NVIDIA Maxwell VBIOS mods - 900m series overclocking versions

svl7

Is it still possible to OC with a modded vbios after the nvidia driver lockdown?

And to add to this:

1.) If one flashes the vBios: Will the recent drivers (347.52 for example) allow to adjust the clocks & voltage via NVinspector or MSI Afterburner?

2.) Or will all the OCing have to be done directly via vBios?

Best regads

phila

P.S.: Can I use svl7s Bios mod on my MSI GT72 without harm or will I need a special vBios? - At best I`d like to recive an answer from the master himself ;-)

And to add to this:

1.) If one flashes the vBios: Will the recent drivers (347.52 for example) allow to adjust the clocks & voltage via NVinspector or MSI Afterburner?

Best regads

phila

P.S.: Can I use svl7s Bios mod on my MSI GT72 without harm or will I need a special vBios? - At best I`d like to recive an answer from the master himself ;-)

NO

1.NO

2.YES IF USING DRIVERS AFTER 344.75

and Dont fuck with me NaughtyVidia..!

- - - Updated - - -

And to add to this:

Best regads

phila

NO

1.NO

2.YES IF USING DRIVERS AFTER 344.75

and Dont fuck with me NaughtyVidia..!

• Thumbs Up 1

Can anybody please help me!? Whenever I try to flash with mnvflash it is telling me I/O Error: Cannot open file: 980MOC.rom.

I backed up my current vbios and was able to flash it, did this just to see if it worked. Whenever I try to flash the overclock vbios I get the I/O error message every time.post-33046-14494999444876_thumb.jpg

You don't run it from the nvflash file. You should open an elevated command prompt then type in the commands. In my case: c:\nvflash\nvflash.exe -6 c:\nvflash\XXXXX.rom where XXXX is the vbios file name located in the nvflash folder.

Pic to help you out:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14008[/ATTACH]

PS: Don't forget to disable the display driver in the device manager before running the above command. ;)

post-16277-14494999448216_thumb.jpg

I tried flashing the card with unlocked BIOS. This is how far I get, but it gets stuck at this point. The card is disabled in the device manager before the flashing. What could be wrong?

Hi svl7,

The OC vbios for the 980M is working well. Thanks a million!. It increased my Heaven Benchmark score by 100 points. But when I OC using afterburner, it crashes. I tried to increase the clock by 100Mz, it's not working.

During the benchmark, the temperature is 68°C, that's kinda cool :) I'm wondering if you can increase the OC a little bit.I have a GT72 with the GTX 980M (for information).

PS: I'm trying to understand how to tweak a vbios. There is many doc about BIOS tweaking but not vbios. I'm using IDA (and HEX editor) to disassemble the rom but it seems that I have to unpack it before, but I can't found any unpacker... if you can PM me some advice. I want to learn :)

Thanks.

Thank you so much slv7 and ohnksssfor all the hard work and effort you guys put in these vbios mods. A very big thank you to slv7 for all the work with earlier GPU vbios. I was using a modded version on 680m and it was great.

I was pretty scared to brick my card using windows version of nvflash as it looked like it was always just freezing. This looked wrong, since DOS version is almost instant in providing some kind of feedback after you type the command in.

I did the following to complete the flashing:

rebooted

enabled legacy in bios

booted to windows 8.1

saved backup vbios with gpu-z (had to wait for a few minutes, it looked like it was freezing at first, but just continue waiting)

disabled gtx 980m in device manager

ran cmd as admin and typed in the commands from OP. At this point it looked as if nothing is happening, but I kept waiting for at least 1-2 mins and finally saw some feedback. cmd showed my gpu and offered to continue loading new vbios. And the flashing was done!

rebooted and changed back into uefi, secure boot on, saved and booted into windows

I was quite scared that in windows something might go wrong, but it's just as easy as in DOS. So it will work, you just have to be very patient, which I wasn't at first.

First 3d mark 11 run with stock clocks (it was crashing with original vbios):

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/9448077

Thank you so much slv7 and ohnksssfor all the hard work and effort you guys put in these vbios mods. A very big thank you to slv7 for all the work with earlier GPU vbios. I was using a modded version on 680m and it was great.

I was pretty scared to brick my card using windows version of nvflash as it looked like it was always just freezing. This looked wrong, since DOS version is almost instant in providing some kind of feedback after you type the command in.

I did the following to complete the flashing:

rebooted

enabled legacy in bios

booted to windows 8.1

saved backup vbios with gpu-z (had to wait for a few minutes, it looked like it was freezing at first, but just continue waiting)

disabled gtx 980m in device manager

ran cmd as admin and typed in the commands from OP. At this point it looked as if nothing is happening, but I kept waiting for at least 1-2 mins and finally saw some feedback. cmd showed my gpu and offered to continue loading new vbios. And the flashing was done!

rebooted and changed back into uefi, secure boot on, saved and booted into windows

I was quite scared that in windows something might go wrong, but it's just as easy as in DOS. So it will work, you just have to be very patient, which I wasn't at first.

