MSI GT80 Titan SLI - Alienware who?

Brian

• Founder

Looks like MSI is going all out in the notebook gaming space with their new GT80 Titan SLI. This beast features a mechanical keyboard with cherry switches, a trackpad (that also has touch buttons), a top panel that's removable for quick upgrades and a pair of 980M GPUs each with their own cooling pipes. Don't worry about a pussy PSU because this thing features a massive 350W supply which should keep it fed. The panel is a 1080P Samsung PLS which will have nice viewing angles but is NOT ideal for gaming despite many people's love for all things IPS/PLS. IMO, an 8 bit 144 Hz TN panel would have been far superior to a PLS panel for a gaming system. @Mr. Fox what do you think? Is this your next beast now that AW is disappointing?

• Thumbs Up 2

I saw it a couple of months ago. I was initially interested and then noticed it has a panty-waist 47W 4980HQ BGA low-TDP turd CPU. I simply will not tolerate that filth in a "high performance" laptop with my name on it, LOL. It's suitable for console convert gamer-boys and that's about it.

Curious about it in spite of it be welded to the mobo, I actually used a machine with that exact CPU and it was totally unimpressive.

Yeah not impressed by the CPU. Also what's the point of moving up the keyboard? The only benefit I see could be to open up the frame so that the topside fan air intake is used, allowing more airflow, or allowing the notebook to lay flat, but they have the top completely sealed off.

Yeah not impressed by the CPU. Also what's the point of moving up the keyboard? The only benefit I see could be to open up the frame so that the topside fan air intake is used, allowing more airflow, or allowing the notebook to lay flat, but they have the top completely sealed off.

Just a little desoldering, socket soldering, heatpipe modding.

This laptop is right up your alley!

I like msi and all but yuck. And that's not even considering the soldered on cpu that they seem to be using in the gt80 and the gt72.

- - - Updated - - -

I saw it a couple of months ago. I was initially interested and then noticed it has a panty-waist 47W 4980HQ BGA low-TDP turd CPU. I simply will not tolerate that filth in a "high performance" laptop with my name on it, LOL. It's suitable for console convert gamer-boys and that's about it.

Curious about it in spite of it be welded to the mobo, I actually used a machine with that exact CPU and it was totally unimpressive.

When did alienware become disappointing for you?

Moving the keyboard to the front without utilization of additional space behind the keyboard for fan/air intakes prove the lack of imagination of Compal/MSI designers. But this is nothing new. For a proper operation of the GT60/70 cooling system it was enough to connect with short thermal bridge the two close to fan located radiators. Designers connected with a long thermal bridge the GPU and CPU heatsinks. :D

Welded CPU? Nasty..wonder why they'd go that direction...
Most OEMs are going to "efficient" low-TDP garbage for craptops, probably with prodding from Intel and the whining of sissy-boys that want thin and light Ultracrapbooks. Clevo still has some models with CPUs made for real men and enthusiasts.
I like msi and all but yuck. And that's not even considering the soldered on cpu that they seem to be using in the gt80 and the gt72.

- - - Updated - - -

When did alienware become disappointing for you?

Well, it started with Secure Flash on the Haswell machines, but things have gotten far worse than that. At least I can still overclock the daylights of the 4930MX in the 18 using XTU. But, the brand appreciation ended as soon as they started following the other sheep with soldered CPUs and BGA GPU garbage. It also doesn't help matters being further disappointed when I ran into difficulties getting 980M to work correctly in my M18xR2. Still working with @svl7, @johnksss and @Prema to try to figure out the random Power, SLI PerfCap bug. When it doesn't throttle it runs like a spotted-assed ape, but when it throttles is very bad. I'm hoping these masters will solve the puzzle, but I am contemplating plan B if I need a new platform to work with. Laptops with no CPU sockets and MXM slots are disposable trash and one might as well save money and buy a game console for cheap entertainment.

So far, the P570WM3 and P377SM-A seem like the only viable contenders to dethrone my M18xR2. The P570WM3 is obviously a viable option, but I'm not sure how effectively the P377SM-A handles 4930MX overclocking. I don't want to have to switch to plastic chassis machines with less effective cooling systems, but I can bench using AC cooling like I used to if necessary. I am looking for examples of physics benchmark results that rival the CPU performance of the M18xR2 and even the Alienware 18 and I am not finding any. I don't know if that is because the P377SM-A is a bad performer with CPU cooling problems and a bad BIOS that doesn't support proper overclocking, or just a reflection of no P377SM-A owners that are good at (or not interested in) CPU overclocking. Whatever machine I would choose as an Alienware replacement needs to be able to do a absolute minimum of 4.5GHz stable and with controllable temps before I can take it seriously as a high performance machine.

probably with prodding from Intel and the whining of sissy-boys that want thin and light Ultracrapbooks. Clevo still has some models with CPUs made for real men and enthusiasts.

