Exceedingly slow Win8.1 bootup time

Is there a reason why an i5, 8GB ram laptop would take 10-20 minutes to boot up? The HDD passed DTS, no SMART errors, and the windows error checking found nothing, RAM has no issues, tested in a separate laptop. The system was restored from a Recovery partition (i.e. the OS partition was overwritten), same results, takes forever to boot up, granted the HDD is a 5400 rpm with barely any cache, but still it should not take that long, it booted just fine in the past... Bios? Some weird corrupt Recovery partition?

Click "windows button" then write in "msconfig" and press enter. In second tab there should be something like "advance options" and when u click it there's option in polish called "liczba procesorów" (sry not english user) in english probably something like "core number" set it to maximum possible and it should help a bit. If not I strongly suggest looking for SSD.

Number of Processors? I totally forgot about that option. I was tinkering with it for a little while (it's my friends laptop), and after re-installing a clean system (downloaded an install usb from Microsoft/not the OEM restore) it seems to start a lot faster, still not as fast as I'd like, but its down to about 45 sec - 1 min from a previous infinity of 20min... I'm going to see if I can shave that down a bit more...

I don't know if this is what's happening to you, but with my new laptop, after I reformatted it, the boot up was much slower until I went through several rounds of windows updates and restarts. Now it's just a little slow after logging in. Might be Windows 8.1. I think my windows 8 PC with an older processor and less RAM is quicker.

• 1 month later...