2014 15" MBP Iris + GTX970@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win8.1 [Dschijn]

Dumb Question: Will this guide work with a 2014 MBP 13"?

specs: Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Pro 2.6GHz Dual-core Intel i5 with Retina Display - Apple Store (U.S.)

getting a slightly used one from friend for 900$ ugh i'm so nervous in doing this. been lurking for a long time and wanting to implement. someone stop me if this is dumb haha

@phillkim8: Sure, it will work. The main difference is the CPU: 13" has 2 cores vs. 15" has 4 cores.

Be aware that 2014 books and GTX 9X0 cards will not work in OSX yet. But Windows 8.1 is working great.

------------

Upgraded to a EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

faster, quieter, cooler

------------

Added Far Cry 4 gameplay video with mostly Ultra settings in 1920x1200.

Dear Dschijn,

following your guide I purchased all your suggested hardware (Akitio, Chieftec case, PCI 16x riser, a gtx 970 however from Zotac as I did not have the budget for the EVGA FTW+ etc.). As mentioned in an earlier post, I am planning to run the egpu und an Asus G750 Notebook with thunderbolt 1 (although I know that you told me that it might have not enough bandwidth but still I want to try to run Fifa 15 on my TV in 4k - if it will work). The Asus G750 has a dgpu (gtx 870m) and a intel optimus igpu. I successfully installed the driver for the gtx 970 (it is recognized in the hardware manager as geforce gtx 970 along with the igpu and the dgpu => all three graphic cards are indicated to work correctly in the device manager). However, when I try to run the egpu with Asus => Thunderbolt Cable => Akitiko/Geforce gtx970 =>HDMI Cable => TV the TV will not receive any signal. When I directly plug in the cable on the HDMI Port of the Asus Notebook the TV will immediately recognize the signal. I already deactivated the dgpu (gtx870m) in the device manager but this did not lead to any success with respect to the egpu output via the HDMI cable. Do I have to deactive the igpu as well (I am not planning to use the internal display of the asus as long as I am connected to the TV) or do I have to change something in the nvdia settings? I am really confused as the egpu is correctly indicated in the device manager....

Finally a further question concerning the chieftec case: How do you switch on the egpu system as the power button of the PSU cannot directly be reached when everything is setup in the case?

I know that my questions my appear ridiculous to you but this is really my first egpu system I am trying to build up. If it will not work on the asus gaming notebook I am planning to switch to the iMac Retina which has Thunderbolt II but no intel optimus....

Could you help me with my questions raised above?

Sure I can help :)

For your setup I would recommend to test the eGPU with another display as the TV. 4k have been troublemakers in the first steps of setting up the eGPU. Addionally please do that testing on a DVI or Displayport.

If the GTX 970 recognized and listed in the devices it should work!

I switch on my setup in a very simple way: The PSU switch (on the back of the PSU) is constantly turned on and I control the power to the PSU with a regular multiple power socket with a switch like this: Link

Changed the cooler on my GTX 970. Now cooled directly with two Noctua NF-F12 industrial (2000 PWM) with fresh air (the case fans).

Cooler: RAIJINTEK Morpheus Black

Load

fans @ 1700rpm: 43-44°C

fans @ 1300rpm: 45°C

fans @ 1100rpm: 47°C

fans @ 650rpm: 55°C

Idle

fans @ 0rpm: 40°C (after load)

post-26280-1449499944161_thumb.jpg

post-26280-1449499944218_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

@errin: Sure! The paper clip trick would let the PSU run all the time. I am using a very simple way to switch on/off my eGPU system.

I just have a power strip/bar with a switch and only the PSU of the eGPu plugged into that. That power bar is placed under my desk and I switch it on/off with my foot :D

After I've read your setup I don't think you should call that simple. (lol)

Anyway thanks for the idea, I'm trying a way to power on the system by case's button.

Or for the absolute simplest solution are to paperclip the psu, and just use the PWR button on the psu.

• 3 weeks later...
Is this PSU good for the EVGA GTX 970 SC?

Yes… kind of. If you look up the specs you can see that the PSU only has 1x PCI Express 6+2pol.

