OFFICIAL: M17x-R2 Benchmarking Thread

• Founder
We have tons of it in my research lab and it's pretty cheap (cheaper than water :) ), but you'd need to spend some time to make a nice cooling system with it I guess.

Yeah proper insulation will be a big challenge, the humidity and the vapors can shortcircuit the mobo

Copy and pasting my post from NBR.

I finally accomplished a goal of mine. Ran Vantage at 1GHz on the GPU Core. Ran with the clocks of 1000MHz on the core, 1300MHz on the memory. Broke 21K GPU score and set a new high score for myself.

I also ran wPrime1024M in sub 200sec. Which was another goal. Also set a record for wPrime 32M. Yesterday was a good day benching.

rockwoot.gif

Vantage: P 21390

GPU: 21058

CPU: 22453

21390y.th.jpg

wPrime32M: 6.235sec @ 4039.5MHz

6235y.th.jpg

wPrime 1024M: 197.997sec @ 3895.7MHz

197997.th.jpg

Cooling on Dry Ice. I tried out a makeshift DICE pot, but the cooling wasn't as efficient as this method, and since dry ice doesn't turn to a liquid, I had no issues, other then burns to the fingers. :P I'd still like to get an effective dice pot, that would make things much easier.

dscn1552copy.th.jpg

Side note, does anyone have an issue where there 3DMark11 freezes as it's 3/4 of the way through loading the "combined" test? I can make it through everything else, but this freezes my system. I may try and lower the clocks.

Edited by DR650SE
  • Thumbs Up 4

• Founder

Wow that is definitely taking it to the extreme haha! Congratulations on a new world record, I don't see any R2's breaking that until the M18x rolls around. I read in the other thread that you got the dry ice from an ice cream shop, that's pretty funny. So do you have any goals to reach higher or are you at your peak?

DR650SE i have had 3dmark2011 do that same thing only on gpu clocks which my gpu couldn't handle due to heat. here's my latest. Result 3dmark20115917result920core1235memory115v100tdp81tdc35quad.jpg

3dmark2011 5917 result 920 core 1235 memory 1.15v 100tdp 81tdc 3.5 quad 25x 140mhz

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff474/marcwwaters86/Benchmark/3dmark20115917result920core1235memory115v100tdp81tdc35quad.jpg

Edited by mw86
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think at this point I may be at my peak, though I havn't tried higher clocks. I might try that later. I've had slightly higher GPU scores, but not total overall scores. Highest GPU score was 21083. Currently I'm trying to beat the 6K StamatisX put up, but using the same 950MHz on the core, the highest I can get is 5595 so far. Though at the moment thats the highest I can clock without dry ice. I was able to run through the GPU tests with 1GHz on the core, but when it hit the combined test, I thought it was taking too long, so I'd shut it down. Only today to realize that it takes a long time to load that particular test. Tommorrow I may go and get some more dry ice. I never thought to look in an ice cream shop till I started googling and some near me came up. The closest is closed for a while till I think the weather warms up, so instead of a 2 mile trip, its a 6mi :P I gotta find StamatisX's secret lol :P

@mw86, Nice! I gotta figure out what I'm doing wrong, you guys are smoking me by almost 400pts! All my clocks, CPU/GPU are higher. Strange, ...pack to the idea table :P

Edited by DR650SE
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

With 3DMark11, the limitting factor for me was the PSU... it couldn't handle the extra CPU power so I had to lower the TDP to a point that I would let me finish the test. But I had no extra cooling, room temperatures unfortunatelly...

DR650SE, do you use dry ice on your PSU as well?

• Thumbs Up 1

I feel good knowing not many are as close to Stam as I am in 3DMark2011 but I know I haven't tapped into the real capabilities til I have re-pasted. 5900+ isn't very high as Stams is 6050+. I also am on no extra cooling. I have stock paste on cpu and gpu's, no airconditioner, no dry ice, my battery is in during these, and all covers are on laptop including bottom and keyboard etc... in fact these are all without even HWinfo's fan control, which I will re-bench soon with full fans. I use the notebook cooler in the notebook general discussion and the power-supply cooler I made that's in the general thread. I don't find the PSU limiting but heat for me. I can't get my GPU clocks higher without repasting. I seem to score higher on my 920XM @ 140 base-clock at a lower multiplier than 137 base-clock at a higher multiplier. DR650SE congrats on WPrime and Vantage, that's amazing and untouchable without a similar setup. I don't know how to use SETFSB I would rather use than the bios until the WIZ gets bios to go 5-10% overclock. I want to use 24x 148mhz-ish. 3552mhz-ish. The extra 8mhz baseclock would be a great sweet spot. I think I read 150 range to be about the limit. I just can't figure out after setting the specific number for our motherboards how you change the registers.

