OFFICIAL: M17x-R2 Benchmarking Thread

Dry ice sublimates (turns to gas and expands if not kept at a temp lower than -109F. If you put it in a sealed aluminum container, you better stand back, as it will explode. It's frozen CO2 which is why it skips the liquid phase and turns to gas, which is why if felt comfortable putting it straight on the CPU and GPU heatsinks. Most people when benching put it in a copper pot which sits on the CPU die/GPU die/mem. Then they fill it wil isopropol alcohol and put the dice in it so that it spreads the cold and sucks the heat out of the CPU. I tried to make a cheap makeshift dice pot out of a copper pipe cap and pipe, but it didn't work as well, and I'm guessing because it wasn't perfectly smooth to mate with the cpu die. So I resorted to putting it on the heatsink to cool the heatsink and thus the CPU.

So it is never sealed and it is normally kept in a freezer somewhere at less than -109F. So is there a way to store it at home easily without it all evaporating? Could you use a ice chest full, as if it was an air conditioner and blow the freezing air into the system? Would that be a waste of time compared to an air conditioner blowing into air intake? Is the only real way to harness the dry ice when it is in direct contact with the surface?

*Does anybody here that is using the R2 A10 bios mod notice any settings that were unlocked that actually work, or help performance? Was bios over-clocking on non extreme processors the only thing unlocked?

Nice score, this is the highest I've had so far. 5872 I have a 146MHz FSB, 26x across all cores, 1000MHz/1300MHz GPU, and still can't break 5900. I'm thinking I need to mess with settings or something, Just can't figure out what.

5872y.th.jpg

Result

Comparing our results, it looks like it's Graphics Test 4 that is killing my score. I'm getting 16.6 FPS, where your getting 19.04 FPS. If I can figure out that, I may have a chance at putting up a better score.

Edited by DR650SE
  • Thumbs Up 1

I reinstalled CCC and the drivers and there were other options that I didn't have before. Maybe I neglected to install something before. Time to Rerun some benches, but this one was done without external cooling, and lowered the clocks to 930/1200. I'll get a 1GHz GPU run done today which should stack nicely. Also might have to rerun Vantage and see if it makes a differance. Not sure if it will or not.

P5924

5924.th.jpg

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/990493

• Thumbs Up 1

Congratulations DR650SE, nice score. Looks like there's a triple threat on 3DMark11 everybody steer clear of Stamatis-X, DR650SE, MW86. Brian if you reran your 3DMark run it may help you sell your R2. CCC settings are very important. Turning off tesselation is very important, thank Stam. Also turn mipmaps to high performance, Catalyst Optimization to performance, check the box to optimize flat surfaces and make sure anistropic is set to app setting and antialiasing to box(seems to be best performance for antialiasing). Now if I can use setfsb to set 148mhz baseclock and have fans at max with HWInfo while tweak itls setting to low resources used, I just may be able to go up a tiny bit more. DR650SE my last increase that I saw was from the 89TDC, 90 caused me to restart comp. Plus I turned off the tweak for constant turbo max multiplier on quad core to the origional dynamic behavior of the cpu. So my dual core and single core modes were faster for the tests that did not have physics which I believe the physics tests are all quad core. DR650SE lets see 6100+ with your dry ice, I know you can do it at 1ghz core, just need to keep that spaceship cool.

• Thumbs Up 1

Final run for the day, on Dice. Now time to head to work and make some money! :P

3DMark11

P6385 --- rock.gif

6385.th.jpg

Result URL for details

Once I reinstalled CCC and everything, it was apparant a run on dice would provide favorable results. I may try for higher GPU locks later when I get some time, but they are already pretty high. Still have to run vantage with those clocks. May be a while since I'm moving to a new Apt in a week. Once I get settled, time to head bac to the ice cream shop for more dice :D

• Thumbs Up 3

• Founder
Final run for the day, on Dice. Now time to head to work and make some money! :P

3DMark11

P6385 --- rock.gif

6385.th.jpg

Result URL for details

Once I reinstalled CCC and everything, it was apparant a run on dice would provide favorable results. I may try for higher GPU locks later when I get some time, but they are already pretty high. Still have to run vantage with those clocks. May be a while since I'm moving to a new Apt in a week. Once I get settled, time to head bac to the ice cream shop for more dice :D

