NVIDIA Maxwell VBIOS mods - 900m series overclocking versions

svl7

Hi. Thank you for your work! In fact the GTX980m you provided doesn't work well with my CLEVO P377SM-A. Now I have only one piece installed on it and after flashing your vBIOS, every time I go to Furmark and do a stress test at 1080P with 8X MSAA, the driver stops working(with no overclocking). Do you have any way to solve that? Thanks.

I wouldn't use Furmark as a stress test, it's completely unrealistic. Try a 20min run of Unigine Heaven Benchmark instead. Furmark places unreal loads on the GPU, and NVidia have been artificially throttling performance in Furmark since Fermi (eg since 460M/560M/580M) because of this fact as soon as the exe is detected & launched. But yes, it shouldn't really crash on Furmark.

Great! So the vbios that you share here has not gotten the slider unlocked? Yes I know my way around flashing the vbios so no worries here. I'll update you once I get home from work. Can't remember what exact color it is during throttling that GPU-z is giving me the last time I OC'd the gpu. But I could see the core clock frequency dropping few times during testing. I'll check later once I tried flashing the vbios. Thanks a lot Kingkaan!

Hey man. Did you flash your bios yet? I'm getting my laptop on Wednesday so in gong to flash it too. Wanna see if there's any successes yet

Hi, thank you for your reply. I have tried Heaven Benchmark and the driver stopped working at about 3 seconds after the benchmark starts. I'll try to run some game now and see if the vbios work.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't use Furmark as a stress test, it's completely unrealistic. Try a 20min run of Unigine Heaven Benchmark instead. Furmark places unreal loads on the GPU, and NVidia have been artificially throttling performance in Furmark since Fermi (eg since 460M/560M/580M) because of this fact as soon as the exe is detected & launched. But yes, it shouldn't really crash on Furmark.

Hi, thank you for your reply. I have tried Heaven Benchmark and the driver stopped working at about 3 seconds after the benchmark starts. I'll try to run some game now and see if the vbios work.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you do it on g751jt?

Did you do it on g751jt?

I did it on Clevo P377SM-A(17.3 inch, sli capable). I just tried The Crew and Counter Strike Global Offensive. The crew was able to run at high preset but in ultra preset it doesn't start. CSGO doesn't even run.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you do it on g751jt?

By the way, now I only have one piece of 980m installed on my laptop.

I did it on Clevo P377SM-A(17.3 inch, sli capable). I just tried The Crew and Counter Strike Global Offensive. The crew was able to run at high preset but in ultra preset it doesn't start. CSGO doesn't even run.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, now I only have one piece of 980m installed on my laptop.

Flash it back to regular bios and oc it from there. In going to try to mod amd see wtf is going on

Flash it back to regular bios and oc it from there. In going to try to mod amd see wtf is going on

In fact the stock vbios doesn't allow me to oc at all. I tried msi afterburner and NVIDIA inspector. The afterburner just doesn't apply the clock to my 980m. The inspector doesn't allow overlooking for even 1mhz. I'm sorry to bother you but if you could help me, I would be very grateful. Do you need my stock vbios?

In fact the stock vbios doesn't allow me to oc at all. I tried msi afterburner and NVIDIA inspector. The afterburner just doesn't apply the clock to my 980m. The inspector doesn't allow overlooking for even 1mhz. I'm sorry to bother you but if you could help me, I would be very grateful. Do you need my stock vbios?

No, I have clevo 980m bios. what driver are you using ?

<title></title>

<big><big><big><big>NVIDIA 'Maxwell' VBIOS mods

</big></big></big></big>

Here you find modified VBIOS versions for the mobile parts of the Nvidia 'Maxwell' series.

The VBIOS versions in this post are tweaked for performance and versatility. You'll get almost complete control over the performance parameters of your GPU.

List of available VBIOS mods:

• Nvidia GTX 970m - 'OC edition' rev0 - >> 6 GB Version << - modified by @johnksss & svl7 -> see attachments
  • Nvidia GTX 980m - 'OC edition' rev0 - >> 8 GB Version << - modified by @johnksss & svl7 -> ​see attachments

Screenshot demonstrating the capabilities of the 970m versions:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13439[/ATTACH]

>> Read the instructions carefully before flashing! <<

If anything is unclear after reading or if you have additional remarks, please post in the thread.

