Quite a bit... almost 200 bucks for getting it milled. Designing the part takes a lot of time, especially all the measuring. It helps if you're familiar with CAD, I had to learn it from scratch.

If you decided to produce a small series the prices rapidly decreases, so if you really want to do this you might want to consider looking for some other interested R2 owners.

• 2 weeks later...
hmm, i might do just that between now and the time I start school. Thanks friend :)

(BTW, for those who think Project Legacy is dead...it isn't.)

well you'll have to keep us out of the dark on that one... now wont you :):P

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4122[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4123[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]4115[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]4116[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]4120[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]4121[/ATTACH]

Finally... :) Obviously it's not finished yet, still needs the heatpipes and fins mounted to it.

Got it milled as a custom job at a small German company which mainly specializes on liquid cooling solutions for Desktop hardware (liquid-extasy.de). It wasn't cheap, but one has to take into account that it's a single custom piece, and setting up the machine etc. simply needs some time. Considering this I'd say the price was fair, and so far I'm very happy with the result, though I only did some quick checks as I didn't have time for a thorough examination.

The only negative point is that it took way too long to get manufactured. The agreed deadline has not been met at all, which is naturally highly unacceptable.

Anyway, I finally got my milled piece of copper, and as already mentioned, so far the quality of the work seems excellent.

One thing I worried about were the mounting posts for the clips of the original M15x heatsink, which I use in my custom design as well. It seems my measuring has been accurate enough (fortunately!!) and the milling is highly precise as well (didn't measure it so far, but the clips fit perfectly :)) Also notice the MXM backplate looking through the holes in the clips in the last picture, a quite important detail... since it indicates that my design is precise.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4118[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]4117[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]4119[/ATTACH]

I'm really happy that all seems to be fine so far, I hope that I can finish this soon.

omg you should do a group buy for these things

With a more recent model... maybe, yeah. But with the M15x? No, it's almost obsolete... If anyone is interested in the file for the 3d model... I'm sure we can find a solution, don't hesitate to PM me.

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news :( This project is on hold atm, the guy who told me he could do the soldering stuff for me is fucking botcher, never seen something that bad... Too worse to post a pic.

Heatpipes got inflated, he must've used way too much heat, and it seems he didn't really treat the milled heatsink with a lot of care, but the worst thing is that it doesn't even fit, the fucker mounted the pipes about 0.5 cm away from the edge... stupidity reached a new level, seriously.

Lesson learned, next time I do all the stuff myself, don't trust such fuckers. Could've done it way better even though I'm not used to such work.

Dunno whether I'll finish this anytime soon, or at all, put enough money and time in this, not really worth any more, especially since the 7970m runs very cool.

The sad thing is that the heatsink would fit perfectly (well, quite a bit of work behind the design)... damn this shit.

Edited by svl7

Its not even my work money or time lost but i feel your pain. That thing was total win from ground up and to have it broken so quickly i would be passed too. Is there anyway to disorder the entire mess he made without making anymore damage than he already did to the copper. I am so sorry Marco i wish it had never been touched by anyone but you.

• Thumbs Up 1

at the moment i dont expect you to be anything but pissed at this a$$hole who obviously didnt care about the work. you put blood sweat and tears in... figuratively and this guy put in an no effort to do it right.you shouldnt of had to learn any lesson. people shouldnt work on things when they are not capable or dont care of how well its done. when your not as upset, i hope you figure a atleast acceptable course of corrective actions to get your project back on course.

• Founder
Bad news :( This project is on hold atm, the guy who told me he could do the soldering stuff for me is fucking botcher, never seen something that bad... Too worse to post a pic.

Heatpipes got inflated, he must've used way too much heat, and it seems he didn't really treat the milled heatsink with a lot of care, but the worst thing is that it doesn't even fit, the fucker mounted the pipes about 0.5 cm away from the edge... stupidity reached a new level, seriously.

Lesson learned, next time I do all the stuff myself, don't trust such fuckers. Could've done it way better even though I'm not used to such work.

Dunno whether I'll finish this anytime soon, or at all, put enough money and time in this, not really worth any more, especially since the 7970m runs very cool.

The sad thing is that the heatsink would fit perfectly (well, quite a bit of work behind the design)... damn this shit.

How much money would it cost to mill another sink? Maybe we could get some of the T|I guys to chip in for another to see this thing completed. I'll put $20 towards the effort.

• Founder
How much money would it cost to mill another sink? Maybe we could get some of the T|I guys to chip in for another to see this thing completed. I'll put $20 towards the effort.

same here, count me in for 20-30 bucks!

Hey, thanks a lot guys! :) The milled part is still okay, even though it doesn't really look nice anymore (scratched, some solder spills here and there... but the back is ok). If I'm going to try it again I should be able to reuse it, depending on how well I can remove all the solder there. I really don't think it's worth getting another one milled, but I really appreciate the offer, thank you very much!!

What I'm going to need is another M15x heatsink for the pipes and fins, in case I find a cheap one I might give it a try, but it's not worth investing a lot more money in this... I rather save my bucks for a new system. And as I said, the 7970m runs pretty cool, so it's actually not that important anymore.

I would have already ordered a new M15x heatsink if I had the tools to solder the stuff myself. Since this isn't the case I need to see how I can mount the heatpipes to the heatsink before I do any other step. Besides, there's another project keeping me busy ;)

Edited by svl7

Marco I hope it works out. Perhaps a spare heatsink will turn up. You need some fancy tools to solder copper piping right? The other project is that the vbios one ;) ?

Widezu you are one good guy! That's so gracious and kind of you. Thanks for being so nice. Marco worked so hard on this and you came in and saved the day :)

• 1 month later...