Nice!!! Lets see what the limits of this laptop are, pretty impressive clocks

• Thumbs Up 1

Now that's a score that won't be touched without going through the same effort with dice. Conratulations DR650SE, very impressive score. What amazing clocks. With those scores i'm wondering if you could beat 6970M crossfire or a GT485M SlI. I want to see the laptops limits to Stam this is quite a setup. Would anyone here say the 920XM can reach similar limits a 940XM can? Again Kudos DR650SE amazing stuff. Your score eclipses any laptop I know of.

• Founder

3DMark11

P6385 --- rock.gif

6385.th.jpg

Result URL for details

Wow man, very nice run! I bet even dual 6970M's won't be scoring much higher. Keep it up

• Thumbs Up 1

When i get a chance, maybe in a week or so, i will run the same settings with a 920xm. They are pretty much identical and should give the same results. Ill do it after I move. Let the one cream shop germore dice :P I bought 26 lbs on the past week Lol

Thanks guys. Can't wait to see 6970's in action.

• Thumbs Up 1

DR650SE please do I believe the 920XM can match the 940XM to a tee. Keep up the amazing work I'm cheering for ya. You are showing what an R2 can peak at but this certainly shows there's unlockable performance in the R2 that's tapped into with proper cooling. So there is room for improvement in thermal design and I'd love to see some more user discovered techniques and mods to improve the design under normal function(laptop completely assembled). I am also looking forward to seeing the 6970M being benched to it's limits. Have you thought about doing what Brian did with the 6970M and the R2? Mumak did do amazing with fan control given it didn't work at all to start. Now I want to hear why this won't work please. The R2 with Crossfire 6970M, using a vbios from another branded card couldn't you flash the secondary card correctly, leaving th only problem being voltage? In which case couldn't you down clock just enough to allow thier use? I think card for card 5870M could still be beat with a single 6970M even downclocked a little. So if that works or not I wonder, a single 5870M of DR650SE overclocked to the same speeds used for 3DMark2011 against stock 6970M and an overclocked 6970M just for comparison.

DR650SE, these are insane scores. The only way I could beat those if I abuse the low temperature lab in the corridor next to mine, which I don't will happen. :) The 920 and 940Xm are just brutal for overclocking. I had no idea the M17x power supply can power 125 W TDP on the CPU.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unreal25 do you have any benches to share? The Wiz's custom A10 bios allows bios over-clocking for non XM edition cpu's so you can attempt similar feats. Brian has a thread started about it.

I was able to top my Vantage score with clocks increased a tad. Had enough dry ice this morning for 2-3 runs. I had picked up 13 lbs on thursday, so there was about 1lbs left. I topped my scores in 3 of the 4 scores. CPU test two was the only one. My previous best was 28.81, and this time it was 28.14. Still, plretty pleased with the results. All I can say is this system is a monster. Finally broke the 23K mark for the CPU score.

Vantage: P 21724

GPU: 21325

CPU: 23016

21724o.th.jpg

Edited by DR650SE
  • Thumbs Up 3

I'm so close maybe somebody has suggestions? I want to get 6K 3DMark2011. I just got 5976 just 24 points away on stock paste.

3dmark20115976result920core1235memory115v105tdp80tdc1497bclk34quad.jpg

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff474/marcwwaters86/Benchmark/3dmark20115976result920core1235memory115v105tdp80tdc1497bclk34quad.jpg

3dmark2011 5976 result 920 core 1235 memory 1.15v 105tdp 80tdc 149.7 bclk 3.45 quad used for test

Result

My most recent runs I was able to do 3dmark2011 5970 result 920 core 1235 memory 1.15v 125tdp 95tdc 149.7 bclk 3.45 quad 3.6 Dual I just can't seem to get those 24 points. At this point I've started using HWinfo32 for fan control but seems to not yield any better results. Heat being a problem factor, HWinfo is amazing though. Throttles Stop+ HWINFO32+ SetFSB = Gold! How are my overclocks? My Physics score (CPU) went from 7545 to 7687 in 3DMark2011.

Edited by mw86