[GUIDE] Making a molex-to-barrel adapter

jacobsson

28 minutes ago, Dschijn said:

Was the barrel plug giving you 12V on the inner part of the plug and ground on the outer?!

Definitely! I double and triple checked :S

-Edit-

After a bit of research, it looks like I might be able to fix it by replacing the capacitor... Now I have little experience with replacing capacitors and have no clue what to buy...

Edited by Squidgy

10 hours ago, Dschijn said:

What PSU did you use?

Thermaltake LT-450NL2NK

10 hours ago, Dschijn said:

And can you take a picture of the adapter you made?

IMG_20160122_105901.thumb.jpg.154f360d88

Not my best work (super messy), but heatshrink wrapped around the seperate cables inside the sleeve to make sure they dont touch....

Here's the multimeter reading

IMG_20160122_105945.thumb.jpg.1969a66b79

11 hours ago, davidexD said:

man i don't have any experience in this kind of stuff, and u are freakin me out!

Honestly would advise skipping the soldering part and just use one of the screw type adaptors. OR solder straight to the board so you can clearly see what you're doing.

I think my board is permanently damaged after a closer look. A new capacitor isn't going to fix all the damage.

I'm just hoping my GPU isn't damaged...

I've ordered a new Akitio and I can only hope that someone wants the broken unit or even just the chassis for a few bucks on ebay.

IMG_20160122_110026.jpg

Saw someone sell DA-2 220W Power Supply with  5.5 * 2.5 mm connector at the end.

Link : http://item.rakuten.co.jp/is-design/220w/ (Note the page is in Japanese, use Google Translate)

1.thumb.PNG.a227ba72c1c28ee4bf4d0401f001imgrc0065063802.thumb.jpg.334c94f0ae037b

The output is 12V 18A, is it going to work for those who is thinking of buying GPU's that only need the barrel power supply on the akitio to power on? (Exp: Galax GEFORCE GTX 750 OC SLIM 2GB)

Edit: Will it overpowered the GPU or Akitio Thunder2 since the power supply provides 220W, was thinking of getting this since I'm getting the Galax GTX750 (Even though it's not a good pick for those who want to upgrade their GPU that has 6pin/8pin power input later on, I think?)

gtx750tiocslim2gb-bigger-2.jpg

Power Specs for Galax 750 OC Slim:
Maximum Graphics Card Power (W) 55W
Minimum System Power Requirement (W) 300W
Supplementary Power Connectors N/A

The size of this GPU able you to close the Akitio Thunder2 outer cover with no problem!!!

Also less wiring needed since it only needs PSU (2 molex > barrel mod) or Dell DA-2 220W to power this thing. Idea to make the most portable eGPU with less technical works.

Thanks! :D

Edited by iddinmx
  • Thumbs Up 1

Barrel plugs with screw terminals or colored cables will make it very easy for you to see where 12V and ground has to be connected to!

I can make a picture tonight with my voltmeter how I test the plug.

Yes! Most riser cables are of poor quality and can cause stability problems due to signal degeneration!

If you must you a riser, you can try and go the "cheap" way. If it doesn't work or you want to get sth with quality in the dirst place, get a 50$ shielded riser without power and power with the barrel plug.

8 hours ago, Dschijn said:

Yes! Most riser cables are of poor quality and can cause stability problems due to signal degeneration!

If you must you a riser, you can try and go the "cheap" way. If it doesn't work or you want to get sth with quality in the dirst place, get a 50$ shielded riser without power and power with the barrel plug.

Any link for the raiser? Thanks for the help bro

On 1/20/2016 at 3:52 PM, davidexD said:

@Enano are you still running the akitio with one molex barrel? i'm thinking of use one molex barrel too, because i don't want to buy another cable, and currently i have a plenty of one molex's cable damn it.

ps: what are the risks of using one molex ?

The risk was explained already by @Dschijn, but no I'm no longer running it with just 1. Got a better barrel plug that fits perfectly and decided to supply more power to my GPU since it's a pretty power hungry card.

@Squidgy If you are gonna sell it, I know some1 that was interested on getting a case, so you both might be able to scratch the others back a little bit @Kr4nG would be the one.

P.S. Sorry for the late response, was on a little vacation.

Edited by Enano
Added last 2 mentions to avoid secondary post
  • Thumbs Up 1

1. Your card doesn't need 700W, that are the power specs for a whole PC system!

2. The card will not use more than 90W on the barrel plug since it is limited to draw max. 75W from the PCIe slot.

3. All the other power comes from the PCIe power plugs (6/8-Pin)

The plug I linked will only help if your plug isn't sitting tight in the plug. Are you using one or two molex conenctions to feed the barrel plug?

@Dschijn reading through this thread I think i might need the 2 x molex mod. I ran a Heavenly benchmark and the fan on the GPU really picked up during the end of it. Right after it finished the computer cut off with a kernel error. That could mean the Akitio isn't getting suffient power from my setup under heavy use correct?

Think this'll do it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381122883263?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-5-5X2-5mm-CCTV-Video-DC-Power-Plug-Terminals-Connector-Adapter-Power-99-Good/171633620159?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D1b2eb55e69f2483eb8964c2c9c56a883%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D321110117729

Edited by kblack21