[GUIDE] Macbook: enabling Optimus internal LCD mode

Evo*

Can somebody with experience in this area please explain me what is "Optimus"?

As far as I understood it will allow going to Sleep mode with eGPU connected?

Correct me if I am wrong, "Optimus" is used if you need to use internal display with eGPU.

Will "Optimus" provide any performance benefits?

My configuration is:

- MacBook Retina 13" Intel Iris 5100

EVGA GeForce GTX 750Ti

- Windows 10

Can I set up "Optimus" with this configuration and if yes, then how?

@Boykodev

Optimus is GPU switching 'technology' created by Nvidia.

Only available on Mobile Workstation (mostly) or Laptops that incorporates Intel HD Graphic from Intel Processors as an Integrated Graphic (Power Saving), and Nvidia GTX / Quadro Graphic Card as Discrete Graphic for more graphic/compute demanding applications (Max Performance)

Windows 10 has it's own Hybrid Graphic capabilites.

Nvidia also have 'Maximus' GPU switching technology but only works on Workstation that incorporates High-end Quadro GPU + Tesla card.

By system default / BIOS, Laptop Internal display will use Intel Graphic, and External Monitor (thru it's Digital output port) will be driven by Discrete Graphic / from 3D Application options from Nvidia Control Panel.

some has managed to make Optimus works with eGPU on Win 10, but many has failed :)

I have managed to make iGPU runs for my internal and eGPU Quadro 4000 for Mac 2GB for my External monitor

IMG_4771.JPG

But this doesn't work when i use Quadro 6000 6GB. Output display only goes to eGPU

FullSizeRender.jpg

Both setup has no issue for lid closed, and restart or sleep while it closed

Edited by ssamydla

13 hours ago, Boykodev said:

Can somebody with experience in this area please explain me what is "Optimus"?

As far as I understood it will allow going to Sleep mode with eGPU connected?

Correct me if I am wrong, "Optimus" is used if you need to use internal display with eGPU.

Will "Optimus" provide any performance benefits?

My configuration is:

- MacBook Retina 13" Intel Iris 5100

EVGA GeForce GTX 750Ti

- Windows 10

Can I set up "Optimus" with this configuration and if yes, then how?

Hey man,

Is your mbp late 2013 or mid 2014?

If it's late 2013, Optimus (output from eGPU to internal display) should work OOB in windows 8.1/10.

If it's mid 2014, Optimus will work OOB if you install windows with BootCamp 5.1.5640.

12 minutes ago, devild said:

Hey man,

Is your mbp late 2013 or mid 2014?

If it's late 2013, Optimus (output from eGPU to internal display) should work OOB in windows 8.1/10.

If it's mid 2014, Optimus will work OOB if you install windows with BootCamp 5.1.5640.

I am pretty sure it's late 2013. Don't have it at hand right now to double check though.

So what should I do to make it work? Can I use the guide on the first page of this topic?

1 hour ago, Boykodev said:

I am pretty sure it's late 2013. Don't have it at hand right now to double check though.

So what should I do to make it work? Can I use the guide on the first page of this topic?

No, just install nvidia drivers for your gtx750ti and then switch to "Show desktop only on 1 display" in settings.

24 minutes ago, devild said:

No, just install nvidia drivers for your gtx750ti and then switch to "Show desktop only on 1 display" in settings.

I wish it would be so easy.

- switching to "Show only display 1" results in lagging of all system animations.

The same effect I have when I close the lid and eGPU becomes the only active display.

I have already created a discussion trying to resolve it:

Another thing is that I don't have "Sleep" option when eGPU is connected, which is pretty inconvenient.

I don't think I have this "Optimus" activated already...

Edited by Boykodev
grammar

I just described my experience with mbp late 2013 and mid 2014 (both with intel only graphics) and windows 8.1 and windows 10.

I used Akitio box with Dell DA-2 200W and custom 300W (for LED light). I didn't use barrel in both cases, just soldered wires to PCB on back of barrel.

And i didn't use sleep option. Don't like it.

Perhaps I do have this "Optimus" activated already.

Just tried to connect eGPU without external display and it worked!

But what about "Sleep" mode?

Is it possible to put MacBook to sleep when eGPU is connected?

6 hours ago, Dazmat said:

I have windows 10 on boot camp and can't get the video card to work with laptop screen. Works fine if I hook up an external monitor. Anyway to get it to work without one?

What graphics card do you have?

I have EVGA GeForce GTX 750Ti and the only thing I did to get it working with internal screen, is just installed the latest drivers from the EVGA website.

This is the simplest way to keep Iris enabled with the Late 2013 and Mid 2014 Iris(Pro) only Macs on Windows,

1) Download apple_set_os.efi
https://github.com/0xbb/apple_set_os.efi
2) Format an USB stick in OS X Disk Utility (Choose Erase, Format: MS-DOS (FAT), Scheme: Master Boot Record)
3) Create a folder structure in Finder as follows: EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi
where bootx64.efi is the renamed apple_set_os.efi file

If OS X is installed, open Startup Disk, and choose BOOTCAMP partition and restart the Mac, USB stick plugged.

Hold down Option key and you should see a new disk "EFI Boot" (eGPU connected at this point).

Select "EFI Boot" with the enter key to boot into Windows and the internal screen stays enabled.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

Hello there,

i am new to this community, recently i am builing on my egpu following all the post, and my current setup is 2014mbpr+aiktio box + evga gtx 970.

just wnat to know if anyone is able to upload the "OPTIMUS.dmg" file, the link in this threads are dead, can not work without it tho !

• 1 month later...

Thanks! Tho I have late 13" rMBP 2013 I can't get the internal screen working, will try with this EFI tweak.

On 8/3/2016 at 1:29 PM, devild said:

But do you need external screen to make this switch? My internal screen is blank a soon as I choose Win 8.1 partition from boot screen.

2 hours ago, umax said:

But do you need external screen to make this switch? My internal screen is blank a soon as I choose Win 8.1 partition from boot screen.

I was getting the same problem if Windows was installed in Legacy mode with BootCamp assist (13" MBP late 2013 and 13" MBA mid 2012). After re-installing in EFI mode and applying this tweak everything was OK.