NVIDIA Maxwell VBIOS mods - 900m series overclocking versions

svl7

P750zm is shipped already.

Why do you think it is not shipped?

They are already here even in Korea.

They were shipped like nearly 2-3 weeks ago.

Well here in Europe, they're shipping this week..

Also Godfafa, how this 980M running on your machine? Is it in Optimus mode? Also how did you flash vBIOS? Can you list your steps? I'm flashing today and currently, I'm in Optimus mode so I'm planning on disabling 970M, restarting, enable legacy mode, flash vBIOS, restart, disable legacy, go to windows and enable 970M.. It should work right?

Hi anyone help me ASAP.. In BIOS, I enabled the "load legacy option ROM" setting and then booted into DOS.. I typed mnvflash -a but it's saying this program can't run in DOS.. Is this because I'm still in UEFI mode in essence? Do I have to physically set the BIOS to use legacy boot option?

Thanks

Well here in Europe, they're shipping this week..

Also Godfafa, how this 980M running on your machine? Is it in Optimus mode? Also how did you flash vBIOS? Can you list your steps? I'm flashing today and currently, I'm in Optimus mode so I'm planning on disabling 970M, restarting, enable legacy mode, flash vBIOS, restart, disable legacy, go to windows and enable 970M.. It should work right?

For your question, my answer is

- I hate optimus. I dont use optimus at all time.

- I only use optimus when I flash. --> using svl7's unlocked bios, I enable optimus(primary graphic = sg) + uefi with legacy enabled -> win 8.1 -> flash vbios -> then go to bios and change primary graphic = peg + uefi without legacy

For your question, my answer is

- I hate optimus. I dont use optimus at all time.

- I only use optimus when I flash. --> using svl7's unlocked bios, I enable optimus(primary graphic = sg) + uefi with legacy enabled -> win 8.1 -> flash vbios -> then go to bios and change primary graphic = peg + uefi without legacy

Godfafa, see my last post.. I'm having some weird problem..

Read the main post by svl7.

Why are you even trying to flash in DOS?

The program is not meant to work in DOS.

Hi,

Are we supposed to flash in Windows then? I thought you had to boot into DOS and then flash vBIOS from the instructions I've been reading?? Am I wrong?

Hi,

Are we supposed to flash in Windows then? I thought you had to boot into DOS and then flash vBIOS from the instructions I've been reading?? Am I wrong?

Yes I am saying you're wrong.

Isn't the flash program that svl7 provided named as "xxx_win"?

I think you should read and make yourself clear what you are doing before doing anything.

- - - Updated - - -

>> Read the instructions carefully before flashing! <<

If anything is unclear after reading or if you have additional remarks, please post in the thread.

Flashing:

- Go to the device manager -> '
Display Adapters'
-> chooser your GPU, right click on it and choose
disable

- Flash the VBIOS with
mnvflash
, a modified version of nvflash (see attachments). Here are detailed
in
you aren't familiar with it.

- After the flashing is done: Enable the GPU once again in the device manager.

- Reboot

Do NOT use driver 347.09, it's broken and useless and won't allow you to overclock, even with the stock firmware.

Don't distribute the files hosted here outside of Tech|Inferno. Don't modify the files you download here.

<fieldset class="postcontent" style="margin: 6px 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; word-wrap: break-word;"><legend style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">paperclip.png.pagespeed.ce.nFUOVIz3Ty.png Attached Files</legend>

</fieldset>

Ok Godfafa, I have made a bootable DOS stick and downloaded the mnvflash folder, extracted the files to the root of the USB stick. I have also put my vBIOS in the root. In the instructions for using nvflash, it says to boot into DOS and then type nvflash etc etc.. Since our nvflash version is called mnvflash, I typed that and it said can't run program in DOS.. I have been following instructions. What did u do that is different?

I'm doing UEFI boot with the legacy ROM option enabled.. Do I have to use legacy boot to boot instead of UEFI to flash in DOS? That would cause 8 beeps I thought.. My 970M is also disabled in Windows as svl7 asked to.

