to grind all the 4 based and make it shorter (Use sand-metal and grind it 30% from the original length), thanks to @svl7 for this idea :D

2: I use svl7 bios and undervolt to 1.00v with default clocks.

3: I also use latest drivers by AMD for 7970M on Windows 8.1

4: Its good if you can re-paste your GPU.

PS : Your X bracket is very important imho for this matter.

Good luck!

1: Still not good 0.95v and max temp is 77c.

2: Never heard Catalyst Crystal before (I am using latest AMD for 7970M now). I would avoid using stock drivers by DELL.

3: Stealth mode can be detected ON or OFF by using the OSD.

4: I still recommended you to hack the threads for X bracket (Original bracket)

5: Using stock PSU for m15x here without no problem.

Good luck.

I think I now what is happend.

Probably when I turn on 240W PSU with a cut out central pin, Alien work in Stealth Mode.

Maybe when not charge battery, automatically change the mode to "stealth mode".

In that mode I have ~50FPS in BT4 and 50-60*C.

I don't now how could I not notice the difference between stealth mode "on" and "off". :)

I have oryginal bracket with long threads. :(

I use good screws with new paste, pads and I check difference bios with also undervoltge to 0.95.

Usually temporarily I have 85*C and still 75-77*C.

Maybe must be like that?

I don't know?

Now I have AMD Dell drivers for 7970m.

I had previously Catalyst Cristal and was the same.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not know how is this possible?

I have the screws from Mike2628, now I cut the threads in the x-bracket and still have a problem with overheating in the card.

Now I have "Advance Micro Device" driver from Dell and undervoltage 1.0 rom from http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/1736-amd-7970m-modified-vbios.html

I play in BT4 1900 resolution, and occasionally I have over 85 * C and turn off the PC.

I have a new pastes, pads and still the same.

Sometimes I play with BT4 all day and I have near to 80*C, but sometimes my Alien quick temp rises under 84-85*C.

I try play with 240W PSU with center pin, without center pin and standars 150W PSU.

Always the same.

In addition, I use the stand for a laptop with a windmill.

What can I do ???

• 1 month later...

Any improvement by using drivers from AMD? Use DDU uninstaller to clean existing drivers, reboot, and download latest stable for 7xxx mobile card from amd dot com.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 7 months later...