MSI GT683R not booting.

inferno1005

Hi, hoping to get some help with my laptop as this seems to be the most active forum for these old laptops.

Some background :

I have been having issues with the bios on my laptop for some time, the boot order selection screen decided to populate itself with many of the same option as seen below in the picture

post-32088-14494999057861_thumb.jpg

I figured that returning to the optimized defaults would reset the boot options, but it has no effect.

I have also cleared the CMOS by removing the power from the backup battery to the mother board and holding the power button to drain whatever was left. No dice.

Eventually I decided that flashing the bios would be a good idea, it wasn't.

I created a freedos bootable cd ( cd because for whatever reason my laptop would not boot from any windows/dos based usb, linux images boot fine) and flashed the bios provided from msi's website for this laptop. The flash went fine, but upon rebooting the bios were not fixed. After another boot the laptop's power button would just flash, not booting into anything or spinning the fans.

Frustrated I left the laptop alone for a week.

I have decided to start working on it again, I cleared the CMOS like before a loh and behold the laptop booted into the bios and then into a bootable cd! Yippie!

After some rebooting it became clear that the laptop would not boot into the bios any more. So what do I decided to do? Clear the cmos again as it seems to be the thing preventing a good boot.... this worked 3 times.

Current status:

As of right now the laptop refuses to boot into bios, it just sits at a blank screen, but the power button is not flashing and the cd drive sounds like it spins up.

I am thinking of reflashing the bios to see if this does anything, using the blind-flash method mentioned in the stickied post for the unlocked bios.

What is worrying me the most at the moment is that when I push the power button, the laptop powers on for half a second and then shuts off. If i power it back on right after it shuts itself off, it remains on, but still not booting into anything.

If anything needs to be clarified please ask, and shoot me ideas on how to fix. Like I said it seems like this forum is my last hope before having to send it in, which won't happen any time soon as I am a broke college student at this point.

TLDR: Bios were screwed up, flashed bios, thought it bricked, cleared cmos, booted fine once, failed to boot, cleared cmos again, nothing working now. Help Please!