Dell GTX 860m Vbios

Theraardelia

Hey everyone, first time attempting to upgrade an m15x, so newb mistake here. I bought a gtx 860m that came from a clevo. Put it in, white screen after windows comes up. Boots in safe mode fine only to find that there's no hardware ID for my the 860, so my m15x isn't detecting it I suppose. I read that a guy put a 970 in an m15x, any chance anyone can help me figure out how to make an 860m work? I tried putting my 260 back in but somehow the card got borked and now with the 260 the m15x won't post just gets stuck in a recycling boot failure. So I was told on another forum that I need to flash the bios of the card to a Dell bios instead of a Clevo bios. I've combed through this site for a couple days now and can't find what i was told i needed, does anyone have any advice? Do I need a dell gpu bios? or is there something else that I need to do?

the entire issue we are experiencing is caused by the way the idt sound card contolled audio over the sound card. nvidia now includes this via the hdmi sound out and they conflict and cause the white screen. youll see how i went about getting it to work as you go through the steps

in order to modify an inf for you i need the cards code. this can be found by getting to device manager, get into the video cards properties, details tab hardware ID drop down

try the file i attached. hopefully its right

start by doing this

1. Disabled audio in bios (A09) and get the 770m fully working including the hdmi audio drivers. at this point my pc green screened but thats ok. I used the nvidiaoem 347.52 and uploaded a new inf file for you that will need to be dropped in the display.driver folder of the nvidia folder

m15x-860mi.zip

2. Enable audio in the bios.

3. Restart into safe mode and uninstall the generic High Definiton Audio Codec drivers from device manager.

4. Restart again and enter safe mode to install the latest dell audio drivers. Once this is done you should see the IDT control panel in control panel.

5. Disable all sound cards under Sound, video and game controllers including the IDT AND NVIDIA DRIVERS. For good measure also disable high definiton audio controller under system devices. Also go the the volume settings and set windows sounds to no sound.

6. Restart into full windows. You should be able to boot even with audio enabled in the bios now.

7. once in full windows reinstall the IDT drivers with the idt still disabled, this will enable it and force the driver. once complete you should have sound!!! DO NOT REBOOT YET OR YOU WILL GREEN SCREEN UPON BOOT

8. make sure to leave the nvidia hdmi audio disabled!!

9. disable and renable your video card. not sure why but this solved my issues!!! NOW YOU MAY REBOOT AND ENJOY YOUR PC AGAIN!

10. open the playback devices panel and disable the idt display port. leave the rest enabled

11. reinstall the nvidiadrivers and make sure to include the hdmi drivers.

12. reboot and plugin to a displayport (i use a displayport to hdmi adapterfor my tv)

13. open playback devices again and look to see if nvidiahdmi 0 has picked up your device.

14. set your nvidiahdmi0 to default.

15. sit back and enjoy your pc again.

16. remember do not reenable the idt displayport in playback or you will yellow screen and will need to boot to safemode to disable idt audio in the device manager

hmm. thats odd... maybe I forgot to include to disable the Nvidia HDMI in the control panel. that would more than likely cause your issue.

so edit it to

go back into safe mode and disable the sound cards (this is the only way you can get into full windows again) forget about disabling the audio controllers. just do the sound cards

5. Disable all sound cards under Sound, video and game controllers including the IDT AND NVIDIA DRIVERS.

6. Restart into full windows. You should be able to boot even with audio enabled in the bios now.

7. once in full windows reinstall the IDT drivers with the idt sound and nvidia sound drivers still disabled, this will enable idt and force the driver. once complete you should have sound!!! DO NOT REBOOT YET OR YOU WILL GREEN SCREEN UPON BOOT

9. disable and renable your video card. not sure why but this solved my issues!!! NOW YOU MAY REBOOT AND ENJOY YOUR PC AGAIN!

10. once rebooted open the playback devices panel and disable the idt display port and nvidia hdmi 1, 2, and 3 (our pcs only use one hdmi outpu) leave the rest enabled

11. reinstall the nvidia drivers and make sure to include the hdmi drivers. (this will force the nvidia sound card and drivers)

12. reboot, make sure IDT display port is still disabled in the sound devices. then plugin to a displayport (i use a displayport to hdmi adapterfor my tv)

13. open playback devices again and look to see if nvidia hdmi 0 has picked up your device.

16. remember DO NOT reenable the idt displayport in playback or you will yellow/white screen and will need to boot to safemode to disable idt audio in the device manager and follow step 7 again

hmm. thats odd... maybe I forgot to include to disable the Nvidia HDMI in the control panel. that would more than likely cause your issue.

so edit it to

go back into safe mode and disable the sound cards (this is the only way you can get into full windows again) forget about disabling the audio controllers. just do the sound cards

5. Disable all sound cards under Sound, video and game controllers including the IDT AND NVIDIA DRIVERS.

7. once in full windows reinstall the IDT drivers with the idt sound and nvidia sound drivers still disabled, this will enable idt and force the driver. once complete you should have sound!!! DO NOT REBOOT YET OR YOU WILL GREEN SCREEN UPON BOOT

10. once rebooted open the playback devices panel and disable the idt display port and nvidia hdmi 1, 2, and 3 (our pcs only use one hdmi outpu) leave the rest enabled

11. reinstall the nvidia drivers and make sure to include the hdmi drivers. (this will force the nvidia sound card and drivers)

12. reboot, make sure IDT display port is still disabled in the sound devices. then plugin to a displayport (i use a displayport to hdmi adapterfor my tv)

13. open playback devices again and look to see if nvidia hdmi 0 has picked up your device.

