NVIDIA officially states they cut overclocking from mobile GPU's... :(

i approved that new 347.88 driver is overclockable as before ..! MSI GT72 GTX980M

so NaughtyVidia dont such a thing naughty again ..!

NaughtyVidia let this thing is your new motto as below;

:79:

It's meant to be OVERCLOCKED ..!

Maybe they tried to make new profit strategies in the future as below;

1080m stock 600$

1080m oc 700$

1080M ti OC 750$

JUST LIKE IN DESKTOP GPU MODELS...

NaughtyVIDIA If you try to do something like this Im gonna :Banane56: you ..!

Good news is 347.88 is also the first, and as of now only driver, to ignore the new core OCB (over-clock-block) bit in the vBIOS:

post-1023-14494999668508_thumb.jpg

Just to make sure they can't just block everyone with this bit again with a new driver in 6 months I will also keep removing the OCB in all my vBIOS Mods! ;)

GeForce 347.90 MS Update

This MS update driver is was available for both Win10 TP build 10041 & Win8.1, includes Optimus fix (CPL), Miracast, dynamic update and CUDA 7.0.31

ManuelG referring to v347.90

kvQkmnI.png

More lies from Nvidia...Alienware 17/M17x & AW18/M18x (PEG) throttling implementation, constant P0 P1 switching was removed from this driver and OCing truly restored, unlike 347.88 throttling mess, proving that AW throttling is intentional 'nvlddmkm.sys' (prior to clock-block drivers & FW) totally different behavior when compared to previous version (OCing workaround) which only lasts a few hours without throttling. The fact that NV removed throttling and/or other methods to hinder performance is probably due to Win10 TP telemetry and performance issues.

Microsoft promptly pulled 347.90 MS Update catalog, included INFs: nv_whql.inf Desktop and Mobile, single OEM nvdm.inf/Dell >GA aberration installation issues< "All OEMs"...;)

Ref. GeForce 347.90 MOD AW GTX 980M 970M

http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia/9434-geforce-347-90-mod-desktop-mobile-900-series.html

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

OK, here we go again:

- 347.88 & 347.90 have the clock block removed and ignores the vBIOS "OC-lock-bit" only partially:

(If you only unlock the core slider on a clock-block-vBIOS, then this driver will still limit you to only 135Mhz)

- 350.12 now no longer ignores the vBIOS "OC-lock-bit". So if you have a locked vBIOS, OC is gone entirely once again.

BUT, it doesn't end there...new lock bits have now also turned up on system BIOS level...more later after I am done testing.

So it boils down to this:

If you have a vBIOS dated before early December then OC works with 350.12.

If you have a vBIOS dated later than early December then OC is blocked once again.

If you have one of the new system BIOS with additional "OC-lock-bit" then, well...more later.

Ok ok ok.

So let me get this straight.

nVidia first released drivers and vBIOSes with OC being blocked.

Then they release exactly two drivers which ignore the vBIOS flag to block overclocking, as per promised.

Then while this is stewing, they start pushing OEMs and ODMs to introduce a BIOS-level OC block in GeForce GPUs, which is deeper than the vBIOS block, then release another driver (almost necessary for the big boy GTA 5 for some people)... which, while not "disabling" OCing, does not ignore the OC block in affected vBIOSes.

And I'm to assume they are pushing for OC blocked vBIOSes again too? What was that turnaround time, a month?

Why does Intel and nVidia find it so fucking hard to make good products for the mobile market? I don't know how to explain what I'm feeling, especially since I neither have a system that is affected by it nor will I likely ever have one the rate things are going, but it makes me want to scream and cry at the same time, to see something dear to me just... fall apart, without ANY reasoning whatsoever.

I don't even have any hope that AMD could begin to provide competition anymore. They've seen it fit to rebrand their entire line in the mobile market, as far as all information points. Tonga is terrible in the M295X, and it doesn't even hold a candle to a stock 980M anyway, so it's all but pointless.

980Ms have VRMs purposefully left off according to meaker's testing; so that people wouldn't OC them like a bat out of hell like is done on the 970Ms.

And we all know Clevo isn't particularly keen on making sure their users can overclock their GPUs...

And to top it all off, if I were to grab a pair of 980Ms or whatnot, I don't even have a BIOS that'll let me use 3D vision with them, which would be perfect with how well they'd run GTA 5 (which has an excellent rating) despite owning the actual 3D model of a notebook. Something I've always wanted to have.

AND THIS IS UNRELATED BUT MY 4800MQ IS A PIECE OF CRAP AND CAN'T BE STRESSED FOR LONG AT 3.9GHz WITHOUT A BLACK-SCREEN SHUTDOWN SO I LEAVE IT AT STOCK.

*RAGE*

If I can't buy a laptop in the near future that is overclock able then I'm going to desktop. That's the whole fun of buying a computer. Being able to play around with your hardware . If they take all that away then they take all the fun with it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

For those who want to avoid v350.12...GF v347.90 MS Update/full package http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia/9434-geforce-347-90-mod-desktop-mobile-900-series.html#post127799

• Desktop & Mobile 900 series
  • Latest GeForce Experience - version 2.4.1.21
  • Latest Games Profiles from v350.12
  • HD Audio Driver - version 1.3.33.0
  • PhysX v9.15.0324. If you are having issues with this version, re-install previous version 9.14.0702 from here
  • Optimus option included (.inf) - GTX 980M , 970M , 965M.