Flashing:

- Go to the device manager -> 'Display Adapters' -> chooser your GPU, right click on it and choose disable

- Flash the VBIOS with mnvflash, a modified version of nvflash (see attachments). Here are detailed instructions for nvflash in case you aren't familiar with it.

- After the flashing is done: Enable the GPU once again in the device manager.

- Reboot

Do NOT use driver 347.09, it's broken and useless and won't allow you to overclock, even with the stock firmware.

Don't distribute the files hosted here outside of Tech|Inferno. Don't modify the files you download here.

Hi, do you have the DOS version of the modified NVFLASH? My laptop disables integrated graphic card so I can't use the disable-and-flash method; I have to to to dos to flash it. The version of NVFLASH for DOS is not modified thus doesn't recognize my 980m. Thank you!

Hi, do you have the DOS version of the modified NVFLASH? My laptop disables integrated graphic card so I can't use the disable-and-flash method; I have to to to dos to flash it. The version of NVFLASH for DOS is not modified thus doesn't recognize my 980m. Thank you!

You can still disable the 980 in device manager without the integrated card. Then use the nvflash tools in windows.

Hey man. Did you flash your bios yet? I'm getting my laptop on Wednesday so in gong to flash it too. Wanna see if there's any successes yet

Hey. Yes i have flashed it and its good so far. Im running at 300 core & 280 mem with 1.1 volt. Scores around 10k in 3dmark11, 1800 in valley and 1k in heaven with maxed out settings (1080p) temps around 70degree C. I'll post benchmarks screenshots once i get on my laptop after work.

UPDATE with benchmark.

post-7163-14494999385592_thumb.png

- - - Updated - - -

There's definitely something wrong with that then. I would go back to the vBIOS you were using before, or increase the voltage, or lower the clocks.

hallo mein name ist fabian, ich komme aus deutschland und habe eine asus g751 mit gtx 970, könnt ihr mir bitte einen link zu mobile nvflash geben?? sorry für mein schlechtes englich , aber ich lese hier schon länger mit und möchte meine grafik flashen

T|I ADMIN NOTE: THIS POST HAS BEEN ALLOWED THROUGH BUT KEEP IN MIND THAT TECH|INFERNO IS AN ENGLISH BASED FORUM. PLEASE CONTINUE FUTURE DISCUSSIONS IN ENGLISH ONLY. -BRIAN

• Bios Modder
hallo mein name ist fabian, ich komme aus deutschland und habe eine asus g751 mit gtx 970, könnt ihr mir bitte einen link zu mobile nvflash geben?? sorry für mein schlechtes englich , aber ich lese hier schon länger mit und möchte meine grafik flashen

Just look at the first page of this thread. :)

I am running an Alienware 17 R5, 8 gb GTX 980m, windows 7. The card works fine, was just looking to overclock. I cannot get mnvflash to do anything. When I try to open it and hit enter, it automatically closes when I try to type any commands. What am I doing wrong!? About to rip my hair out here!

I am running an Alienware 17 R5, 8 gb GTX 980m, windows 7. The card works fine, was just looking to overclock. I cannot get mnvflash to do anything. When I try to open it and hit enter, it automatically closes when I try to type any commands. What am I doing wrong!? About to rip my hair out here!

You don't run it from the nvflash file. You should open an elevated command prompt then type in the commands. In my case: c:\nvflash\nvflash.exe -6 c:\nvflash\XXXXX.rom where XXXX is the vbios file name located in the nvflash folder.

Pic to help you out:

post-7163-14494999428201_thumb.png

PS: Don't forget to disable the display driver in the device manager before running the above command. ;)

You don't run it from the nvflash file. You should open an elevated command prompt then type in the commands. In my case: c:\nvflash\nvflash.exe -6 c:\nvflash\XXXXX.rom where XXXX is the vbios file name located in the nvflash folder.

Pic to help you out:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14008[/ATTACH]

PS: Don't forget to disable the display driver in the device manager before running the above command. ;)

Damn, thanks alot for the help!

Hi,

I have a P34W V3 from Gigabyte and the gpu throttle because of a limit of the TDP. Temps are good , less than 80°C ... the voltage decrease when full load in benchmark or some games.

Do you know if it's possible to have the same benefit of the bios in the first page of this topic for my laptop ?