Now this made me laugh with those "sissy-boys". Now what about the new upcoming AW with soldered cpu and gpu? I think the Lead R&D team of Dell-AW is pure sissy then? LOL

Oh well time for me to save some $$$ for that xtreme ivy bridge then. hehe :)

Most OEMs are going to "efficient" low-TDP garbage for craptops, probably with prodding from Intel and the whining of sissy-boys that want thin and light Ultracrapbooks. Clevo still has some models with CPUs made for real men and enthusiasts.

Well, it started with Secure Flash on the Haswell machines, but things have gotten far worse than that. At least I can still overclock the daylights of the 4930MX in the 18 using XTU. But, the brand appreciation ended as soon as they started following the other sheep with soldered CPUs and BGA GPU garbage. It also doesn't help matters being further disappointed when I ran into difficulties getting 980M to work correctly in my M18xR2. Still working with @svl7, @johnksss and @Prema to try to figure out the random Power, SLI PerfCap bug. When it doesn't throttle it runs like a spotted-assed ape, but when it throttles is very bad. I'm hoping these masters will solve the puzzle, but I am contemplating plan B if I need a new platform to work with. Laptops with no CPU sockets and MXM slots are disposable trash and one might as well save money and buy a game console for cheap entertainment.

Mind if I qoute this?

How do those BGA to PGA CPUs you see on eBay work then o-o...

Too much effort for too little return. Better to skip the garbage and just buy the right stuff up front and then you don't have to screw around with mods. Mods are cool when you need to try to squeeze some lemonade from your lemons, but there is no substitute for having hardware engineered the right way on the front end.

Too much effort for too little return. Better to skip the garbage and just buy the right stuff up front and then you don't have to screw around with mods. Mods are cool when you need to try to squeeze some lemonade from your lemons, but there is no substitute for having hardware engineered the right way on the front end.

I prefer straight lemon juice, directly into my eyeball. But yes I agree, much better paying the price and getting the slightly less awful stuff upfront.

That Clevo P750ZM is looking mighty nice...

Not bad for a single GPU machine. I just cannot be happy with a machine using only one GPU. I've tried, and it's never good enough. I always know that two will be far more awesome and I end up being discontent because of performance I know I am missing.

If I didn't need a good place to use my 980M SLI, I would hold out for an X99 5960X 980M SLI replacement for the P570MW3.

Not bad for a single GPU machine. I just cannot be happy with a machine using only one GPU. I've tried, and it's never good enough. I always know that two will be far more awesome and I end up being discontent because of performance I know I am missing.

If I didn't need a good place to use my 980M SLI, I would hold out for an X99 5960X 980M SLI replacement for the P570MW3.

you think clevo is making one with x99 chipset? i hope they do one so later on Broadwell E will fit nicely into the laptop, with metal chassis of course. also 4980HQ really is soldered BGA? what the hell such a good looking machine all gone to waste in an instant because of 1 soldered GPU.

Yeah, this is a huge disappointment. I view the CPU as being of equal or greater importance than GPU(s) and to build a great machine and then just castrate it with a pathetic 47W BGA CPU like the 4980HQ is truly a shame.

• Founder

The socketed CPU part kinda sucks if you like to buy the system w/a cheaper CPU and use an aftermarket socket one from eBay. However, as long as the initial purchase has the top end CPU then I don't see a problem for using this laptop long term, especially with it's MXM GPU support.

The only problem is the fact that the "top end" BGA CPU is 47W fixed TDP piece of garbage. It's nowhere even remotely close to having the performance capacity of a Mobile Extreme CPU.

The only problem is the fact that the "top end" BGA CPU is 47W fixed TDP piece of garbage. It's nowhere even remotely close to having the performance capacity of a Mobile Extreme CPU.

quad core turbo only to 3.6ghz, thats a disappointment. it is basically the only way they can keep CPU cool with 2 heatpipes which is again shared with GPU, also one 350 watt PSU could be enough for this also cause of the lower clocked CPU. if its really socketed CPU then unfortunately I will not purchase until it's phasing out, in like 3-4 years for collection purposes only. i have a very strong feeling this is tilting the worst way possible that all future mobile CPU will be like this either extreme edition or not it'll all be BGA. gotta cross my finger and wait for clevo's brilliant idea for Desktop CPU in mobile sector. best part about desktop CPU is that they usually require much lower voltage to get to higher clock, and larger surface of IHS for heat dissipation, except it has crap tim under it.

come on clevo, release x99 haswell E already, or x101 or something with skylake E