NVIDIA Maxwell VBIOS mods - 900m series overclocking versions

svl7

OIC, do I have to uninstall Nvidia display driver before flashing? sorry to bother you so much. Thank you in advance

That's what I did (I used DDU in safe mode) but I found out after the fact you just need to go into the control panel devices and right click disable on the 980M then flash.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

That's what I did (I used DDU in safe mode) but I found out after the fact you just need to go into the control panel devices and right click disable on the 980M then flash.

All right, flash completed and GPU-Z showed new version of bios. However, still cannot OC it. Currently I am on 347.52..please advise..

All right, flash completed and GPU-Z showed new version of bios. However, still cannot OC it. Currently I am on 347.52..please advise..

Use DDU to get rid of 347 and go to nVidia.com and grab 344. Overclocking is disabled in 347 series.

It's borderline... With the new paste job the temps are about 3-4 degree lower which is just enough so it doesn't start to throttle :-)

I' using either arctic silver or notua nt-h1.

i guess you used arctic silver mx4 anyway i used xi-3 hdt which has a 9.1W/mk thermal conductivity XIGMATEK - PRODUCT and got better results about 5-8C gpu and 8-9C cpu..anyway im gonna share some info about GTX 980m after a one month oc use; GPU :1380MHZ MEM: 6000Mhz Voltage:1.087 or 1.100 or 1.125 (this depends on which game i play)

I recently got some driver crash or game freeze problems with the same frequencies and voltages with the same games before I didnt get..at first i thought it was about some advanced windows tweaking settings but after formatting i got the same problems again even in lower frequencies now just like GPU:1330mhz MEM: 5500mhz below this there is no problem as mentioned above..

i think oc'ing slowly kills the gtx 980m and the problems above written might be the symptoms of a sudden DEADTH in the future so i decided to not go more than 1330mhz gpu and 5500mhz mem for a while

i request other GT72 users oc'ing history to see here achieving a true analyze about gtx980m

and for the NaughtyVIDIA...Do not try to play as GOD...! or you will FAIL...!

That's not a slow kill. I mean these cards came out in October. My 2009 Alienware M17xR1 with 260M GTX still works and I put that machine through hell.

I would stop overclocking so much, particularly the voltage. Voltage is generally what will kill a card besides too high of a memory clock.

If you don't need to overclock I would advise pulling back the core and voltage. 1380 is really quite high for a 980M anyway for everyday use. I certainly wouldn't risk my cards with those clocks 24/7.

Since nvidia locked the maxwell for oc'ing thru software.. Is it possible if svl7 or Johnkiss or anybody from the moderator to add (on the first pate) to tweak the core and memory speed? say for 970m and 980m

vbios tweaks for 970m :

- 970m_oc1st (135mhz core, 300 mem)

- 970m_oc2nd(150mhz core, 300 mem)

- 970m_ocxxxxx

- 970m_ocxxxxx

vbios tweaks for 980m :

- 980m_oc1st (xxxmhz core, 400 mem)

- 980m_oc2nd(xxxmhz core, 500 mem)

- 980m_ocxxxxx

- 980m_ocxxxxx

Since nvidia locked the maxwell for oc'ing thru software.. Is it possible if svl7 or Johnkiss or anybody from the moderator to add (on the first pate) to tweak the core and memory speed? say for 970m and 980m

vbios tweaks for 970m :

- 970m_ocxxxxx

- 970m_ocxxxxx

vbios tweaks for 980m :

- 980m_ocxxxxx

- 980m_ocxxxxx

The problem with doing this is that no two cards are the same and since the flashing tool only works in Windows, you want to use it as little as possible because so much more can go wrong with Windows which multi-tasks 24/7 vs DOS that does not.

The problem with doing this is that no two cards are the same and since the flashing tool only works in Windows, you want to use it as little as possible because so much more can go wrong with Windows which multi-tasks 24/7 vs DOS that does not.

mine is doing fine at 150mhz(core), 300mhz(mem)

mine is doing fine at 150mhz(core), 300mhz(mem)

I had mine at 1298 core. I don't mess with vram because there's no way to tell how hot it's getting.

I run it stock now. Was just for benching. No need otherwise. I mean I can play Witcher 2 with a 3K downsample with 45-90 FPS depending on the scene, there's no need to overclock that I've found yet. Lol

vbios tweaks for 970m :

- 970m_ocxxxxx

- 970m_ocxxxxx

vbios tweaks for 980m :

- 980m_ocxxxxx

- 980m_ocxxxxx

That would be pretty awesome! Never been a fan of software overclocking. If they did that we could have the latest drivers and have significant overclock!

I had mine at 1298 core. I don't mess with vram because there's no way to tell how hot it's getting.

I run it stock now. Was just for benching. No need otherwise. I mean I can play Witcher 2 with a 3K downsample with 45-90 FPS depending on the scene, there's no need to overclock that I've found yet. Lol

Yeah. Don't need to overkill the mems. Core speed is the way to tweak the gpu but not that high though

Yeah. Don't need to overkill the mems. Core speed is the way to tweak the gpu but not that high though

Well there is a point where you have diminishing returns if you don't bump up the memory speed but you need to know what the memory chips can handle. They're usually rated slightly higher speed than they're running at but that's not a guarantee.

...i request other GT72 users oc'ing history to see here achieving a true analyze about gtx980m...

My Card is running on stock voltage (Because of what Prema told recently I guess I won`t tweak voltage.) with the following values 1126 base / 1278 boost and 2885 vRam written directly into the vBios. I never had any crash with those settings.

Best regards

phila

P.S.: Should`nt we have an extra thread for this questions as it deems me to be slightly OT?!

My Card is running on stock voltage (Because of what Prema told recently I guess I won`t tweak voltage.) with the following values 1126 base / 1278 boost and 2885 vRam written directly into the vBios. I never had any crash with those settings.

Best regards

phila

P.S.: Should`nt we have an extra thread for this questions as it deems me to be slightly OT?!

How did you modify the clocks on your vbios? I tried Maxwell Bios Editor 1.36 and it won't open the unlocked vbios!

How did you modify the clocks on your vbios? I tried Maxwell Bios Editor 1.36 and it won't open the unlocked vbios!

Don't you need to use Maxwell II BIOS Tweaker to open 900 series vbioses?

Maxwell II Bios tweaker is what I used. It won't open the unlocked 980m vbios rom file.

Will it open an untouched ROM? Should be able to set everything yourself if you know what you're doing. Otherwise if you ask nicely Prema or svl7 might help you.