Lenovo Y510p suddenly powers off

tentacle

Hello! I have an Y510p for around a year now and I have a really strange problem with it. I thought I'll ask if somebody else met this problem or not or if someone has any idea what could be wrong.

I mainly use my laptop with the power chord plugged in and once in every 1-2 months it just suddenly powers off completely without any warning. After that I can turn it back on right away but the battery is completely discharged and it starts to charge up from 0%. One time this happened it didn't start to charge back, but after a few reboots that problem went away.

I use Kubuntu linux and I didn't manage to notice any kind of pattern in these shutdowns. I have power management enabled and I get no warning about low batteries but I don't know, that might be just the fault of the power management software...

So yeah, probably this is not enough info but I thought maybe someone already met something similar.

My only idea for collecting some more info is to write a small script which outputs battery stats to a file in every 10m or so... Maybe that could at least tell me if this discharge happens slowly in a "normal way" somehow, but I can't replicate the issue and it might take a while until I get some results.

What are the hardware parts which could cause such an issue other than the batteries? I'm not really familiar with hardware stuff, so I don't know how this whole battery control thing works :)

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Hello! I have an Y510p for around a year now and I have a really strange problem with it. I thought I'll ask if somebody else met this problem or not or if someone has any idea what could be wrong.

I mainly use my laptop with the power chord plugged in and once in every 1-2 months it just suddenly powers off completely without any warning. After that I can turn it back on right away but the battery is completely discharged and it starts to charge up from 0%. One time this happened it didn't start to charge back, but after a few reboots that problem went away.

I use Kubuntu linux and I didn't manage to notice any kind of pattern in these shutdowns. I have power management enabled and I get no warning about low batteries but I don't know, that might be just the fault of the power management software...

So yeah, probably this is not enough info but I thought maybe someone already met something similar.

My only idea for collecting some more info is to write a small script which outputs battery stats to a file in every 10m or so... Maybe that could at least tell me if this discharge happens slowly in a "normal way" somehow, but I can't replicate the issue and it might take a while until I get some results.

What are the hardware parts which could cause such an issue other than the batteries? I'm not really familiar with hardware stuff, so I don't know how this whole battery control thing works :)

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Not that this helps, but I have had that issue with my y510p for ages, along with my MacBook air, I thought it was just my luck. Glad to hear someone else has these issues...

Do you have SLI(would it be enabled at the time of these failures?)?

I think that could be problem with power supply. It would be useful if you can get a log of plug-in of your power supply.

Thank you, I guess I'll just setup a script which runs periodically, calls upower and saves the results into a file with timestamps.

- - - Updated - - -

Not that this helps, but I have had that issue with my y510p for ages, along with my MacBook air, I thought it was just my luck. Glad to hear someone else has these issues...

Do you have SLI(would it be enabled at the time of these failures?)?

Hah so I'm not alone with this :) I have a second video card in my UltraBay, but it's not enabled. I'm using linux and the nvidia linux driver doesn't support SLI for mobile GPUs :S

I hope not :S How sure are you, do you have experience with this stuff? For now I have set this up in my crontab to collect some info. I'll take a look at it when this thing happens again:

*/10 * * * * date >> /home/tentacle/battery.log && upower -i /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT1 >> /home/tentacle/battery.log

i had also some charging trouble with my alienware m17x.

first time it only turn off and i can plug in the charger again and it was charging. 4 week later same happend but i had to turn off overnight, next day no problem. 4 weeks later notebook smell little burned, and next day it turned off forever.

so i send it for repair and they replaced mainboard, damaged mainboards are very expensive !

if you have guarantee send it to repair.

not a linux user but try removing the extra video card from the slot and trying?

The problem is that this happens quite rare, like once in every 1-2 months. Thanks for the tip, maybe I'll try it sometime but I'm not sure how to know if this solved the problem or not :) This would mean I'd need to keep my 2nd video card removed for at least 3-4 months and that doesn't sound ok. Sometimes I use windows for playing games and then I need it, actually in linux the 2nd video card isn't even used, since the linux nvidia driver doesn't support SLI. But thanks anyway!

- - - Updated - - -

i had also some charging trouble with my alienware m17x.

first time it only turn off and i can plug in the charger again and it was charging. 4 week later same happend but i had to turn off overnight, next day no problem. 4 weeks later notebook smell little burned, and next day it turned off forever.

so i send it for repair and they replaced mainboard, damaged mainboards are very expensive !

if you have guarantee send it to repair.

Thank you for sharing your experiences! Luckily mine hasn't smelled burnt yet :-O

Sadly my guarantee just expired not so long ago. I was a little bit an idiot that I didn't sent it to a service but it would have been really problematic to do so :S I use my computer for work every day and I don't have another one, even if I had, it would have been quite time consuming to setup everything I need. But yeah, if this one totally goes bust, I might find myself in pretty much the same situation and that might also catch me unprepared, so I probably didn't do the right thing :D

- - - Updated - - -

do you use a 170W adapter?

i had a similar issue with my stock adapter after i got an ultrabay card

Yes, I use a stock 170W adapter. Hm really? Did you switch it to another one? If you did, what exactly do you use now and did your problem go away?

Yes, I use a stock 170W adapter. Hm really? Did you switch it to another one? If you did, what exactly do you use now and did your problem go away?

Sorry, I wasn't clear..

I had the lenovo version that had the weaker adapter,

I got the 170w original lenovo one and it fixed it..

Sorry, I wasn't clear..

I had the lenovo version that had the weaker adapter,

I got the 170w original lenovo one and it fixed it..

Ah right, I see :) Yeah, I bought mine with an extra nvidia card already installed, so I got the 170W adapter. Thanks anyway!