eGPU cases

Dschijn

This is going to be a Thread where I would like to collect possible eGPU cases. This is interessting for people who would like to use e.g. the AKiTIO Thunder2 with

- a riser card

- long and powerful graphics card

- better cooling

- desktop PSU

------------------------------------------------------

Please be aware that some cases need a 90° riser, because a flexible riser can't handle the lack of space (e.g. Cooler Master Elite series):

http://www.delock.de/produkte/G_41788/merkmale.html?setLanguage=en

------------------------------------------------------

Silverstone

- FTZ01 - Fortress Series - SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd.- INTRODUCTION?FTZ01

- FT03 - Fortress Series - SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd.- INTRODUCTION?FT03

- FT03 Mini - Fortress Series - SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd.- INTRODUCTION?FT03-MINI

- RVZ01 - Raven Series - RAVEN by SilverStone

- RVZ02 - Raven Series - even slimmer version - announced @ CES 2015

- ML07 - Milo Series - SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd.- INTRODUCTION?ML07

- ML08 - Milo Series - http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?area=de&pid=607

- SG05 - Sugo Series - SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd.- INTRODUCTION?SG05

- SG13 - Sugo Series - SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd.- INTRODUCTION?SG13

Cooler Master

- Elite 130 - Elite Series - Cooler Master: Elite 130

- Elite 120 Advanced - Elite Series - Cooler Master: Elite 120 Advanced

- Elite 110 - Elite Series - Cooler Master: Elite 110

Lian Li

- Lian Li PC-Q01A -

Xigmatek

- Xigmatek Octans - http://www.xigmatek.com/product.php?productid=237

dan

- A4 - A4: The smallest gaming case series in the world - [H]ard|Forum

Ncase

- M1 - https://www.ncases.com/

In Win

- 901 - http://www.inwin-style.com/en/

EVGA

Hadron Air - http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=110-MA-1001-K1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SFX-PSUs:

SilverStone - Strider Series - SST-ST30SF 300W - 1x6-Pin PCIe

SilverStone - Strider Series - SST-ST45SF 450W - 1x6-Pin + 1x8-Pin PCIe

SilverStone - Strider Gold Series - SST-ST45SF-G 450W - 1x6-Pin + 1x8-Pin PCIe

SilverStone - Strider Series - SST-SX600-G 600W - 2x8-Pin PCIe

be quiet! - SFX Power 2 400W - 1x8-Pin PCIe

be quiet! - SFX Power 2 400W - 1x8-Pin PCIe

SFX-L-PSUs (120mm fan):

Silverstone - SX500-LG - 2x8-Pin PCIe - SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd.- INTRODUCTION?SX500-LG

Chieftec - SFX-500GD-C - 2x8-Pin PCIe - SFX-500GD-C (500Watt / SFX-Form factor / 80PLUS Gold)

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm using the Silverstone Sugo SG05. It looks bigger in the pictures that it actually is. The footprint is about that of a shoe box, 10.8L volume-wise, can take a 10 inch long GPU (maybe even 10.5 inch one) and is fairly inexpensive (I got mine for less than $30). Unfortunately full length 11-inch cards won't fit but the Sugo SG05 can modded to be accommodate one by cutting the inner metal panel. The new Sugo SG13 is supposed to have an extra .5 inch of clearance and may be a better option at this point.

There isn't enough clearance at the bottom of the case to connect a standard powered PCIe x16 ribbon cable to the GPU so I'm also using a Supermicro RSC-R1UG-E16R-X9 right angle PCIe adapter.

For PSU, I'm using the Silverstone ST45SF-G 450W SFX 80+ Gold v2.0. It's got a nice max 37A on the 12V rail (which should be enough for any GPU) and is fairly quiet - just make sure not to get the v1.0 which suffered from a noisy fan. V2.0 has a new fan and smoother speed ramping.

I would like to add also: the coming A4.

A4: The smallest gaming case series in the world - Page 41 - [H]ard|Forum

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13584[/ATTACH]

That A4 looks gorgeous. I might get one myself to try out as an eGPU case.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you, that you like my design :) Here are some more pictures:

Really nice work with the case!

Would be all kinds of amazing if you'd use your skills to provide a custom chassi with small foot print for the Akitio 2 (1U or perhaps external brick).

I'd gladly pay for a neat solution and I'm sure other would too.

Thank you, that you like my design :) Here are some more pictures:

It's a great design! I'm really looking forward to your crowdfunding campaign.

I understand that you are going for a high quality part with the 3M PCIe adapter but I'm guessing it's not powered unlike the ones most people here use for their eGPUs. Do you think you could sell the A4 case without the 3M PCie extender? I'm thinking of trying to fit a powered PCIe ribbon cable in the A4 and seeing if it's stable enough for a x4 PCIe 2.0 link. I guess modding the the 3M extender cable is also an option but the idea of trying to solder some power leads to a $80+ extender makes me a bit nervous.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I was wondering if anyone is interested in a eGPU case.

Along the lines of Parvum Systems style.

Parvum Systems — Cases

I just got a brand new mdx-40a and am keen to start building some.

Max footprint is 305x305

Can do some awesome stuff with it,

Have drawn some plans nothing is final want to see the interest in them first.

Cost would be materials and a little for the wear and tear of the bits but nothing major in that sense, was thinking maybe $25us + Materials

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

These cases seem fine, maybe a litle "big". The EVGA Hadron is interesting, because it already has a slim 500W PSU in the case.

Daniel will get some prototypes of the A4 within this or the next 1-2 weeks. So it's close to production start, but seem might be available in the summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I am new to this forum and interested in setting up an GTX 670 as eGPU to my MSI GP60. I can get access to an microATX case with a suitable power-supply. I would like to use it for the gpu. My question is what kind of socket I can use to fix the gpu together with the adaptor in the case like it is done when the gpu is on a mainboard. Are there any ideas?

If the card is placed vertically, it is fine. If the card is mounted horizontally you have to fix the GPU. Maybe with a pole or cable ties?!

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey everyone! So I just ordered me the Akitio Pcie to thunderbolt 2 card in my attempts to build a egpu setup. My GPU I'll be using is a gtx 780 so I know I'll be buying a 600w minimum psu. Anyway, I know the regular housing for the Akitio won't allow my GPU to fit since it's a full sized one. So I was thinking about somehow housing the Akitio, GPU, and psu all in a mini case such as http://www.frys.com/product/8377827?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG or http://www.frys.com/product/7947080?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I know I could get more of a selection for cases from new egg but I have a frys close by so I am going to use that since I can get parts the day of as I tinker with this. Anyone have any ideas or could point me to some builds that has done something like this before? I'm extremely new to all of this and this is the website I have found to be the go-to for everything egpu related! 

Hi,

Please keep in mind that if you do not want to make cuts into the case, you will have to use a riser cable to extend the PCIe slot.

The 2 cases you linked have the "problem" that you will HAVE TO use 90° solid PCB riser besides the riser cable (or you get a riser cable with a 90° angled slot).

Some cases that only need a cable riser are the slim Silverstone cases, like the RVZ01 (keep in mind that this slim cases need smaller PSUs in the SFX or SFX-l size).

You don't need a 600W PSU since you will only power the eGPU and not a whole PC system. So 500W should be enough (with the correct amount of PCIe power plugs for the GPU).

Edited by Dschijn

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.