Radeon 8970m vs GTX 780m

Steve135

My R1 is going to get a GPU upgrade to one of these options, probably adding just a single GPU first and then moving to crossfire/SLI a little later in the year. They seem pretty comparably priced and spec'd. The 6970's I have just don't cut it anymore. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks guys, that's what I was thinking as well. For my R1, I'm assuming I can get a 780m card from a Clevo, MSI or other brand and just re-flash the VBIOS with ones provided by @svl7. (thanks in advance for that mate) Does this sound about right? or is there something else I'm missing here. I was looking at some second hand parts on ebay and might pull the trigger on this pretty soon.

berryracer, I assume your rig is a newer M18. Did the 780m's you have with that come with it or were they an upgrade? How are they working out for 2014 titles (Far Cry 4, Assassins Creed Unity, etc)

Thanks again,

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
Thanks guys, that's what I was thinking as well. For my R1, I'm assuming I can get a 780m card from a Clevo, MSI or other brand and just re-flash the VBIOS with ones provided by @svl7. (thanks in advance for that mate) Does this sound about right? or is there something else I'm missing here. I was looking at some second hand parts on ebay and might pull the trigger on this pretty soon.

berryracer, I assume your rig is a newer M18. Did the 780m's you have with that come with it or were they an upgrade? How are they working out for 2014 titles (Far Cry 4, Assassins Creed Unity, etc)

Thanks again,

My laptop originally came with the Radeon shitfire 8970 which to me were worse both in gaming and when watching my movies using SVP (smooth video project) because of the lack of CUDA so videos never looked as good using DXVA only

anyway, the Radeon drivers suck so bad and they don't do DPI scaling well. I use a 125% scaling on my 18.4" screen

Alienware replaced my laptop due to a diff. problem I had with the CPU and gave me this Alienware 18 you see in my sig, it came with the 780M GTX SLI out of the box

I can play any game I throw at it at max specs.

For a comparison, I recently got an ASUS G751JY laptop which had a GeForce 980M GTX (single not SLI) and the 780M GTX in SLI`s score were about 5% higher so I think it is pretty amazing that a 2 generation old card even though in SLI, still beats the latest and greatest 980M

GeForce GTX 980M with 347.25 [W8] [ASUS G751JY] =

2l8f4ih.jpg

GeForce GTX 780M SLI (344.75) [W8] [Alienware 18] =

awc64o.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
My laptop originally came with the Radeon shitfire 8970 which to me were worse both in gaming and when watching my movies using SVP (smooth video project) because of the lack of CUDA so videos never looked as good using DXVA only

anyway, the Radeon drivers suck so bad and they don't do DPI scaling well. I use a 125% scaling on my 18.4" screen

Alienware replaced my laptop due to a diff. problem I had with the CPU and gave me this Alienware 18 you see in my sig, it came with the 780M GTX SLI out of the box

I can play any game I throw at it at max specs.

For a comparison, I recently got an ASUS G751JY laptop which had a GeForce 980M GTX (single not SLI) and the 780M GTX in SLI`s score were about 5% higher so I think it is pretty amazing that a 2 generation old card even though in SLI, still beats the latest and greatest 980M

GeForce GTX 980M with 347.25 [W8] [ASUS G751JY] =

2l8f4ih.jpg

GeForce GTX 780M SLI (344.75) [W8] [Alienware 18] =

awc64o.jpg

Just curious what the resolution is at? This is my score with my 7970M Crossfire at the default resolution.

post-6031-14494999606397_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Just curious what the resolution is at? This is my score with my 7970M Crossfire at the default resolution.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14306[/ATTACH]

my default resolution dawg which is 1920x1080

• 3 weeks later...

I'm beginning to think at least one of my 7970ms aren't functioning properly. I was getting bluescreens pointing at the display driver till I did a reinstall of the OS. Formerly functioning driver versions wont install, I've only been able to use the windows update driver, 13.9 I believe, and the latest CCC 15.3 mar 20 beta on windows 8.1. Windows 7 I can use the whql omega driver or latest beta, though I can't get the second gpu to come online. It always returns a code 13 error, not enough resources, fresh windows 7 install. On top of all that, the best firestrike score I've ever gotten is 7765.... Scores just stay the same (~3-5% variance) regardless of GPU overclock. I'm at a loss. Short of just buying new cards. Anyone ever encountered this or have any ideas?

AMD Radeon HD 7970M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2920XM Processor,Alienware M18xR1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I just did this upgrade not to long ago and think I may be running into power issues. The PSU will die randomly under load, I have the 330W. I haven't attempted any overclocking yet. I need a way to test the power draw of the system to see if this is indeed the problem.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk