Best Tablet PC?

Guest bifnewman

Guest bifnewman

Anyone know of a good convertible tablet PC? I am looking for something with very long battery life, decent performance (not atom based), and multi-touch support. The Lenovo Thinkpad X220T comes to mind. Can anyone find anything else? Preferably wacom based. Thanks.

I have X200T and love it. I don't care about (and don't have) multitouch even though I wouldn't mind an IPS instead of a PVA screen. But I can live without it. :) Also maybe take a look at Dell Latitude XT2 and HP Elitebook 2740p. I used the older version of Dell Latitude tablet and to me it looked pretty good (but wouldn't get it over Thinkpad). Latitude also comes with slice battery for extra long pleasure. lol...

I think these 3 series (Lenovo Thinkpad, Dell Latitude and HP Elitebook) are probably top business-class laptops (build quality, reliability etc.). AFAIK X220 series is kickass, with IPS, USB3.0, GorillaGlass and similar fancy things. I like Thinkpad for one thing -- the keyboard is simply the best of the best.

Edited by unreal25

Guest bifnewman

I don't see the Gorilla Glass as an option for the X220T anymore? I'll look at the Dell Latitude XT2 and the HP EliteBook.

Guest bifnewman

Also, does anyone have any experience loading OS X on the X220T/X200T? If I get a tablet, I would probably run some combination of the following OS's on it: Windows 7 Professional, Ubuntu Studio (appears to be the only distro that features wacom digitizer support) and Mac OS X Snow Leopard. The Thinkpads definitely look like the best choice. I am looking at getting the Thinkpad from eBay. Any thoughts from this one: NEW Lenovo Thinkpad x220Tablet MultiTouch 128GB SSD IPS | eBay

Well I know there exist such model (X200T IPS+multitouch). :) I think CPU is the same as mine. I don't do any heavy photoshoping (basically I process the images from the camera and thats that) but I found the CPU sufficient for pretty much anything I wanted to do on the laptop. Depends what you do. I used it to analyze the data from my experiments basically ImageJ image processing and automated particle tracking, I type text, watch movies, and surf the internet.

On the other hand, the battery life certainly isn't 13hours (unless the computer is in standby :) ).

• Founder
What kind of functionality does it provide? Anything useful?

Think about it as a multi-touch gesture touchpad like synaptics or the one used on Macs, you can zoom-in or zoom-out using two fingers instead of clicking on the icon that allows you to do the same thing. In my opinion it is useful cause it saves you time and since you don't have a mouse it is a good thing to have.

Guest bifnewman
Well I know there exist such model (X200T IPS+multitouch). :) I think CPU is the same as mine. I don't do any heavy photoshoping (basically I process the images from the camera and thats that) but I found the CPU sufficient for pretty much anything I wanted to do on the laptop. Depends what you do. I used it to analyze the data from my experiments basically ImageJ image processing and automated particle tracking, I type text, watch movies, and surf the internet.

On the other hand, the battery life certainly isn't 13hours (unless the computer is in standby :) ).

Can I expect good battery life? I'm assuming the slice battery will double what the 6-cell gives.

• 1 year later...

I realize this is an old thread but I figure someone could use my opinion..I have an 32gb ASUS TF101 with the additional keyboard that houses an extra battery and a trackpad. Its quick and runs android ice cream sandwich. overall I am pleased. I have had a couple issues that required reboots but I have since learned that if anything weird happens a re boot fixes the issue. Its not as high resolution as ipad w/ retina display but 1280x800 is still quite good. I use it for e books at school as well as taking notes. I like having multi touch screne too. I am coming from a first gen ipad and it is one heck of a jump. my only issue is landscape mode is just a bit too wide to type two handed.