He's Dead Jim

Toopy

post-7765-14494999128918_thumb.jpg

RIp my poor GTX675MX,

you were so kind to me with your locked bios chip that I had to source spares and a programmer,

flash a new chip and perform open vbios transplant surgery so I could clock past 823Mhz. Good thing I had a rework station already.

Anyway from what I can tell it seems that one of the ram chips has died a horrific death (maybe), I can still flash/read/change the bios etc so its not that.

Was running at ~1130GPU and 1230(4920DDR) on the ram, pushing for higher without thermal throttling in kombuster when everything crashed and upon restart I'm left with this.

Now go to hell you dam 675mx that required surgery to flash you vbios, I was looking for an excuse to upgrade to a 970/80M anyway so here it is.

However in the meantime(until prema gets these bios mods done) it surely will be missed.

• Founder

Doesn't seem like 1230 ram would kill a DDR chip, not unless you were applying some insane voltage to them. Regardless, sucks but I guess now you can grab a 970/980m.

Like I said in the shoutbox, don't run Kombustor on a laptop, especially one with an svl7 bios. Nvidia has bios level power limitations that kick in for Kombustor. Even with this limitation, Kombustor still draws as much power as the most demanding games. Svl7's mod to remove throttling in games also removes throttling in Kombustor, which means Kombustor draws absurd amounts of power.

I doubt that a chip went bad, and that you probably lost a solder joint. It's very hard to kill a chip with heat. One time when repairing an integrated GPU on a motherboard with a heat gun I overheated board so badly that I partially melted the plastic CPU socket, which was over an inch away under aluminum foil. These sockets are built for going through a reflow oven and can withstand 250C. I must have had the GPU well over 300C, but it worked like it was new after the repair.

The bad news is error 43 means no functionality, so the card probably needs a reball, but if you really think a particular RAM chip is bad, I have a dead 680m with 16 still functional memory chips. if you can figure out which one, I can swap it out for you. Memory is fairly easy to replace as long as it's just 1 chip and not all 16. Again though, I suspect that the core needs to be reballed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah man that sucks, that's why I only remove the throttle and leave the thermal protection active at 87c...software like Kombustor and Furmark otherwise eat GPUs for breakfast...

Maybe send Khenglish your gpu to improve his re-balling skills. ;)

Just to be clear these are what I'm after hey?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13635[/ATTACH]

Maybe prema can confirm?

That's what you want! :)

Like I said in the shoutbox, don't run Kombustor on a laptop, especially one with an svl7 bios. Nvidia has bios level power limitations that kick in for Kombustor. Even with this limitation, Kombustor still draws as much power as the most demanding games. Svl7's mod to remove throttling in games also removes throttling in Kombustor, which means Kombustor draws absurd amounts of power.

I doubt that a chip went bad, and that you probably lost a solder joint. It's very hard to kill a chip with heat. One time when repairing an integrated GPU on a motherboard with a heat gun I overheated board so badly that I partially melted the plastic CPU socket, which was over an inch away under aluminum foil. These sockets are built for going through a reflow oven and can withstand 250C. I must have had the GPU well over 300C, but it worked like it was new after the repair.

The bad news is error 43 means no functionality, so the card probably needs a reball, but if you really think a particular RAM chip is bad, I have a dead 680m with 16 still functional memory chips. if you can figure out which one, I can swap it out for you. Memory is fairly easy to replace as long as it's just 1 chip and not all 16. Again though, I suspect that the core needs to be reballed.

Yes lesson learnt, kombuster will never touch my new card. After some thought about your post it's more probable that one of the balls on the bottom of the gpu leading to one the ram chips has gone o/c. Maybe I should give a reball a go, haven't done anything so complex as a gpu but have done a couple of smaller chips.

Ah man that sucks, that's why I only remove the throttle and leave the thermal protection active at 87c...software like Kombustor and Furmark otherwise eat GPUs for breakfast...

Maybe send Khenglish your gpu to improve his re-balling skills. ;)

That's what you want! :)

Thanks for the confirmation prema, now just to wait on your mods for the P170EM

As for purchasing a 970m or 980m, if you're in the US you can buy from rj-tech. Their prices are much lower than what you linked.

Laptop Video Cards - R&J Technology, Clevo Barebone Notebook kits, Laptop and desktop system builder

Thanks for that not in the USA but can always use a forwarder, I'm in Australia so where ever I get it from it will almost certainly be from overseas.

• 2 weeks later...
Have decided to go for the full fledged 980m after reading this,

GTX 970 memory bug reportedly cripples performance in memory intensive scenarios | ExtremeTech

AnandTech | NVIDIA Publishes Statement on GeForce GTX 970 Memory Allocation

not sure if this is applicable to the m series though

It's not. 970m has full memory blocks disabled as well as L2 cache. Even if it is affected the 970m has 50% more ram than the 970.