[GUIDE] Macbook: enabling Optimus internal LCD mode

Evo*

Well can you find out what process is causing the load? You can get more details in the task manager to reveal all tasks.

I could imagine that it maybe affected the power saving setting from the bootcamp drivers and you CPU doesn't reduce it's clock speed. Can you check the energie settings?

Well can you find out what process is causing the load? You can get more details in the task manager to reveal all tasks.

I could imagine that it maybe affected the power saving setting from the bootcamp drivers and you CPU doesn't reduce it's clock speed. Can you check the energie settings?

System, or more specifically, 'NT Kernel & System', called ntoskrnl.

Energy settings are all the same, but if I use ThrottleStop I see that the processor is staying at around 2300 MHz (with temps of 80 degrees). But even if I set a multiplier to keep it at just 800 MHz, the temperatures still stay high, in the 60s.

@lordromanov01: It's the same with my MBPr. Temps are all above 60°C and 10-20% load in Idle, but thats because I set an aggressive energy setting:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Balanced

If I choose power saver the CPU clocks down, but even in Games the CPU is clocking down all the time. That can make a game running not so smooth.

It's just that Apple programmed OSX much better regarding power saving and CPU efficiency.

@lordromanov01, @Dschijn:

I've got the same issue when my Macbook boots up with the Intel GPU activated without any EFI mod.

I always follow the same procedure: Power on, hold ALT, wait for the boot menu to appear, wait until the wifi networks are found, switch on the Akitio by powering the outlet and start a timer on my phone(I start the outlet with my foot). I then wait 1:30-2:00 min and boot. Sometimes, especially after being in OS X, I can see the boot circle of Windows on the internal screen and I then know I have to reboot once again because I've got a constant load on "System" every time then.

I do not know why this is happening, though. I've never put anything into my EFI, I only made an image once because I wanted to do the Optimus mod but I never did.

The smarter half of my development team tells me that without even trying we have Optimus working on Mini in Windows 8.1. I hadn't noticed.

He noted the expected drop in frame rates compared to simply connecting via the eGPU. Not much advantage, but then I realized that this WOULD allow someone stuck with a TB display to use an eGPU and get the TB display working better then iGPU. (at least in Windows)

I narrowed down the problem to ACPI.sys. After looking into it, I found others with similar problems that suggested that a simple sleep/wake cycle solves it.

I tested this and found that CPU usage went from a constant 6-8% to 1% as it should be (although temps were still high but that could be down to something else).

I don't know how this cycle would affect Optimus and the eGPU however.

Got a really odd problem here after installing Optimus on my MBA, Windows 8.1 x64 (bootcamp). Neither the trackpad nor the keyboard is working! I feel like I've tried everything to fix it, among uninstalling bluetooth drivers, reinstalling the bootcamp support software, and even done a complete reinstall of Windows with bootcamp followed by the entire Optimus installation process. It's really weird though, because other USB mice and keyboards work fine. The only button I can press on the integrated keyboard now is the power switch. Help? :S

• 2 weeks later...

So, with switching to a Akitio case based setup I wanted to try the Optimus enabled mode but I get that constant load(~10-12%) on "System" everytime. I even get it when I boot Windows without eGPU. I rebooted several times with and without USB devices(Hub, ext. HDD) but I am unable to boot Windows with Optimus without that load on "System" task.

Any ideas? While there is the load also without eGPU I'd say something is wrong with my Windows installation but I'm not sure what. I may try another fresh Windows installation on another external HDD.

If I boot with eGPU attached it's fine. It's somewhat weird.

Edit: Ok, I got it. After installing Optimus files to EFI and booting Windows there's the load on System task. Then hibernate and boot again, choose Windows(if not default anyway) and the load will be gone :) Basically exactly what lordromanov01 wrote but I only tried sleep(save energy) and this resulted in a crash and reboot when waking up. Hibernating works though.

The reason would be interesting to know but as long as it's working...

• 3 weeks later...
What does disk0s1 means?

You have to enter

diskutil list

With that command you get a list of all partitions/segments on your disk. disk0s1 is a possible code for your Mac to order all that segments e.g. disk0s1 up to disk0s4.

That codes are like the way the Mac is adressing the partitions/segements, not by the name you might give it ;)

nope gonna try

- - - Updated - - -

Nope still didn't change anything

Oh sorry, I thought you were talking about the Grub prompt!

The reason why you can't see anything happening when typing in your password in the OSX terminal is just so you can't see what's written. You are actually typing it in although all you can see is a "●". Just type it in and hit enter. [emoji6]

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Oh sorry, I thought you were talking about the Grub prompt!

The reason why you can't see anything happening when typing in your password in the OSX terminal is just so you can't see what's written. You are actually typing it in although all you can see is a "●". Just type it in and hit enter. [emoji6]

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hi again sorry for all this question I am getting grub and hd, gpt1234 ect what do I do?

Read point 6. Carefully. It's all written down there, just followed it some days ago, also needed to change the partition to boot off because I've got an external hdd connected at boot.

Follow the instructions to find out which partition your EFI is on. Remember it. Edit your grub.cfg on your EFI partition in OS X and change the partition to what you remembered...

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello I have a problem when I select efi boot it is not booting into windows(8.1) and it is saying grub.

That's because you don't seem to be able to read and follow instructions on page 1.

Scroll down a bit and seach for "6. Troubleshooting (optional)". When you've found it follow 6.1, 6.2 and do 6.3 with every (hd,gpt) combination you're shown until you read something with EFI. Once you see something with EFI you remember the combination that brought you this result.

Then write again here if you don't figure out what to do next...

And btw, there's an edit button.

That's because you don't seem to be able to read and follow instructions on page 1.

Scroll down a bit and seach for "6. Troubleshooting (optional)". When you've found it follow 6.1, 6.2 and do 6.3 with every (hd,gpt) combination you're shown until you read something with EFI. Once you see something with EFI you remember the combination that brought you this result.

Then write again here if you don't figure out what to do next...

And btw, there's an edit button.

now when I type this command in terminal os x it is saying not such file in directory.

now when I type this command in terminal os x it is saying not such file in directory.

You're supposed to type these commands in the grub command view you get to see when you want to boot Windows...

if you can't remember the commands make a picture with your phone or open the thread on your phone.

You're supposed to type these commands in the grub command view you get to see when you want to boot Windows...

if you can't remember the commands make a picture with your phone or open the thread on your phone.

I mean when I type /Volumes/EFI/EFI/Grub/grub.cfg in osx as it is saying not such file in directory.