NVIDIA officially states they cut overclocking from mobile GPU's... :(

Yeah I am referring to shadow play desktop capture. Works amazing on my desktop and I would love it on my laptop. There is no reason what so ever for it not to be on laptops. Nvidia do love gimping their mobile chips for no real reason. All said and done I still love Nvidia products. I just won't be upgrading to any new drivers till they either enable overclocking or someone mods the drivers.

We could be running on old drivers for a very long time!

Yeah I am referring to shadow play desktop capture. Works amazing on my desktop and I would love it on my laptop. There is no reason what so ever for it not to be on laptops. Nvidia do love gimping their mobile chips for no real reason. All said and done I still love Nvidia products. I just won't be upgrading to any new drivers till they either enable overclocking or someone mods the drivers.

We could be running on old drivers for a very long time!

Works amazing on laptops too, once you enable it in the registry. See video above for instructions. Enjoy.

post-3012-14494999458237_thumb.png

@135MHz/stock vBIOS 60°C "were not designed to support overclocking"...tragic.

post-3012-14494999455741_thumb.png

post-3012-14494999457328_thumb.png

post-3012-14494999458052_thumb.png

Stuck with drivers (again) & stock vBIOS, what a waste! I'm fed up with nvidia, driver bugs e.g. 680M & 780M blank screen/4 months and it was only fixed due to desktop 980 issues, mobile is always left behind. I'll keep hammering...:16_002:

post-3012-14494999455245_thumb.png

post-3012-14494999456261_thumb.png

post-3012-14494999456825_thumb.png

post-3012-14494999457855_thumb.png

• Thumbs Up 2

It most likely does indeed have to do with the OEMs wanting yearly upgrades... I mean everything is going soldered... Clevo releasing a soldered system is just blasphemous...

Clevo didn't really have a choice since no socketed CPU's were available unless they used the previous gen chips. They DID come out with the P750ZM though which uses a desktop CPU in a traditional 15.6" gaming laptop chassis so you can't go so hard on them. Only thing that they could do is if they made their own socket adapter for BGA chips with a socket on the mainboard. But that would be proprietary and likely not very efficient either.

With regards to the locked down overclocking I just hope that one of our talented BIOS modders can make a vBIOS that will simply unlock overclocking with software without the need to constantly flash to test clocks. Honestly, I hope that AMD does offer some decent competition with their R9 300 series but I'm not holding my breath and really it's irrelevant because I'm certain that Nvidia has plenty of options to trump whatever AMD has to offer, unless AMD secretly is able to outperform Nvidia by 2:1.

If they would have been thinking they would have done exactly that (used previous gen chips) instead of shipping filth like Alienware and the others. I realize some people are retarded and insist on having new stuff even when it is inferior, but all of the OEMs are chicken$hit retarded shills for selling Intel's BGA filth.

Its only a matter of time before all laptops are BGA. With the exception of Clevo and their desktop chip designs.

It's what most people want. Thin and light. They don't think about what they are giving up because they are completely uneducated about these things.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Wow Guys look what I got here:

One can have the settings desired written down in the bios an get them to work with the latest drivers (for now).

9e23b2-1424123582.jpg

Best regards

phila

Did you mod your own vBIOS, use Prema's, or svl7s to put your values in? NVidia can not block vBIOS flashing unless they move to a secure vBIOS that requires signed vbios files. The driver reads the value from the BIOS and does as it's told. This is even more true now that the desktop and laptop drivers are identical.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Did you mod your own vBIOS, use Prema's, or svl7s to put your values in? NVidia can not block vBIOS flashing unless they move to a secure vBIOS that requires signed vbios files. The driver reads the value from the BIOS and does as it's told. This is even more true now that the desktop and laptop drivers are identical.

I was over in the MSI Forums and got in contact with a very polite Mod there. He has an Mod request thread in the GT72 Notebooks section there. He asked me to send me the bios... And sent me the modded bios back - together with an installer ;-)

In fact I only had to disable the GTX980 in the System Manager and run the .bat file e sent me... So - it was not my doing...

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?board=51.0

Best regards

phila

Why would ya'll want shadowplay from nvidia anyway? You know their support is wonkey. You can't even use GFE without the internet. There are so many better pieces of recording software.

Yeah, that's why I use Afterburner. But that's beside the point. The point is Nvidia is artificially crippling functionality on its mobile GPUs.

