[GUIDE] Making a molex-to-barrel adapter

jacobsson

On 2/20/2016 at 5:15 PM, Dschijn said:

Looks good to me :D

Thanks for the feedback! It worked great, first try! :frantics: 

So I can recommend this setup to anyone looking to use this cable and screw terminal. Just look at the pictures above for details.

The only advice I can give is:
Check if yellow from the Molex plug is connected to the inner part of the barrel and black to the outer part.

Also cross check that is NOT the other way around, e.g. yellow on the outer part.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello there! I want to use Akitio own power source plug in my 2 splitters setup. So I just cut it off and I am about to solder it. I just want to confirm that this is the way it should be. I'll try to burrow a friend's multimeter in order to double check that, too. Also, I've seen that its better to use 2 or even 3 cables (yellow/black each) but the last bit of the cable would be this simple one, since the plug is attached to it... Does this represent a problem? I guess I should cut the wire shorter...

Thank you very much!

IMG_0309.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi people, just made this. The molex cable came with my old graphic card, don't know what the brown wires are. I suppose they are just another ground, can you confirm? 

Two yellows in the positive (+), two blacks in negative (-)

And there is an "E" attached to one of the yellows

IMG_2016-04-16 12:58:04.jpg

IMG_2016-04-16 12:55:50.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi I've just got a Silverstone 450w fully modular psu to power my Akitio external gpu case, a very nice little power source!! What I was wondering, instead of going from Molex to barrel plug, can I go from one of the ATX 4-pin 12V lines that come from the EPS 8-pin 12V connector, to a custom barrel plug? There's a schematic of the psu pin-outs in this pdf: http://www.silverstonetek.com/downloads/Manual/power/EN-ST45SF-G-Manual.pdf

The ATX 4-pin has 2x 12V yellow wires and 2x black ground wires, so I could buy an extender, cut the end off, join the two same colours and solder on the barrel plug. But would this give me the correct power to power the case?

This is the type of extender cable I was going to buy and modify as I don't want to cut up the cable that came with the psu: http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-8-Inch-ATX12V-Extension-ATXP4EXT/dp/B000O7WFHA

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2015 at 8:06 PM, Dschijn said:

@Enano Seems ok, but I would recommend to make that with two Molex plugs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Seller-Twin-Molex-Power-to-6-Pin-PCIE-PCI-E-Graphics-Card-Power-Cable-/162094829149?hash=item25bd9ace5d:g:eusAAOSwBLlVTIhy

Would buying this and taking all the wires out of the 6 pin and placing the required wires in a solderless 2.5 x 5.5mm solderless plug work? 

2 hours ago, Atom said:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Seller-Twin-Molex-Power-to-6-Pin-PCIE-PCI-E-Graphics-Card-Power-Cable-/162094829149?hash=item25bd9ace5d:g:eusAAOSwBLlVTIhy

Would buying this and taking all the wires out of the 6 pin and placing the required wires in a solderless 2.5 x 5.5mm solderless plug work? 

Yup. 2 black, 2 yellow, that's fine. Twist black and yellow cables and you're good to go.

On 7/5/2016 at 4:40 PM, Morv said:

Yup. 2 black, 2 yellow, that's fine. Twist black and yellow cables and you're good to go.

On 4/16/2016 at 1:15 PM, Dschijn said:

Seems good :)
Brown is equal to black = ground.

The pinout of the 4-pin Molex is:

yellow = 12V

black = ground

black = ground

red = 5V

Ok guys this is what it now looks like, I have glued the brown wires as I understand I do not need them? Then I twisted the two yellows together and placed them in the positive slot and i twisted the black wires together and placed them into the negative slot? Will this work for powering the akitio?

IMG_0487.JPG

3 hours ago, Atom said:

Ok guys this is what it now looks like, I have glued the brown wires as I understand I do not need them? Then I twisted the two yellows together and placed them in the positive slot and i twisted the black wires together and placed them into the negative slot? Will this work for powering the akitio?

Yup. But honestly I wouldn't twist the brown cables together and glue them, just isolate them seperately. I've simply used some duct tape once. 

@Dschijn It works for me.

42 minutes ago, Dschijn said:

Yeah, they work now :D

Brown = black = ground.

Cable looks fine.

For some reason it doesnt work. I checked the akitio box and it works with its own powersupply and i did the paperclip trick with my evga 500w power supply and the fans turned on, but the green akitio light wont turn on when i use the molex to barrel. Any idea what could be causing the problem?

Edit: am i meant to use the paperclip trick to start the psu?

EDIT 2: IT WORKS SORRY IM SUCH NOOB WITH THIS :)

Edited by Atom

@Dschijn I am having trouble with the barrel plug. I am using a similar screw-terminal barrel plug as some of the other users posted pictures from in this forum (the one with the green at the screw-terminal end). I cut apart an old video card 2 x molex to 6 pin pci adapter with 18 awg wires to supply power to the barrel, so that part should be fine. Also everything boots fine. However as soon as the load on the card is increased, for example running Unigene Heaven, after 1 or 2 seconds the Akitio cuts out and I have to reboot.

I have a 970 card and the setup runs fine using the original Akitio adapter. The Akitio adapter alone draws around 50 Watts under load. Could it be that the barrel plug can't forward 50 Watts power, or am I missing something?

Thanks for any advice!