16. remember DO NOT reenable the idt displayport in playback or you will yellow/white screen and will need to boot to safemode to disable idt audio in the device manager and follow step 7 again

This is exactly what i did, however, when installing the drivers in step 7 the screen went white again when the installation started up the IDT hardware and forced the drivers.

This is exactly what i did, however, when installing the drivers in step 7 the screen went white again when the installation started up the IDT hardware and forced the drivers.

What if you restart into full windows. Disable all of the nvidia hdmi playback devices. Then push the idt drivers? If you do this you must make sure to disable the idt playback device for display port before rebooting and enabling the nvidia hdmi. Also make sure to disable and reenable the video card in the device manager

What about Uninstall the nvidia drivers with ddu in safemode. Reboot into full windows don't install the nvidia drivers but do the IDT and disable the display port in sound devices?

The whole issue stems from the display port sound being useD by the idt and nvidia hdmi. So to get past it we have to fool it. keep trying something will eventually work.

the entire issue we are experiencing is caused by the way the idt sound card contolled audio over the sound card. nvidia now includes this via the hdmi sound out and they conflict and cause the white screen. youll see how i went about getting it to work as you go through the steps

in order to modify an inf for you i need the cards code. this can be found by getting to device manager, get into the video cards properties, details tab hardware ID drop down

try the file i attached. hopefully its right

start by doing this

1. Disabled audio in bios (A09) and get the 770m fully working including the hdmi audio drivers. at this point my pc green screened but thats ok. I used the nvidiaoem 347.52 and uploaded a new inf file for you that will need to be dropped in the display.driver folder of the nvidia folder

[ATTACH]14022[/ATTACH]

2. Enable audio in the bios.

3. Restart into safe mode and uninstall the generic High Definiton Audio Codec drivers from device manager.

4. Restart again and enter safe mode to install the latest dell audio drivers. Once this is done you should see the IDT control panel in control panel.

5. Disable all sound cards under Sound, video and game controllers including the IDT AND NVIDIA DRIVERS. For good measure also disable high definiton audio controller under system devices. Also go the the volume settings and set windows sounds to no sound.

7. once in full windows reinstall the IDT drivers with the idt still disabled, this will enable it and force the driver. once complete you should have sound!!! DO NOT REBOOT YET OR YOU WILL GREEN SCREEN UPON BOOT

10. open the playback devices panel and disable the idt display port. leave the rest enabled

11. reinstall the nvidiadrivers and make sure to include the hdmi drivers.

12. reboot and plugin to a displayport (i use a displayport to hdmi adapterfor my tv)

13. open playback devices again and look to see if nvidiahdmi 0 has picked up your device.

16. remember do not reenable the idt displayport in playback or you will yellow screen and will need to boot to safemode to disable idt audio in the device manager

I never had to disable sound for the 770m.

• 4 weeks later...

Just installed a 860M GK104 in my M17x R2.

The card works well apart from the fact that I can't turn off the display.

Whenever the display is turned off (before or after BIOS post), the laptop LCD goes white.

I have a RGB LED display.

I have tried the modded inf in this thread but unfortunately it doesn't work...

I have also flashed the card with an NVidia stock vBIOS (originally it had a Dell vBIOS). The card works great but I still get the white screen problem.

Any ideas would be welcomed.

Thank you

• 10 months later...

Hi, I recently bought a GTX 860m from a Clevo as well and I'm trying to install it into my Alienware m17x R4.  After weeks of periodically working on this in my free time, other forum's threads have led me to this site!

The problem I'm having is that the OEM Nvidia & the Dell drivers do not see my card:

"Install Cannot Continue - The Graphics Driver Could Not Find Compatible Graphics Hardware."

I have been able to get the latest OEM Nvidia drivers to install by modifying the INF file as described in this thread:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/513621/geforce-mobile-gpus/installer-cannot-continue-the-graphics-driver-could-not-find-compatible-graphics-hardware-installer-/1

However, even though my Windows 10 version 1511 (OS Build 10586.63) now has drivers installed, none of my programs still can't see the GPU card?  I've tried Photoshop CC 2015, Assassin's Creed Syndicate and Rainbow 6 Siege, etc.

I have posted help questions on every site I can think of: Dell, Alienware, Nvidia, uPlay, Adobe, etc.

My question to OP is, did installing a different VBIOS allow you to install drivers without messing with any INF hacks?  If so, how do you install different VBIOS?

I'm hoping that if I can install an OEM Nvidia driver from their website without hacking the INF, then my programs should be able to use the graphics card.

I don't really know what else to do, I've been at this for weeks and I even did a fresh install of Windows to start from a clean slate.

Thank you!  I really hope this forum will finally end my long search on how to get my card working!

I feel like there's hope this time because this is the only forum that brought up VBIOS, which I have never heard about in any of the other forums.

Edited by TechPanda