M14x - i need help with specs

Fisrt of all, hello everybody i'm new to the forum, i came here after watching a video by ----> ''stevenxowens792''

I'm about to buy an Alienware M14x with the following specs:

Intel® Core™ i7 2630QM 2.0GHz (2.9GHz w/Turbo Boost, 6MB Cache)

Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate, 64bit

Intel® Wireless-N WiFi Link 1000 a/g/n 1x2

6GB DDR3 at 1600MHz

3.0GB DDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M using NVIDIA Optimus™ technology

500GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s

14.0" High Def (720p/1366x768) with WLED backlight

I was told in other forum that this laptop wasn't able to run games like Battlefield: Bad Company 2 or Crysis 2

but then i saw this video ‪ALIENWARE M14X GAME VIDEO Fraps Recording‬‏ - YouTube and noticed that his laptop had minor specs (like RAM and the video card) and was able to run these games perfectly while recording with fraps at 720p...

Can anyone here tell me if this laptop is powerful enough to run this games? :Banane25:

Intel® Core™ i7 2630QM 2.0GHz (2.9GHz w/Turbo Boost, 6MB Cache)

Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate, 64bit

Intel® Wireless-N WiFi Link 1000 a/g/n 1x2

6GB DDR3 at 1600MHz

3.0GB DDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M using NVIDIA Optimus™ technology

500GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s

14.0" High Def (720p/1366x768) with WLED backlight

Hi,

One thing I'll point out that's the biggest waste of money for gaming is the 3GB version of the GT555m, you don't need it, go with the 1GB one, it's more than adequate for games of this day and age still. With that money saved, you could look at getting the i7 2720QM instead (for CPU) as some games generally use CPU and GPU power quite intensively, but really the GPU is the bottleneck of the M14x (not to say that it's not good though, overclock it and it's even better!). If you're satisfied with not having a high res screen then the screen is fine, you could always connect it to an external monitor or projector anyway. The amount of RAM is sufficient, I have 8GB but 6-8 is ample. Apart from that, that's my advice, hope it's helpful.

I run games like TF2, GTA IV, the latest COD, all fine, GTA IV has a slight issue with the GPU information though, but plays quite well imo. Welcome to TI by the way.

>Other Forum

>notebookreview

anyways, I'd have to say drop the 3gb GPU, and then upgrade your ram by yourself. For $80 you can get 8gb of RAM on newegg, let aloe 100$ for 6gbs' (Dells pricing..)

With that money you can invest in something better, like the 2720QM like Ixel said. I have the m14x and its like a desktop replacement in terms of games.

EDIT: Also definitly get the bigfoot wireless upgrade, and the 1600x900 screen

Thanks all for chiming in. The current m14x is a nice mid level gaming notebook. With the Nvidia 555mGT it can play games at 1366x768 at high/ultra levels, at 900p at medium-high levels and at 1080p at medium level. As of now we can't really find a difference (besides price) between the 1.5gb and the 3.0gb version of the 555mGT. We ran benchmarks for 3dmark11 and no difference.

CPU - The 2630 is a great match for the 555mGT as it's more than enough for the gpu. I do think though that the 2720 is probably the best choice in cpu for the dollar and if I had it over again I probably would have purchased that myself.

Wireless and all that other stuff is personal preference in my opinion. So order to suit your additional peripherals.. (ie dont order the fastest wifi if you have a slow@ss DSL connection like mine).

Good Luck and thanks for posting! glad you found us.

Best Wishes,

StevenX

Edited by Stevenxowens792

Thanks all for chiming in. The current m14x is a nice mid level gaming notebook. With the Nvidia 555mGT it can play games at 1366x768 at high/ultra levels, at 900p at medium-high levels and at 1080p at medium level. As of now we can't really find a difference (besides price) between the 1.5gb and the 3.0gb version of the 555mGT. We ran benchmarks for 3dmark11 and no difference.

CPU - The 2630 is a great match for the 555mGT as it's more than enough for the gpu. I do think though that the 2720 is probably the best choice in cpu for the dollar and if I had it over again I probably would have purchased that myself.

Wireless and all that other stuff is personal preference in my opinion. So order to suit your additional peripherals.. (ie dont order the fastest wifi if you have a slow@ss DSL connection like mine).

Good Luck and thanks for posting! glad you found us.

Best Wishes,

StevenX

Ok perfect, then ill buy this one :)