1762 Barebone VGA upgrade

funkyboy

Hello everyone,

i've a MSI barebone equipped with 1762 mainboard and the unlucky GTX 675m.

I've installed this MSI bios E1762IMS.51X

post-31922-14494999126689_thumb.png

After the "death" of my vga i have to upgrade it.

I've find an MSI vesion of the GX 870M and i've to know if it is compatible.

Thank you guru....

Fabio

Ah, you've got the 2nd card from 5482741 :) I bought the first, but unfortunately it is not there yet ... USPS has made a mistake and sent the package as not to be tracked mail, although it was sent as a package , on December 23, it was sent, let's see when it arrives.

you need 0.5mm for the vRAM and 1mm for the voltage converter, at this point can the 0.5mm also work...

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I also have a 1762 whitebook and I am considering a GPU upgrade (from 675m to 870m), but I have a couple of questions. What bios version do you use ? I have the E1762IMT.10C, would the card work without changing anything? Do I have to take note of something else ? By the way did your new card work ? Thanks anyways

Hi, I also have a 1762 whitebook and I am considering a GPU upgrade (from 675m to 870m), but I have a couple of questions. What bios version do you use ? I have the E1762IMT.10C, would the card work without changing anything? Do I have to take note of something else ? By the way did your new card work ? Thanks anyways

I'm still waiting for the card .....

About the bios you must install E1762IMS.51X, should be compatible with all kepler cards.

It is then necessary to change the heat sink as explained in the second post.

As soon as I get the card I hope to update you with good news.

Ok, I have looked up the manufacturer site of my notebook, and didnt find anything. They dont offer any bios downloads (just drivers). I think i will try the ms-1762 unlocked bios from the g-sereis unlocked thread. You said you bought it on NBR, what does it stand for ?

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if supports 980m but it's sure that 870m works well.

Finally I got the heat sink and I assembled everything, was sufficient to install the latest drivers available and the card works wonders!!

post-31922-14494999501509_thumb.gif

Compared to the old 675m temperatures are 10-12 ° C lower .... awesome!!

Bye

Fabio

Funkyboy,

Just to confirm, your laptop is indeed a 1762 barebone, and not the retail version?

I have spoken with Svet and the way he explained things is that the .51X bios (as well as the .71X bios) are made for the retail version of the 1762 (there's also a version for the 15" 16F3), flashing this bios on a barebone system is in fact "cross flashing", your system is indeed the barebone 1762? everything went smoothly with the bios update to .51X ? what was your old bios version?(mine is still .30U)

Hello samXLR,

I confirm that my notebook is 1762 barebone, I bought it from DevilTech. The original version of the bios was E1762IG6.30J.

I flashed .51X without problem and all works great.

Thank you! I can't stress enough how much this small bit of information was driving me up a wall, I am so relieved to learn that its okay and that I can flash to .51X

Edit: Did you have that bios unlocked by Svet? also are you running windows 7 or windows 8\8.1?

By the way, did you get a chance to run 3dmark13's firestrike standard test yet?

While I am looking forward to see your 3dmark results(upgraded gpu systems are not very common and when you normally see results for 800 series cards its with systems that shipped with 4th gen intel cpu, so seeing a 3rd gen or even 2nd gen intel cpu + 800 series or 900 series gpu is something both rare and informative, it helps put the value of cpu upgrade (or lack of) in place, similar to z97 desktop "K" suffix cpu + mobile gpu, just goes to show you how things compare)

The thing with the OS is that from what I gathered, depending on your eh... this might get a little complicated, well, in short you can either be using a MBR (master boot record) or GPT (GUID Partition Table) to tell your computer where your operation system is installed and how to access it (and the different drives of your system), with the later (gpt) being newer and supporting other operation systems besides windows (linux?) as well as drives that are bigger than 2TB.

GPT is also somehow assoitied with UEFI which I .. was thinking refered to the new "pretty" type of bios(s) [the ones with support four a mouse and even a browser and .. stuff] but I'm actually not sure.

Now from what I understand, its possible that with locked bios your system is "rigged" to only work with one of the above combinations, and should you try to install windows on a fresh disk in another type of configuration it will simply not boot, and the point of unlocked bios for cpus that are locked and cant be overclocked was just for the sake of being able to change this advance boot settings (UEFI enable\disable - for example) and thus enabling you to swap from 7 to 8 and later 10.

I am already on 8, but as my other drive is 2TB and not bigger than 2TB I am using the old MBR and .. i think my UEFI is disabled, despite having an unlocked bios.

And I am planning in the future to upgrade to windows 10 (I think it kicks ass but... logic\opinions a side) I just don't want to end up being "locked out" of being able to boot a new OS due to bios being locked...

I am guessing im just making a mess of all of this technical terms and that everything will just be "alright" when time comes to upgrade to 10 / that if I was to flash .51X right now (despite not yet obtaining a new 980m) that my windows 8.1 would still boot

Most impressive results! especially considering that normally an 4700HQ or 4800MQ only score ~4700points, and that your 675M used to score around 2200points, it definitely makes more sense to upgrade the GPU instead of the cpu+gpu, heck you just gained +- an addition of 100% performance!

I'll be keeping this thread open in anticipation for your windows 8.1 installation's experience report =p if everything goes smoothly for you than we really are in the clear :D

if you do fresh install, I recommend/suggest that you go with GPT instead of MBR, this might require toggling the UEFI settings in your bios to "enabled"

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi

it also supports ATi HD cards- they are much cheaper to get

for your interest:

i upgrated it with a ATI HD 7970m- with standart CPU i7-3610Qm you`ll get a firestrike13 nearly 4,6k without overclocking under Windows10-

(Windows7 value will be higher than Windows10 because of drivers   +200 to +300 points)

Futuremark3D-13.jpg

Edited by Raha

you Can modify!

1. You can buy it:

Sample:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/NEW-MSI-Heat-Sink-ATI-Radeon-HD-7970M-8970M-for-msi-GX60-70-GT60-70-/151834323595?hash=item235a07ea8b:g:9GkAAOSw0HVWDGyi

2. Modify original Heatplate for GTX670m will take only 1 Hour - i will make a description for it with fotos here next days

I can modify,but not everyone can.

It is nonsens to buy a Heatsink for nearly 75-90€ for  a HD9870M when it is possible to use the GTX 670M Heatpipe for a Keplercard like K5000M with the Power of GTX 780M to GTX 880M

A K5000M or K41000M is cheaper and it needs only a little more Thermal Paste.

beaer.thumb.jpg.754476e291b9969c8bd6240c

? The K5000M has a GK104 Chip  Kepler-Serie and has the same layout like the GTX680--Not more--else you will overclock it extrem but the layer will stand as it is!!

Only 1.344 shader instead of 1.536 like the GTX780M and NO GPU Boost 2.0

http://www.notebookcheck.com/NVIDIA-Quadro-K5000M.76843.0.html

i think you are German you can read it by yourself!

Why do you think it is a GTX780- 880M?

You have to buy a K4100 for GTX780M layout and flash it with new vbios for this!

prices are the same - can get it for nearly 270$ in Ebay

i only showed how to change it- everybody can choose by himself what card he wants to take

(i bought my HD7970M for 60€ in Ebay as defekt and after flashing MSI Vbios it runs like hell....)

Kölle Alaaf der bergische Jung aus Wuppertal

Edited by Raha