The EVGA GTX 970 SC needs 2x6-Pin. But can use one of the 2xMolex -> 1x6-Pin PCIe and the 6+2 as 1x6-Pin.

The PSU has more than enough power to run the GTX 970.

Yes… kind of. If you look up the specs you can see that the PSU only has 1x PCI Express 6+2pol.

The EVGA GTX 970 SC needs 2x6-Pin. But can use one of the 2xMolex -> 1x6-Pin PCIe and the 6+2 as 1x6-Pin.

The PSU has more than enough power to run the GTX 970.

That's weird. On Newegg it shows that it has 2 x 6=2 Pin. I think that makes 8 but it's optional to make it 8 since it's originally 6. Hopefully that made any sense. Here's Newegg link to see it just to make sure. I don't wanna order it and get the wrong one lol.

I have a eGPU running with a EVGA GTX 960 and a 13" rMBP, When I try to boot Windows with the eGPU on, the external display AND the internal display stays black. What should I do?

Have you ever been able to boot into Windows with the eGPU running? Which Windows is it? How do you proceed starting your setup?

Suggestions:

- try to install the new bootloader: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/8558-%5Bguide%5D-macbook-enabling-optimus-internal-lcd-mode.html#post110757

- install the latest Intel graphics driver!

- boot into Windows and half way plug in the running eGPU

- Can you instal GeForce driver after that?

- Try boot into Windows without the eGPU, plug in the eGPU when you are in Windows and try to instal the driver

Have you ever been able to boot into Windows with the eGPU running? Which Windows is it? How do you proceed starting your setup?

Suggestions:

- try to install the new bootloader: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/8558-%5Bguide%5D-macbook-enabling-optimus-internal-lcd-mode.html#post110757

- install the latest Intel graphics driver!

- boot into Windows and half way plug in the running eGPU

- Can you instal GeForce driver after that?

- Try boot into Windows without the eGPU, plug in the eGPU when you are in Windows and try to instal the driver

I actually had got it running in Windows 8.1 flawlessly that one time. I played various games on the external and the internal 1600p display. (Optimus worked.) At that time I had the GPU directly on the 16x molex-powered riser. Then I plugged a 90° riser to the molex-powered riser and the GPU onto the 90° riser.

Power on procedure is the same one as shown in your first post.

After that I rebooted the MBP and then there was an error and Windows couldn't be booted at all. Apparently some files in the /Windows folder was broken, so I had to fresh install Win 8 again.

Windows recognised the card as a "basic display something" (can't remember), so I installed the latest Nvidia drivers and rebooted.

At the option-menu I plugged in the eGPU and both displays are black and only the keyboard is backlit. I have to power off while holding the button

I will follow your suggestions and we'll see what happens.

Edit: I rebooted the MBP without using the option menu and with the eGPU plugged. Device Manager shows the GTX 960 with a yellow exclamation mark on the icon. Device status in the properties tells me that "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43). Rebooted again (same thing. plugged in and without option menu) and black screen.

2. Edit: Plugging in the eGPU inside Windows and trying to install the Nvidia drivers doesn't work. "Graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware."

Plugging the eGPU mid-boot isn't working aswell. Windows doesn't recognise the eGPU in the Device Manager. Cant install drivers. Same as above.

3. Edit: Turns out I plugged the 8-pin power connector wrong. But that didnt change the problem. Next morning I tried other Thunderbolt ports on both the MBP and the Akitio board and now the GPU works when I boot without the option menu.

After a few reboots: black screen again. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.

• 2 months later...

@Tango: The extra fans are not required in my mini setup. It will just make the eGPU run cooler and quieter.

A GTX 980Ti should work too, especially in Windows. Of course it will not fit into the AKiTiO itself as a mini setup.

@Tango: The extra fans are not required in my mini setup. It will just make the eGPU run cooler and quieter.

A GTX 980Ti should work too, especially in Windows. Of course it will not fit into the AKiTiO itself as a mini setup.

What case would be suitable but still use the same cables? Thanks for the quick reply!

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to 2014 15" MBP Iris + GTX970@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win8.1 [Dschijn]