2014 15" MBP GT750M +Titan_Z@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + OSX10.10 [garytyler]

I've used 3 different cards with my MBPr and Akitio now. They can all be used with external monitors bit you must boot with the monitor unplugged and plug it in within the first few seconds after your desktop loads.

When I learned this, I was just remembering that even without an eGPU, my Thunderbolt Monitor wouldn't turn on until my desktop loads during bootup and thinking it was worth a try. It works almost every time. If it doesn't work for some reason, I just reboot. It is a little annoying but it works and it's worth it.

I would expect that there is a modification we could use with the tunneling commands in the kext files that would change this because my guess is that the issue has to do with the fact that the Apple Thunderbolt monitor and some of the Thunderbolt hubs are the only peripherals that could tunnel to other devices through Thunderbolt before the kext modification. Now that I think about it, some of the extra Kexts may not be necessary for use without enhanced graphics. I'll try that in the next few days and post my results. I may be onto something here.

Sadly, this did not work, my Asus remains as inert as before. Staring glumly at me with its unused display. Good luck with your tinkering!

MVC: I haven't installed CUDA drivers yet. I am today though. But the monitor connected to the 970 acts as though it is receiving no input. However, the card shows up in System Profiler. Go figure

EDIT: CUDA installed!

DOUBLE EDIT: Reinstalled drivers, fixed GTX 970 monitor issue, however, screens plunged in to rMBP remain blank.

Sadly, this did not work, my Asus remains as inert as before. Staring glumly at me with its unused display. Good luck with your tinkering!

MVC: I haven't installed CUDA drivers yet. I am today though. But the monitor connected to the 970 acts as though it is receiving no input. However, the card shows up in System Profiler. Go figure

EDIT: CUDA installed!

OK, I haven't had coffee yet today.

To sum this up, you can get displays connected to rMBP to work, but connecting to eGPU will show eGPU in System Profiler but ANY display connected to eGPU will remain black while ANY display connected to rMBP works. Is that what you are experiencing?

Sorta.

Firstly, my apologies for the lack of clarity (Note to self: don't post while donating blood)

Secondly, my problem is that any display plugged directly into the rMBP does not work, and only one works through the 970. I would like to either be able to drive them all off of the GTX 970, or drive all but one of them off of my rMBP and the remaining one off of the rMBP (It's a 4K monitor)

Thirdly, while that was my problem at one point, a driver reinstall solved it.

Sorta.

Firstly, my apologies for the lack of clarity (Note to self: don't post while donating blood)

Secondly, my problem is that any display plugged directly into the rMBP does not work, and only one works through the 970. I would like to either be able to drive them all off of the GTX 970, or drive all but one of them off of my rMBP and the remaining one off of the rMBP (It's a 4K monitor)

Thirdly, while that was my problem at one point, a driver reinstall solved it.

Just to be sure, your system is now working with 10.10.1, the 970 and your 4k display connected on the eGPU ? which web drivers please ? Is it stable? do you game, render or both please ?

Just to be sure, your system is now working with 10.10.1, the 970 and your 4k display connected on the eGPU ? which web drivers please ? Is it stable? do you game, render or both please ?

The setup is correct. Im using 334.1.02b02. It is sometimes stable. I game, although usually in windows. I do not render.

I say sometimes stable because it occasionally does not connect to the eGPU display. This is solved by repeating the install from scratch. I'm so sorry about the clarity of my posts. I rarely visit forum sites, and it shows.

EDIT: Drivers are NOT stable, I repeat, drivers are not stable and require a reinstall every time I back from the OS X default drivers. This is frustrating, because I do like a battery life of more than 6 hours.

• 9 months later...

Hi I work with color Davinci Resolve, transfer, and video 4k, 5k....

I looking for Akitio chassi, and video card, you would have a suggestion what PCi more cheap and with good performance?

my macbook pro retina mid 2014, 2.8GHz, GT 750M, OS X 10.9.5.

I see various GPUs requiring drivers, and a Apple don't allows.

• 3 months later...

@MVC What NVIDA drivers are you using for your Titan Black Cards?

I've followed the instructions posted here

And my setup is the following, but I can't get the eGPU recognized...any guidance would be appreciated.

1. MacBook Pro Late 2011
  2. OS X 10.10.5 (14F1605)
  3. Processor:  2.8 GHz Intel Core i7
  4. Memory:  16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
  5. Graphics:  Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB
  6. Echo Express lll-D
  7. Corsair CX Series, CX600M, 600 Watt (600W), Semi Modular Power Supply, 80+ Bronze Certified
  8. NVIDIA Web Driver: 346.02.03f05
  9. CUDA Driver Version: 7.5.25 -- but it says no GPU Driver Version is found.

I've tried the after installing, but I've had no luck.

sudo kextcache -system-caches

One thing I suspect is that my install of 10.10.5 is not fresh and I may need to do the entire process after re-installing, but the key thing I'd like to confirm is the NVIDA web drivers support the Titan Black card even though their site doesn't state that fact.

Cheers,

Edited by mdt

@mdt For OSX support you might want to ask here: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/7989-script-automating-the-installation-of-egpu-on-os-x-inc-display-output/

The script should also cover your card (ask goalque to make sure) and you can skip the hassle with the "oldschool" guide.

• Thumbs Up 1