How do you feel about Alienware's recent changes? Vote here and sound off!

Brian

Do you like the direction Alienware is headed?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the direction Alienware is headed?

• Yes, even though I give up MXM and the freedom to upgrade my CPU, I like the Amp + 1" profile.
    • I'm not sure yet, I need to read up on it some more.
    • No, AW has gone too mainstream. I'm done with gaming laptops (hello desktops!)
    • No, AW has gone too mainstream. Clevo here I come!

I get the logic of "tiny minority" argument, but it completely ignores the reality of why Alienware still exists today and why it may cease to exist in the future. Alienware is also a "tiny minority" in an ocean filled with mainstream consumer garbage laptops. They became relevant by catering to the "tiny minority" of enthusiasts that care about owning something awesome. They will lose relevance by catering to mainstream consumers. Real enthusiasts will not buy their new disposable trash. Wannabe enthusiasts will find their garbage overpriced. Why pay extra for a crappy piece of trash from Alienware if you can get exactly the same specs in a mainstream brand with a "gaming notebook" badge slapped on it for less? If they want to continue billing themselves as something special, they need to live and breathe it, and actually offer something special like they used to. Otherwise, Dell should just pull the plug now and be done with it.

Your wife would be less likely to beat the stuffing out of you if you spend a bit more up front to buy an upgradable machine, as upgrading to an Extreme CPU and getting new GPU(s) every couple of years is far less expensive than buying a new disposable piece of junk, and in most cases--considering that Intel is actually dumbing down their CPUs--the upgraded machine will perform on par with, if not substantially better than a crippled new low-TDP "gaming notebook" (pile of colon blow) will. For example, a maxed out Alienware M18xR2 can stomp the living crap out of anything Alienware have sold since it was released. Not only are they blocking upgrades and interfering with property ownership rights of their customers, they are also depriving their customers of the opportunity to own something amazing for their hard-earned cash with the new BGA machines. Comparatively speaking, they are now actively selling inferior products that deliver performance downgrades. What the mainstream consumer and casual gamer wants should be irrelevant to them. They shop computers like they do car insurance and groceries... cheap wins in that arena, not customer loyalty, performance or quality.

I completely agree with your comment Mr Fox. In my case, "and I'm sure most users Alienware brand," we seek a team PROTRUDE THE REST brand. In my case, I always carry any search the Alienware brand, which is why we decided to buy the M17xr4. After trying it, I could not be happier, a team which surplus fulfilled my expectations. By having such a good experience so well equipped, opt for buying a Aw18, and really was disappointed by the limits to tax. Doing some research, I see that Dell is taking a path which in my opinion is not correct, Why I want a team that is in the same conditions as the rest ............... ..if other brands offer me the same and presumably cheaper mind? If they continue this way, I do not want a team of this brand, unless they return to the criteria that initially had. It is quite frustrating to pay a lot of money, "I am a worker if,and cost me quite muster the money to take surprises of this type " and get the same as the rest ....

Edit: Thank you so much MrFox! Thank you have your tutorials have gotten half rein in this 18

I completely agree with your comment Mr Fox. In my case, "and I'm sure most users Alienware brand," we seek a team PROTRUDE THE REST brand. In my case, I always carry any search the Alienware brand, which is why we decided to buy the M17xr4. After trying it, I could not be happier, a team which surplus fulfilled my expectations. By having such a good experience so well equipped, opt for buying a Aw18, and really was disappointed by the limits to tax. Doing some research, I see that Dell is taking a path which in my opinion is not correct, Why I want a team that is in the same conditions as the rest ............... ..if other brands offer me the same and presumably cheaper mind? If they continue this way, I do not want a team of this brand, unless they return to the criteria that initially had. It is quite frustrating to pay a lot of money, "I am a worker if,and cost me quite muster the money to take surprises of this type " and get the same as the rest ....

Edit: Thank you so much MrFox! Thank you have your tutorials have gotten half rein in this 18

They are experimenting with external GPU, they failed apparently and I do believe new Alienware 18 is coming back next year.

Now that i have discovered that there is a notebook with desktop CPU, my next computer will be a definitely a Clevo. I'm intrigued to see the performance that can give a monster 130w TDP on a laptop. The 55W CPU may not even approach nowhere near a desktop CPU . I do not care to return in the future AW18. Much must be changed to return to buy that mark.

As the old saying goes. Bigger is Better and thats why I bought my M18x D: 1st one broke down so ended up with the R2 instead and I cant be bothered to go back to a smaller laptop.

As for their recent changes...... well they suck. Kinda stupid to drop the 18 series for a crappy booster as well expecially since the whole point of a gaming top is to carry it around and have everything on hand not leave half the hardware at home!

Got my own laptop upgraded with 980m's now and they work so thats me sorted for a few years. Mebbe theyll come back to their senses in a few years. Otherwise Itll be a clevo or msi upgrade in the event I got to replace this thing. :/