Ok Godfafa, I have made a bootable DOS stick and downloaded the mnvflash folder, extracted the files to the root of the USB stick. I have also put my vBIOS in the root. In the instructions for using nvflash, it says to boot into DOS and then type nvflash etc etc.. Since our nvflash version is called mnvflash, I typed that and it said can't run program in DOS.. I have been following instructions. What did u do?

This is how I flash vbios in m17x R4 (non-3D).

-I use unlocked bios

1. turn on laptop -> press F2 -> bios -> 2nd advanced tab -> primary display = SG

2. Boot tab -> UEFI with legacy enabled

3. save (F10)

4. windows 8.1

5. command prompt with administrator

6. mnvflash -6 romname.rom

7. windows start button -> restart

8. F2 -> bios -> 2nd advanced tab -> primary display = PEG

9. Boot -> UEFI without legacy

10. F10 save

have done like this.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is how I flash vbios in m17x R4 (non-3D).

-I use unlocked bios

1. turn on laptop -> press F2 -> bios -> 2nd advanced tab -> primary display = SG

2. Boot tab -> UEFI with legacy enabled

3. save (F10)

4. windows 8.1

5. command prompt with administrator

6. mnvflash -6 romname.rom

7. windows start button -> restart

8. F2 -> bios -> 2nd advanced tab -> primary display = PEG

9. Boot -> UEFI without legacy

10. F10 save

have done like this.

So wait, you are basically flashing in Windows right? Yes? You are not booting into DOS etc.. You just go to windows explorer and click on mnvflash file and run it? Correct?

So wait, you are basically flashing in Windows right? Yes? You are not booting into DOS etc.. You just go to windows explorer and click on mnvflash file and run it? Correct?

not DOS

not explorer

but command prompt with administrator mode

and type "mnflash -6 romname.rom"

• Thumbs Up 1

not DOS

not explorer

but command prompt with administrator mode

and type "mnflash -6 romname.rom"

But yes, this in WIndows right? So do you just extract eveything to one folder, open command prompt with admin and navigate to folder where nvflash is and flash right? Am I 100% correct now?

But yes, this in WIndows right? So do you just extract eveything to one folder, open command prompt with admin and navigate to folder where nvflash is and flash right? Am I 100% correct now?

Yes I think so.

Seems correct.

BTW, flashing can cause trouble if you dont know how to backup and reflash vbios when you get trouble.

Do it at your own risk.

How to flash my sli on myP375sm-a? Because you said that we have to disable the card before flashing, but if i do that i will loose the display cause the P375sm doesn't support the igpu.

I would think you'd have to flash 1 card at a time. So disable 1st GPU in device manager, flash that GPU, reboot, enable it, disable 2nd one, flash 2nd GPU, reboot and enable.. I think someone like johnkss can clarify.. Ask over in NBR on the M18x forum thread and you'll get a faster answer on this..

Aw m18x R2 Dual 980m SLI upgrade!!

• Thumbs Up 1

vBIOS flash has worked.. Time to OC.. Thanks Godfafa, you've been a great help.. Svl7, you kind of need to update the instructions.. It needs to be more clear with regards to the fact that you have to flash in windows and not DOS..

• Thumbs Up 1

The instructions seem fine. You can't go to device manager in DOS. :distracted:

Also, why is everyone turning off UEFI to flash their cards in windows? I had UEFI/fast boot enabled and my card flashed fine in windows. I don't think you have to turn uefi off. Just follow the instructions and you should be good to go.

A word of advise, if you already have nvflash in your downloads folder, delete it before downloading the new one. It can confuse you and you might end up using the wrong one.

hello, svl7! i'm using your vbios and tested several times.. it works great.. successfully unlocked and can access power limits and voltage control.

but sometimes directx 11 stop responding while playing the games. and suddenly nvidia driver stopped and recovered. just for me, i can't even start 3dmark tests because of the erros (some buffer and device error they said) .

this pheonomenon occurs many times and my colleagues experienced same even they didn't set graphic card to overclock (didn't change the clocks, power limit and etc.. with only bios default setting) . it is kinda unstable right now.

i newly installed nvidia drivers(344.xx drivers) and directx just in case, but same.. when i get back to my backup vbios, it goes well, and same for my colleagues.

is there anyone experince same like me and my friends? by the way, i'm always appreciate your work svl7! i'm here just give feedback to make it better:distracted:.

thank you very much for reading!