Next announcement prediction: encrypted system BIOS.

Not a good sign... *sigh*

Yeah. This is my last gaming laptop. I'll keep it probably for as long as relevant, but the market just doesn't seem to care as a whole, and the makers are dead set on breaking us.

Yeah. This is my last gaming laptop. I'll keep it probably for as long as relevant, but the market just doesn't seem to care as a whole, and the makers are dead set on breaking us.

Yeah Clevo adding a video card overclock bit block to their system BIOS, regardless of whether Prema can get rid of it or not, is the final nail in the coffin for laptop gaming for me.

Yeah Clevo adding a video card overclock bit block to their system BIOS, regardless of whether Prema can get rid of it or not, is the final nail in the coffin for laptop gaming for me.

This is the whole point. Clevo really doesn't care. I mean they make powerful systems, and regardless of overclocking the GPUs are powerful. But their general locked BIOSes and other such things just show they're more caring of their corporate customers I'd say.

*sigh* I called it. I called it last year when this was gaining traction and it's shown up now, in full force. I can't even say to go MSI because MSI is still using HQ chips, even though they promised they'd never block OCing with vBIOS etc.

This is the whole point. Clevo really doesn't care. I mean they make powerful systems, and regardless of overclocking the GPUs are powerful. But their general locked BIOSes and other such things just show they're more caring of their corporate customers I'd say.

*sigh* I called it. I called it last year when this was gaining traction and it's shown up now, in full force. I can't even say to go MSI because MSI is still using HQ chips, even though they promised they'd never block OCing with vBIOS etc.

Can't really say anything about the GPU. Intel is not making a mobile quad anymore. I half suspect that Clevo is using chips they bought in bulk and that when those are gone, it will be desktop or HQ as well.

I saw it coming too but it's still sad to see the end.

Can't really say anything about the GPU. Intel is not making a mobile quad anymore. I half suspect that Clevo is using chips they bought in bulk and that when those are gone, it will be desktop or HQ as well.

I saw it coming too but it's still sad to see the end.

Well they're still making mobile quads, but just terrible HQ ones.

And MSI's GT60/GT70 is still running too. They just cannot make board revisions or anything to them, as that'd require them to make BGA sockets.

But yeah, Intel wants integrated only. Only Clevo feels like bothering to use the desktop chips. It's the end of a long era. I can hope it'll rise again after being killed like a phoenix, but I doubt it. I just do.

Is Nvidia afraid that their next graphics card (Gtx1080m?) perform just a little more or likewise as a overclocked gtx980m? If Nvidia manages to help laptop manufacturers to stop overclocking of their mobile chip, maybe more people will buy a new laptop with next generation mobile chip...

Well they're still making mobile quads, but just terrible HQ ones.

And MSI's GT60/GT70 is still running too. They just cannot make board revisions or anything to them, as that'd require them to make BGA sockets.

But yeah, Intel wants integrated only. Only Clevo feels like bothering to use the desktop chips. It's the end of a long era. I can hope it'll rise again after being killed like a phoenix, but I doubt it. I just do.

I've always associated MQ with mobile quad, sorry for not explaining myself lol.

Is Nvidia afraid that their next graphics card (Gtx1080m?) perform just a little more or likewise as a overclocked gtx980m? If Nvidia manages to help laptop manufacturers to stop overclocking of their mobile chip, maybe more people will buy a new laptop with next generation mobile chip...

Nvidia already nerfed the power circuitry on the 980M along with using low voltage memory to offset overclocking gains a bit. But if they can get manufacturers to block it entirely, no doubt they'll go that route. Clevo locking down with BIOS does not surprise me at all and it wouldn't surprise me to see it activated out of the box on Sager models. Sager really hates replacing video cards... Or any parts really. The hassle I went through with my machine and their warranty process... Yeah.......

Even further with AMD the ultimate mobile fail, I'm guessing we will see two Maxwell rebrands and won't see Pascal until the end of 2016 or even early 2017. They have no motivation to do so. My prediction is overclocked 980M and then full GM204 before we even hear of mobile Pascal unless AMD comes out with something in 2016.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nvidia already nerfed the power circuitry on the 980M along with using low voltage memory to offset overclocking gains a bit. I'm guessing we will see two Maxwell rebrands and won't see Pascal until the end of 2016 or even early 2017. They have no motivation to do so. My prediction is overclocked 980M and then full GM204 before we even hear of mobile Pascal unless AMD comes out with something in 2016.

Yeah. I know about the power circuitry nerf and it's why I called the 980Ms the "680M part 2" all the time, even though ignoring the performance of it all and looking at the quality of the parts they used, they're far far far worse.

And as far as maxwell rebrands... I think they're pointless for the most part. They can't stretch their legs post 60Hz at 1080p because of CPU limitations and they aren't strong enough to reliably 4K (where the CPU would not be limited at all). And then we have the masses buying Y50s like hotcakes and ASUS machines like hotcakes and not caring about CPU strength or control or overclocking or anything. And thus the world moves on without us.

• Thumbs Up 2

If I can't buy a laptop in the near future that is overclock able then I'm going to desktop. That's the whole fun of buying a computer. Being able to play around with your hardware . If they take all that away then they take all the fun with it.

That's it. Thanks for saying it again. If i cant "play" with my hardware, i can simply buy a console...