Differing FPS on Recent Games

yogesh40124

I am a PC gamer, and I use my dedicated graphics card for playing games. I want to know why some games like Shadow of Mordor are able to run with a good FPS while others like AC Unity lag a lot even on lowest settings. Both are open world games meant for current gen consoles (PS4/XBOX One), so I wasn't expecting a difference.

Probably the only answer to this would be bad optimization coding, apart from that it might just be that the one game was primarily coded with Nvidia in mind and the other with Amd. You may want to look at this forum thread as well as it basically answers the same question. http://forum.techinferno.com/pc-gaming/7217-actual-quality-graphics-vs-system-requirements.html

I totally agree with user "Khazul" but if you experience low fps in some games, it could be caused by old graphics card drivers, also. I have experienced it in Far Cry 4. With previous version of graphics drivers I reached about 10-13 fps on Nvidia 660m and, when i had thought that I could only uninstall that game, I updated the drivers and my fps's jumped to the level about 25-30 . It's a great improvement without changing hardware!

• 4 weeks later...

I've also seen some huge fps and detail boosts running optimisation for specific games thro Nvidia GeForce expereince. I should note that I'd already done plently of DYI optimisation on those games; I'll be damned if I can figure out how they get those games running so well at such high detail, when all my tinkering was basically trading off quality for fps. However it's done, the results seem good, and if you run an Nvidia I can only recommend it.

• 4 weeks later...

It is worth checking that your hard disk is not bottle necking your system. The disk was running at 100% during peroids of low fps.

I put an msata SSD in and I even got an extra 10fps in cities in dayz. Its not all about your video card.

Its not all about your video card.

While this may be true indeed, it is still very poor on the manufacturers to have certain levels of unoptimization in games these days. With the amount of work they do on consoles, you'd think they could let things run free on PC, but nope.

To add to what was stated above, the code in some games is just terribly optimized. Especially in unity, as the AI is just a CPU hog. So there's a possibility that your CPU is bottle necking. Not necessarily the case though, could well be just optimization/compatibility issues with your hardware.

Try this...Depending if you have an i7, 5, etc something with hyper-threading, find the game under your Task Manager, Details tab (I'm on Windows 8.1, so might differ for you if on 7) and drop your first core. I do this on Arma 3 and I get a MASSIVE FPS bump...Cpu bottle-necking to the max. I also get large amounts of microstutter due to typical hard-drive, so a SSD for smaller games might be a good choice. I've also had Driver issues with specific games like Borderlands. The newest drives threw the FPS down to 25, I rolled back to a known and BAM solid 60.

I am a PC gamer, and I use my dedicated graphics card for playing games. I want to know why some games like Shadow of Mordor are able to run with a good FPS while others like AC Unity lag a lot even on lowest settings. Both are open world games meant for current gen consoles (PS4/XBOX One), so I wasn't expecting a difference.

its difference of optimization.

some game is optimized for nVidia and some is for AMD

it differs ~20fps on same spec.

consoles has almost same hardware. so it is optimzed well, and it results in good performance

While this may be true indeed, it is still very poor on the manufacturers to have certain levels of unoptimization in games these days. With the amount of work they do on consoles, you'd think they could let things run free on PC, but nope.

Agreed, however we can make hardware and OS changes ourselves to suit our needs where console gamers cant.

We can also choose not to invest money in games where the developers cant be bothered to deliver a working game. I wasted so much money on the battlefield frachise that was frankly, unplayable for me due to some major bugs and crashes. I now no longer buy EA / Dice games.

My old gaming laptop after a ram upgrade and OS now runnign form an SSD is running borderlands 2 on all settings on high like a champ.

It's frustrating when another game that does not as nice at the best of times wont run at all on the same hardware.

• 1 month later...
I would check the drivers, they might be outdated. I would clean everything with it first Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 14.0.0.1 and then reinstall the display drivers, I've gpt fps boosts doing so, but yeah that also could be bad optimisation by the game devs.

I prefer to use driver sweeper myself. But don't forget to restart the system after you clean the drivers.

In case of AC:Unity, it's probably just bad optimisation on the dev's part.