Clevo P150SMA Prema mod overclocking help

p.sherbet

Morning all,

First post :smug:.

I have a Clevo P150SMA, it's about 6 months old now.

Luckily I have some really nice temps at the moment:- CPU/GPU never seem to go above 60c. So I though let's overclock!

I have flashed prema mod BIOS and now have no idea what to do next to overclock. I'm used to overclocking on AMD desktop machines but not Intel/nVidia laptops :ambivalence:.

I normally dual boot linux/windows, linux is my main OS and windows I use for gaming so I would prefer BIOS overclock, although for GPU this is not that important. MSI Afterburner does not allow me to overclock.

So I far I believe the best thing to do is flash a vBIOS for the GPU to allow overclocking in afterburner and overclock the CPU in BIOS.

My question is how do I overclock the CPU in BIOS and any other advice. A guide to prema mod BIOS overclocking would be great but I can't find anything.

use intel xtu for cpu oc and nvidia inspector for gpu oc, settings and GUI are pretty self-explanatory :)

Thanks, with nvidia inspector and unlocked BIOS I have so far got +100mhz core, +750mhz memory and -25mv voltage, but that was just after a few hours I will go back to it later.

XTU seems very complex - not sure where to start.

As above I would prefer BIOS overclock for CPU due to my main OS being linux and often dualbooting - however I would first use XTU to find a stable overclock.

Does premamod BIOS support the same overclocking features as XTU and where should I start?

Ok so I have looked around and it looks like the best way to overclock is just to undervolt the system, due to the TDP limits.

However I have noticed in windows I don't get turbo at all, just the stock 2.5gz (i7-4710mq), in linux turbo works fine.

Any ideas why is turbo not working in windows (8 x64)?

mmm yes and no. on one hand ull theoretically be able to reach a higher clock when undervolting due to a larger headroom with the TDP limits, in reality though ur maximum available clock will also be limited by the undervolt. basically more volts = higher attainable max. clock

but since ur 4710MQ is limited to +200 Mhz overclock anyways, it might actually be a good step to undervolt it as long as it can reach that oc stably :)

concerning ur turbo boost issue: have u tinkered around with tools such as throttlestop or maybe set a wrong value in intel xtu? if everything looks fine, try and revert back to stock values and see if your cpu behaves normally then. another thing to try: enter control panel and hardware list, remove your CPU and reboot.

cheers

Ok so I have looked around and it looks like the best way to overclock is just to undervolt the system, due to the TDP limits.

However I have noticed in windows I don't get turbo at all, just the stock 2.5gz (i7-4710mq), in linux turbo works fine.

Any ideas why is turbo not working in windows (8 x64)?

Install latest Hotkey App and set it to performance mode... ;)

Wow - prema, I'm honored.

Back to the issue. I have installed Clevo hotkey and set to performance but I have same issue, but the CPU does not clock down with this set to performance (always 2.5ghz, before it would go between 0.8 and 2.5ghz).

I have tried resetting BIOS, uninstalling CPU from device manager and XTU shows that turbo and speedstep is enabled.

I didn't have throttlestop installed but have installed it now and by default it shows multiplier set to 25 and the disable turbo box is grayed out. Setting multiplier to 26 - 35 does then active turbo, although the disable turbo box is still grayed out until set to 35.

Running on battery I notice I get only 1.5ghz, understandable due to power savings but I though it may be worth noting. Again linux still turbos on battery.

I have no idea what to try next, I may have to reinstall windows....