Oh i know the look on your face when you saw the title your thinking not another whos better! I was thinking about changing the question! Say its a perfect world and both of the video cards were free which would you choice and why? Me personally I would pick Nvidia because I have had very bad experiences with AMD/ATI what about you?

Edit: I am referring to the 580m sorry for any confusion!

Edited by TheGame

I would have to really see some real world comparisons. Personally the 6990M would rock my world through and through... I've used both ATI and NVIDIA and IMO I like the support I've got from ATi and Nvidia. I had experience with a few NVIDIA chipsets and had many blue screen errors due to driver issues... after quite sometime the driver issue was fixed with later driver revisions. But for the particular video card I was notified by mail of a class action lawsuit against NVIDIA for not meeting advertised speeds and performance. I did not join it and also did not suffer from some of the warnings of burned out gpus but I have not bought an Nvidia card since. Now pertaining to buying I would buy 6990m and if someone gave me them for free I would pick the GT580m because it is in fact more powerful...

Edit: I didn't see 580 I assumed you meant GT580m but if it wasn't what you meant please correct me. If not we should fix the title since the 580 is a desktop and not a fair comparison to the mobile gpus.

Edited by mw86
added question

• Founder

At this point, it is what gaming titles you prefer since some favor Nvidia and others favor ATI and if you need CUDA or not, but in any case the difference won't be that dramatic to define a winner. Personally I wouldn't mind going with either of them as long as they were for free, but when cost is part of the equation then the choice is more than obvious.

You mean if it was a perfect world? As long as the heat dissipation/power draw were equal I wouldn't really care, driver support has been very good from both sides, especially AMD has provided some excellent drivers recently.

But probably AMD...

What issues did you have with AMD GPUs?

And of course which one is a better overclocker, since OCing offers extra power for free (as long as you don't mind the electricity bill).

This, and it adds a lot of benching fun!!! :D

• Thumbs Up 2

You mean if it was a perfect world? As long as the heat dissipation/power draw were equal I wouldn't really care, driver support has been very good from both sides, especially AMD has provided some excellent drivers recently.

But probably AMD...

What issues did you have with AMD GPUs?

Haha yea my bad spelling error but the issues i had were they were getting way to hot and cause my R2 to shut off i think it was the thermal paste but never the less when you deal with one issue for 3 weeks before dell will admit its there fault you have to blame someone right? :Banane21:

Edited by TheGame

I would have to really see some real world comparisons. Personally the 6990M would rock my world through and through... I've used both ATI and NVIDIA and IMO I like the support I've got from ATi and Nvidia. I had experience with a few NVIDIA chipsets and had many blue screen errors due to driver issues... after quite sometime the driver issue was fixed with later driver revisions. But for the particular video card I was notified by mail of a class action lawsuit against NVIDIA for not meeting advertised speeds and performance. I did not join it and also did not suffer from some of the warnings of burned out gpus but I have not bought an Nvidia card since. Now pertaining to buying I would buy 6990m and if someone gave me them for free I would pick the GT580m because it is in fact more powerful...

Edit: I didn't see 580 I assumed you meant GT580m but if it wasn't what you meant please correct me. If not we should fix the title since the 580 is a desktop and not a fair comparison to the mobile gpus.

Yea i meant the 580m sorry about that!

Haha yea my bad spelling error but the issues i had were they were getting way to hot and cause my R2 to shut off i think it was the thermal paste but never the less when you deal with one issue for 3 weeks before dell will admit its there fault you have to blame someone right? :Banane21:
Dell being at fault is very correct in that instance. I'm sorry to hear about the overheating issue. They are known as many manufacturers that mass produce their machines for bad TIM jobs. I didn't have my r2 ever shut off due to you overheat... I had overclocked till everything was too hot and the CPU at its thermal limit will shut the system down, tripping the ac adapters maximum wattage load will shut the system off and that's about it. When the gpu overheats too much they throttle like the CPUs but I haven't seen the system shut off for overheating they throttle to their lowest set MHz such as 150/100 memory/core. I don't remember the low power speeds honestly. But either way Dell probably gave you a bad setup of the ATi cards since they normally operate very dependably. AMD and Nvidia have great gpus these days, the premium either company charges is always going to be the opinion of the buyer determining if its worth that premium to them.

Edit: would we want to make this a poll so we can visually see what the active members really think?

Edited by mw86
added question for the forum
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dell being at fault is very correct in that instance. I'm sorry to hear about the overheating issue. They are known as many manufacturers that mass produce their machines for bad TIM jobs. I didn't have my r2 ever shut off due to you overheat... I had overclocked till everything was too hot and the CPU at its thermal limit will shut the system down, tripping the ac adapters maximum wattage load will shut the system off and that's about it. When the gpu overheats too much they throttle like the CPUs but I haven't seen the system shut off for overheating they throttle to their lowest set MHz such as 150/100 memory/core. I don't remember the low power speeds honestly. But either way Dell probably gave you a bad setup of the ATi cards since they normally operate very dependably. AMD and Nvidia have great gpus these days, the premium either company charges is always going to be the opinion of the buyer determining if its worth that premium to them.

Yea I can understand that completely it all comes down to the facts these days companies can do or say things to make there product more marketable but what makes me angry is dell bought alienware which i believe was a good thing, but when a company does not test there product that we all pay so much for its a little disappointing! I think the AMD hassle i went though is probably a very rare one, but never the less it is something i will have to get over because Nvidia is slowing losing its advantage in the mobile field not just in performance but in price as well and i am a die hard Nvidia fan so!

• Thumbs Up 1

Yea I can understand that completely it all comes down to the facts these days companies can do or say things to make there product more marketable but what makes me angry is dell bought alienware which i believe was a good thing, but when a company does not test there product that we all pay so much for its a little disappointing! I think the AMD hassle i went though is probably a very rare one, but never the less it is something i will have to get over because Nvidia is slowing losing its advantage in the mobile field not just in performance but in price as well and i am a die hard Nvidia fan so!
actually you are right not an AMD prob but a Dell prob and it actually is common to Dell lately. They really don't have good quality control since Alienware was purchased by dell, but not limited to Alienware division the Dell sector is just as bad. Just see the Alienware review on home page.

actually you are right not an AMD prob but a Dell prob and it actually is common to Dell lately. They really don't have good quality control since Alienware was purchased by dell, but not limited to Alienware division the Dell sector is just as bad. Just see the Alienware review on home page.

Oh I agree and since I did my research before I called to get a exchange for my R2 I found out that Alienware still has one independent location (still owned by dell just run by alienware) in Costa Rica and that is were the quality is at the manager asked me if i would not mind waiting one extra week for quality control *because of all my past issues* and i told him i would wait a month as long as this is the last one i need to send back!

Edited by TheGame
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Meh, Ive had NVIDIA cards all my life (7300LE, <- upgraded to 9800GTX, GTX 260M, GT 555M), not by preference, but just by how things worked out.

But 6990M seems to have the better bang for your buck, so probably that.

Again free Id take a 590M SLI

:3

Unfortunately, the 580m is the better overclocker as it has one more step up in the voltage tables which the guys over at mvktech can unlock. A 580m running on 0.92v as opposed to 0.87v can successfully hit 560 Ti clocks and rake in over 17k GPU scores in Vantage. Whether that outweighs the price I don't know...