And, that we enabled something we deserve to have if we decide we want it, whether they like it or not, LOL.

When did Afterburner get DWM (desktop) capture? I don't have any use for GFE, but ShadowPlay did a really nice job with the desktop capture.

- - - Updated - - -

Why would ya'll want shadowplay from nvidia anyway? You know their support is wonkey. You can't even use GFE without the internet. There are so many better pieces of recording software.
What, besides a hardware capture device, Afterburner or ShadowPlay?

I have afterburner, but I really never thought to use it for recording. I've been using bandicam for like 6 years now and really never had a need to look back. The only think that I don't like about it is that it can't record 3D. But other than that, it's been very trusty and it isn't that bad on hardware when recording. It also has where you can have your personal watermark on it without having to re-encode. And with our systems now, I'm sure it'll be just as fast or even faster than the shadowplay. I mean, you have to pay for bandicam and all but it's very good. Of course there are many others, but anything is better than dealing with nvidia's stuff.

When did Afterburner get DWM (desktop) capture?

About 4 years ago.

What, besides a hardware capture device, Afterburner or ShadowPlay?

OBS, XSplit, Raptr, PlayClaw, and Bandicam are some other recording/streaming software that use NVENC. I'm sure there are others I don't know about

I have afterburner, but I really never thought to use it for recording. I've been using bandicam for like 6 years now and really never had a need to look back. The only think that I don't like about it is that it can't record 3D. But other than that, it's been very trusty and it isn't that bad on hardware when recording. It also has where you can have your personal watermark on it without having to re-encode. And with our systems now, I'm sure it'll be just as fast or even faster than the shadowplay. I mean, you have to pay for bandicam and all but it's very good. Of course there are many others, but anything is better than dealing with nvidia's stuff.
You should at least try ShadowPlay. Not only is it free, it does an excellent job with extremely low resource usage and records directly to MP4. While GFE is trash, ShadowPlay is an excellent feature.
About 4 years ago.

OBS, XSplit, Raptr, PlayClaw, and Bandicam are some other recording/streaming software that use NVENC. I'm sure there are others I don't know about

My question had a typo (was falling asleep, LOL) and I meant to say "Afterburner or Fraps" instead of ShadowPlay. Now that I stop and think about it, I have actually used Afterburner for desktop capture, but I had issues getting it turned off sometimes... tried to stay turned on when I wanted it to be turned off and that was the only reason I stopped using it and went back to ShadowPlay..

I don't blame you, Fox. Afterburner has a really convoluted system of hotkeys for recording.

I would use ShadowPlay if it were a standalone separate from GFE w/o the Internet requirement. Not that it would ever happen.

BTW were you the voice actor for Optimus Prime in those old Transformers cartoons? :D

• Thumbs Up 1

No, but when my kids were little we had lots of fun with dad making scary voices, especially when they had friends sleep over. Sometimes on Halloween I would freak out the neighborhood kids that were trick or treating by growling at them from behind our lawn shrubbery under the cover of darkness.

I also have a couple of nieces that were terrified of me until they got to about age 5 and figured out I am a nice uncle.

I have a Lenovo Y510P-20217 (GT 750M no SLI), with the 347.25-notebook-win8-win7-64bit-international-whql drivers...

As I can understand from this thread, I can't longer overclock the VGA, but with NVIDIA Inspector 1.9.7.3 I can still do it. So do I am getting this thread wrong?

P.S.: Sorry about my english.

No, but when my kids were little we had lots of fun with dad making scary voices, especially when they had friends sleep over. Sometimes on Halloween I would freak out the neighborhood kids that were trick or treating by growling at them from behind our lawn shrubbery under the cover of darkness.

I also have a couple of nieces that were terrified of me until they got to about age 5 and figured out I am a nice uncle.

Haha, that made me laugh, I can imagine that - would be scary for a little kid hearing strange threatening noises from the bushes in darkness (& on Halloween!!).

• Thumbs Up 1

I've tried everything to get it to work but it just simply won't enable. the option is there but it just greyed out.

Hmm, after I did it the option was still greyed out like before. However, when I activate ShadowPlay via the on/off switch a small icon appears in the top right of the sample monitor in GFE.

See image below. I guess it's always on then.

post-32635-14494999462355_thumb.jpg