M18x disassembly woes

I managed to get myself an M18x R1 with at least one dead GPU, thankfully I happen to have an AMD 7970m lying around.

Sadly, after getting mid-way into disassembly, I discover the torx screws are heavily stripped, and some of the ribbon cables have no plastic clips, and are using improvised methods to be held in.

Where can I purchase the clips, and how do I install them?

• 4 months later...

The plastic clips are part of the motherboard and cannot be replaced, you will need to purchase a new motherboard I am afraid. Also like everyone else has said there should be no torx screws in these laptops.

Where did you get this laptop from ?

I know it has been a few months but I hope you have managed to fix this problem by now.

• 4 months later...
The m18x shouldn't have torx screws... ShadowOfScales could you take a picture of the screws that are stripped? In regards to the ribbon cables having no plastic clips, how is that possible? Did someone break them? Is it a refurbished unit?

The M18x does have torx screws (4 if I recall right), but they should never have to be removed and have nothing to do with disassembly/reassembly to gain access to the top of the MB. The only way it would have torx screws in other locations is due to the prior owner(s) putting the wrong screws in the wrong places.

• 2 weeks later...
The plastic clips are part of the motherboard and cannot be replaced.

this is false, ive replaced 2 broken clips now on the sata connector which is notorious for breaking on the R2 apparently; the whole design of the clips is pretty awful ive had others break like the keyboard connector small one

MOST of the time, if only one side of the clip is broken you can still make it work by pressing it in with a screwdriver

• 1 month later...
this is false, ive replaced 2 broken clips now on the sata connector which is notorious for breaking on the R2 apparently; the whole design of the clips is pretty awful ive had others break like the keyboard connector small one

MOST of the time, if only one side of the clip is broken you can still make it work by pressing it in with a screwdriver

One side of my Sata cable is broke and it works just fine, it's held in with just pressure but I've experienced no issues. Though if I could replace it I would. @anarky321, where did you get the replacements?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add to the discussion my sata connector going to the hdd, on my r1 is broke also. It was like that when I first got it thou. I just hold it with small tweezers, put the ribbon cable in, than press the connector in place. Haven't had any problems with it this far, but I did just by a new motherboard a few weeks ago because I've been chasing the whole black screen windows update thing around like crazy so hopefully I don't brake this one anytime soon.

• 4 weeks later...

its most likely due to being snapped off when removing them to harsh.

it seems that they messed up and decide they need to move the laptop on to someone else.

the clips are part of the motherboard. But you can use good quality sticky tape to hold it into place. its dodgy but it works well.

if you need help with pulling it apart or putting it back together let me know and i can make a picture thread.