First 3d mark 11 run with stock clocks (it was crashing with original vbios):

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3740QM Processor,Alienware M17xR4

Nice GPU score, I'd like a score like that - double my GPU score and you've not even pushed the 980M yet! A travesty that NVidia have blocked overclocking of these brilliant 900M chips with their latest drivers!

• Thumbs Up 1

Can anyone tell me the difference between Prema's BIOS and this one? My 980Ms are hitting high 80s (BIOS has hard lock at 87C so I'm not worried about that) and I am wondering if it's the vbios. I was getting 70s before. I have a P377SM-A and I see people posting issues with this machine and this BIOS so I'm unsure what to think.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

not working ? ? ? and what is not working ? you cant flash ? and what the program says tell us ?

ok lets start this thing from the beginning...

first create a new folder in your C: drive and named it NVFLSH

if you want to use svl7's vbios then copy Nvidia 980m - 'OC edition' rev0.rom file into that new folder and rename it 980mslv7.rom

then copy all the files in mnvflash_windows_5.196.zip into the same folder again

then push and hold windows key on your keyboard and push X together and select command prompt (Admin)

then write there "cd c:/NVFLSH" enter

after this it should be like this C:\NVFLASH>

now write there "mnvflash -a" enter or "mnvflash --list" enter ..

now you should see there two cards as below;

<0>Geforce GTX 980m ......

<1>Geforce GTX 980m.......

and then the line you must write there to flash your cards is for the second card first

nvflash -i 1 -6 980mslv7.rom enter

and follow the instructions and press "y" yes all the time if everything is ok

after card 2 is finished then

you can go for the first card then

nvflash -i 0 -6 980mslv7.rom

and same thing above...and restar the pc and enable gtx 980m in device manager or install your nvidia driver

NOTE: Do not install 344.75 above drivers 347.09 and 347.25 both of garbage from nvidia for gtx 9xx users...

2nd NOTE:if mnvflash doesnt work use nvflash comes with premamod here is the link ==> http://forum.techinferno.com/attachments/clevo/13527d1420546022-clevo_8gb_gtx980m_oc_pm_v1.rar

3rd NOTE:if nothing works open windows control panel and choose region and in format section choose English (United States) and apply and restart your pc

then check the program if its gonna work or not...?

and Nooo its time to :53_002: or :Banane36:or :64:or :Banane45:or :waaaht:or :22_002:or :50_002:or :ah:or :23_002:or :too_sad: or :72: which makes you :45: or:59: or :doubt: or :02: and finally :34_002:

good luck dude i hope its gonna work this time

IMPORTANT NOTE : BEFORE FLASHING DO NOT FORGET TO BACKUP YOUR VBIOS FIRST...!

here is the command ==> mnvflash -b org980m.rom or nvflash -b org980m.rom

I have a gtx 980m installed in my computer, but my computer is reading it as a gtx 970m

so is there mcuh difference after manually appliying thermal paste ? and which kind of thr.pst did u use ? ceramic ,silk etc..

It's borderline... With the new paste job the temps are about 3-4 degree lower which is just enough so it doesn't start to throttle :-)

I' using either arctic silver or notua nt-h1.

It's borderline... With the new paste job the temps are about 3-4 degree lower which is just enough so it doesn't start to throttle :-)

I' using either arctic silver or notua nt-h1.

Noctua pumps out fast which will drive temps up. It's one of the worst pastes to use in low pressure mounts like a laptop. Personally I've had the best results with Gelid GC Extreme and IC Diamond (I won't use IC Diamond anymore, it scratched my CPU so bad I thought the die had cracked) with GC Extreme performing better on the GPUs by about 2-3C than IC Diamond which already outperforms AS5 by a few degrees.

Please help, when I try to backup my GTX980M bios before flashing new mod vbios in dos mode from bootable USB drive, it said "no Nvidia adapter found". I was also tried to list out adapter using "nvflash --list command but turn out the same... What shall I do....Currently I own P15SM-A/SM1-A

Please help, when I try to backup my GTX980M bios before flashing new mod vbios in dos mode from bootable USB drive, it said "no Nvidia adapter found". I was also tried to list out adapter using "nvflash --list command but turn out the same... What shall I do....Currently I own P15SM-A/SM1-A

Grab GPU-Z and do it from Windows. When you look to the right of the BIOS version, there's an icon that looks like a chip. Click that and it will save your vbios.

As for nvflash, read directions. You have to flash in Windows and there are specific instructions including a modded Windows nvflash.

Grab GPU-Z and do it from Windows. When you look to the right of the BIOS version, there's an icon that looks like a chip. Click that and it will save your vbios.

As for nvflash, read directions. You have to flash in Windows and there are specific instructions including a modded Windows nvflash.

Thank you very much for quick help and workable advised.. cheers

Same thing happened when I try to flash mod bios in bootable dos "No Nvidia adapter found". However, I checked my system detected the card correctly showed NV Gforce 980M.. Please advise..

It has to be done from Windows, DOS is no longer an option for flashing. Read the post where you found the vbios and follow the directions. You need a hacked nvflash, the vbios, you need to disable your 980M in the control panel device manager and then flash in an elevated command prompt (run as administrator) then reboot.