Edited by mw86

• Founder

Yeah that's because when increasing the BCLK you give an overall boost to your system (ie RAM) compared to the isolated CPU boost through either the multis or the TDP and some benches take advantage of that.

Yeah that's because when increasing the BCLK you give an overall boost to your system (ie RAM) compared to the isolated CPU boost through either the multis or the TDP and some benches take advantage of that.

Nicely said, I would like to use SETFSB to do so until THEWIZ has a working version 2 of the custom bios, I am on version 1 now... and I wish the fan thermal trip-points were working when adjusted.

Haha. Probably. I bough 5lbs the first day and 8 yesterday. Funny, when they asked me what it was for I straight up said to keep my processor and gpu cold for benchmarking. Kinda got a confused look.

Edited by DR650SE
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

I am really tempted to be honest, I will have to wait though till the 16th of Mai so that in case something goes wrong I can afford to be without a laptop for a couple of days. I have to try cause otherwise it will bother me for ever...

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

Oh yeah, it's very addictive, I really wish we had more options with the power supply, benches that require the combined power of GPU and CPU at the same time would be greatly benefited.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh yeah, it's very addictive, I really wish we had more options with the power supply, benches that require the combined power of GPU and CPU at the same time would be greatly benefited.

I agree like using an M18x powersupply 20_003.gif

Result

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff474/marcwwaters86/Benchmark/3dmark20115945result920core1235memory115v100tdp81tdc35quad.jpg

3dmark20115945result920core1235memory115v100tdp81tdc35quad.jpg

3dmark2011 5945 result 920 core 1235 memory 1.15v 100tdp 81tdc 3.5 quad

I still have the same settings as before and haven't used the manual fan control through HWinfo yet. 59.gif

How's that for stock paste?

• Founder

That's with stock paste everywhere? Cause if you managed to make the GPU clock that high with stock paste and thermal pads it's a miracle

The M18x seems to have a 240W PSU so it won't be of any assistance...

• Thumbs Up 1

throttlestopbench1024m8thread97tdp97tdc25x140.jpg

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff474/marcwwaters86/Benchmark/throttlestopbench1024m8thread97tdp97tdc25x140.jpg

directecomputebenchmarkmultithread100tdp100tdc25x14026xdualcore26xsinglecore1000mhzcore1000memory.jpg

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff474/marcwwaters86/Benchmark/directecomputebenchmarkmultithread100tdp100tdc25x14026xdualcore26xsinglecore1000mhzcore1000memory.jpg

directecomputebenchmarksinglethread100tdp100tdc25x14026xsinglecore26xdualcore1000mhzcore1000memory.jpg

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff474/marcwwaters86/Benchmark/directecomputebenchmarksinglethread100tdp100tdc25x14026xsinglecore26xdualcore1000mhzcore1000memory.jpg

Yeah it's true there has been no change to thermal pastes or pads. The only thing I have done was add tape on thermal cooler fins of both gpu's and just what I could see on the cpu fins from the bottom of computer. I did this 2 weeks ago after being over 8 months old I thought I needed to blow dust out. I did there was lots of dust on the fins. The other thing I have done is here check out my post to understand. http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x/29-%5Bphotoguide%5D-cleaning-replacing-thermal-compunds-gpu-cpu-m17x-r2.html Plus I noticed the screws exposed for CPU heat sink were slightly loose i firmly tightened them with prim95 going but showed no difference in the temps I witnessed.

*Stam notice the CPU temp prob you told me you noticed not too long ago.. it never changed... I will re-paste when I can afford to. I want the best I don't know if Shin-Etsu is but I may get that one.

Edited by mw86

Then MX-4 is what I will use. This dry ice I was wondering how it works in a certain scenario. I know how most people use it but this is what I was wondering. Is the dry ice always cold or does it get cold as it is exposed to oxygen or what our air is which is some co2 and some O2. I was wondering could I buy dry Ice and put it in like an aluminum enclosure that seals it... but is small and could cool the thermal coolers... So if dry ice is put into a sealed thin metal case like aluminum, will that aluminum stay freezing on the outside... and will the dry ice run out still or does this keep it from evaporating?