@whatsupdo7 I've not flashed this vbios yet. But i had similar issues while OCing 980m as you've experienced. I think it is related to base clock and voltage. Have you tried increasing voltage at stock @1202 clock? like 1025mv or 1050mv

**Edit**

First i would like to thank @svI7 and @johnksss for these vbios release, appreciate your time and efforts. John, now my 980ms can able to go beyond 1350, due to unlocked power slider. Actually i've noticed that at stock clock 1202, all games (COD AW, AC Unity, Crysis 3 or BF4)i've tried to play so far crashed after few seconds of game play, dark screen system freezes. I think it is due to low voltage 1V at higher clock. First i've increased voltage to 1025mV, BF4 worked fine for about 25 sec. then black screen. Increased voltage to 1050mV everything else at stock. Now i can play all games without any issue. Played BF4 for about 20min no problem. I think 1000mV is not enough for 1202 core clock, it should be 1050mV. Here is my BF4 game play @1202 and 1050mV.

tonrac, you have to disable both GPU drivers before you flash, to prevent running into possible troubles, remember that you are only disabling drivers in the Device manager, not the GPU itself.

go ahead and don't worry - you will not loose your display!

• Thumbs Up 2

@whatsupdo7 I've not flashed this vbios yet. But i had similar issues while OCing 980m as you've experienced. I think it is related to base clock and voltage. Have you tried increasing voltage at stock @1202 clock? like 1025mv or 1050mv

Hello, peter18x. yes it is related to base clock and voltage. if i increase voltage about 62.5mv, it works fine. but with my default vbios, i can boost up to 1261 mhz without any voltage increasing. but there's power limitation when gpu is fully loaded(99~100%).

Hi all! First - thanks to svl7 and johnksss for your hard work.

I have the 8GB 980M in an MSI GT72 (a great machine which I recommend) running the 344.75 driver. I flashed the new vbios okay and started 3DMark again. It crashed with a little overclock a few times and I ran it with no oc and it crashed again after ten seconds or so.

Looking at the posts above I see people recommending increasing the voltage by a little. I've never overclocked before and I think I have an understanding of it and am happy to experiment but I know that messing with the voltage can screw up your card.

Is increasing the voltage a little on this card risky? Also - are core clock and memory clock bound by any kind of ratio? And what about power target?? All these things are still a little mysterious to me.

As a beginner it would be great to have some suggested values to try. Can anyone help? Thanks!

EDIT: Will post GPUZ screen when I get home.

Hello, peter18x. yes it is related to base clock and voltage. if i increase voltage about 62.5mv, it works fine. but with my default vbios, i can boost up to 1261 mhz without any voltage increasing. but there's power limitation when gpu is fully loaded(99~100%).

Cosz stock vbios already got voltage table for specific clock. Check again with HWINFO64, run some graphically demanding game while HWINFO64 runnin in background.

Even at stock boost clock 1126 980m uses 1050mV.

post-23358-14494999048921_thumb.png

Hi all! First - thanks to svl7 and johnksss for your hard work.

I have the 8GB 980M in an MSI GT72 (a great machine which I recommend) running the 344.75 driver. I flashed the new vbios okay and started 3DMark again. It crashed with a little overclock a few times and I ran it with no oc and it crashed again after ten seconds or so.

Looking at the posts above I see people recommending increasing the voltage by a little. I've never overclocked before and I think I have an understanding of it and am happy to experiment but I know that messing with the voltage can screw up your card.

Is increasing the voltage a little on this card risky? Also - are core clock and memory clock bound by any kind of ratio? And what about power target?? All these things are still a little mysterious to me.

As a beginner it would be great to have some suggested values to try. Can anyone help? Thanks!

EDIT: Will post GPUZ screen when I get home.

You should be OK using something like NVidia Inspector to increase the voltage a little, increase it one voltage notch at a time until it's stable, it's OK as long as your temperatures are good, below 80 degC. If I had your card I probably wouldn't increase voltage above +100mv of stock. Voltage increase only applies to core, not the VRAM; also, memory clock & core clock are not linked. Power Target - just increase that to 150% or something, just stops it throttling the clocks down due to power limitations.