OFFICIAL: M17x-R2 Benchmarking Thread

• Founder

So... let's see how good you are :D

How to submit your scores

1. Make a post in this thread that will contain a screenshot, provide a link of your results if it is a 3DMark Vantage/11/06 run and post anything else you feel like mentioning for that particular run, i.e ambient temperatures, cooling method, etc...

2. Go to Forms and locate your laptop and then click on the benchmark you want to submit your results

3. Complete the form. The last question of the form will ask you to submit the link of either your post or the link of the screenshot you took (i.e [ URL]http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x/133-m17x-r2-benchmarking.html#post519 )

Note: You must type those tags (don't copy-paste them from this post, must be in capital letters, no spaces,) like the example above in order for the link to be clickable.

In case you want to edit or delete your submission or need assistance on how to submit your score check the guide here

****************************************************************************************************

Submit your Scores HERE

M17x-R2 League

3DMark Vantage

3DMark 11

3DMark 06

I'll be posting some soon after i finish my clean install of windows. In the mean time to set a basis for benches please post what benches we are all looking for here. 3Dmark, PCmark, Sandra Soft, Everest, WEI, HWinfo32, Prime Benchmark Function and so on

• Founder

I'm finally going to repaste tonight and tweak my retention mod. Then I'll install the 11.2 + CAP and run some benchmarks though I doubt I'll ever get my GPU clocks as high as stam since he's got some golden shower samples.

• Founder
I doubt I'll ever get my GPU clocks as high as stam since he's got some golden shower samples.

i will use this quote if I ever decide to sell my R2 LOL (I will leave the shower part out though LOL)

• Founder
nice!

how are your temps ?

Not that great actually, the retention mod doesn't last for long I might have to redo it in a couple of weeks... I was shocked when I saw how fast the temperatures exceeded 100C... the wprime 1024m run was right after I had performed the retention mod with room temperatures, the superpi with external cooling

• Founder

wow, that sucks.

I sold my AW but i really wanted to try a copper mod on the CPU.

My logic is that since the contact between the CPU and the heatsink is not very good, we do retention mods, so why not put a thin copper shim between the cpu and the heatsink ?

That will increase the pressure between the heatsink, the shim and the CPU thus allowing for better heat transfer and since copper is an excellent heat conductor i believe that might work and if it does it is much safer than the retention mod (1 mobo + 1 940xm already garbadged)

• Founder
wow, that sucks.

I sold my AW but i really wanted to try a copper mod on the CPU.

My logic is that since the contact between the CPU and the heatsink is not very good, we do retention mods, so why not put a thin copper shim between the cpu and the heatsink ?

That will increase the pressure between the heatsink, the shim and the CPU thus allowing for better heat transfer and since copper is an excellent heat conductor i believe that might work and if it does it is much safer than the retention mod (1 mobo + 1 940xm already garbadged)

Given the opportunity I will explain my point of view on that matter.

The reason we use thermal paste and we don't apply the copper directly to the CPU die is because the surfaces are not completely flat so they don't make perfect contact, therefore we don't have the maximum heat transfer, thermal paste fills those gaps, but if we add an extra layer of copper between the CPU die and the heatsink, for the reason mentioned above we would have to apply an extra layer of thermal paste between the copper and the heatsink, the more the gaps we have to fill and the more the thermal paste we apply, the less heat we dissipate, so it wont be that efficient compared to the retention mod with only the absolutely necessary amount of thermal paste between them which is only one layer. (as a general note, excessive amount of thermal paste will increase the temperatures instead of lowering them, it is there to fill the gaps, not to replace the metal contact)

What would be more efficient to do, is to somehow channel the heat to the chassis of the laptop since it is from aluminum, or I was also thinking to apply thermal pads between the heatsink and the magnesium cover (there is a point that those two are almost touching each other).

post-3-14494987595058_thumb.png

post-3-1449498759478_thumb.png

• Founder

i still got a gut feeling it will improve temps... wish i had tried that before i sold the R2

i think that the extra pressure would compensate for the double thermal compound layering (top and bottom of the copper shim)

• Founder
i still got a gut feeling it will improve temps... wish i had tried that before i sold the R2

i think that the extra pressure would compensate for the double thermal compound layering (top and bottom of the copper shim)

Well any extra pressure on the die, makes it equally dangerous to the retention mod.

• Founder
Well any extra pressure on the die, makes it equally dangerous to the retention mod.

sure but half a mm shim is nothing compared to the pressure applied but the retention mod.

It literally torn my motherboard when i overtightened the screws last time

• Founder
sure but half a mm shim is nothing compared to the pressure applied but the retention mod.

It literally torn my motherboard when i overtightened the screws last time

yeah right now I am with only the 2 screws, but every time I was tightening them a bit further I was wondering when I would hear the crack...:54_002:

• Founder

I think TurboTalon found a better way to do the retention mod. He used the normal heatsink without the c-clip change and just applied washers at the bottom to create more tension. That way you can use all 4 screws and still perform the mod using the same steps (e.g. tweaking the screws torque while watching prime95 on screen).

I actually took a desktop heatsink, cliped a small copper shim from it, and tried what Mike is discribing, and didn't see any improvement temp wise. Though maybe somone else could have differant results, I'd be willing to give it another shot.

• Founder
I actually took a desktop heatsink, cliped a small copper shim from it, and tried what Mike is discribing, and didn't see any improvement temp wise. Though maybe somone else could have differant results, I'd be willing to give it another shot.

Try the washer method that turbotalon did and see if you get improvements. I might do it today.

As far as benches, here is what I have. A lot of them are going to need to be rerun as they can still be pushed further. Most we rerun with out any retention mods, so I'll be rerunning them now that the mods are done. If I ever manage to find time. I think my favorite benchmark of all of them is the PCMark Vantage benchmark as it is a system assesment of the entire notebook, and simulates a lot of real work senarios. I also need to run 3DMark11 when I get some time. Moving in to a new apartment in a month, and got a two bedroom, so I can have a computer room :D

DR650SE's Alienware M17x R2 Benchmarks.

GPU Benchmarks

5870M Dual GPU

3DMark Vantage: P19838 Marks

3DMark06: 23720 Marks

3DMark05: 31672 Marks

3DMark03: 80002 Marks

3DMark2001 SE: 50975 Marks

Unigine Heaven DX9: 1459.12 Marks

Unigine Heaven DX11: 927 Marks

AquaMark: 168065 Marks

----