GTX 9xxM overclocking thread

chap

Just ordered a Eurocom X8. Would you all recommend me to flash Perma's VBIOS straight away?

After you have verified that there is nothing wrong, yes. There have been QA issues popping up. Make sure the system is performing without issues before you flash mods and of course make sure you back up your stock vbios.

After you have verified that there is nothing wrong, yes. There have been QA issues popping up. Make sure the system is performing without issues before you flash mods and of course make sure you back up your stock vbios.

QA problems with Eurocom...? gulp!

Advice noted. Thanks

QA problems with Eurocom...? gulp!

Advice noted. Thanks

Not Eurocom specifically, there have been issues with the new nVidia cards. Happens with any new video card but you want to test it before you push them with a vbios mod. The biggest issue seems to be coil whine but there are at least three cases I know of where the cards are running much hotter than they should. I happen to have a pair myself.

Not Eurocom specifically, there have been issues with the new nVidia cards. Happens with any new video card but you want to test it before you push them with a vbios mod. The biggest issue seems to be coil whine but there are at least three cases I know of where the cards are running much hotter than they should. I happen to have a pair myself.

Understood. I'll probably take the weekend then to play some games and check on whine and temps. Fingers crossed

no issue for mine although it runs quite hot under BF4, roughly 85deg after more than 10 minutes... but perf is here and no throttling.

About your temperature topic dear prema, I will not help you but I can bring some concerns other than overclocking one.

I have been working in smartphone SOC since 8 years now, especially in power and was into the deep when going 1Ghz, 45 to 28 nm, and we have alsways struggle between speed and thermal question.

Generated power are dynamic and static type, dynamic means transistor switching power (so increasing with F*V^2), and static means leakage, increasing with V^4 and temperature.

At the time I was working on early 28nm, around 90 degree C, the generated static power could be more than dynamic depending on chip quality and size, and this must be dissipated otherwise it could by itself lead to thermal runaway. I bet that this was a concern at the beginning of 28nm and now the process has been improved. I was also working on different package and size than our preferred video accelerator. Then the thermal policy inside vbios is supposed to detect quick increase of temperature and should be able to shut voltage down to prevent thermal runaway, otherwise it leads to destruction.

On the 980m, I saw a very thin package (we can barely see the transistor over it :) and we just place a not-so-massive radiator and heat pipes...

At the end, it is just a matter of how deep the user will use its game card... what kind of game it will use.. how much juice it will get from it.

-benchmarker will always get the maximum, whatever the temperature. For them, a Fn+1 exists, thanks!

-BF4 and other very demanding game will tolerate noise, but for portability reason, they could play in rooms where 45 to 50db is too much for others, so for them it would be better to have a high speed (may be 2/3 - this is arbitrary) as soon as possible so that to reach the lowest end temperature and avoid reaching loud fan speed. Let's admit end temperature 80 degree +-2. For them we should trigger high speed fan very soon (50 degree?)...

-less demanding game will have a lower end temperature (65 to 75 deg), so will make less noise. For them, a more progressive and regulating temperature could be sufficient, such as letting the chip getting warm, because even at max freq and max voltage, it will not use 100 performance and will not generate too much power. Then the warmer the chip is, the more power it will dissipate (at 90degree, a radiator dissipate more power than at 40)... For them you can set a moderately high fan speed until it reaches 90deg.. and go higher until end temperature is found.

-again less demanding game (pacman, tetris) could be run on integrated video :D.

I just let my fingers type, this could be no sense at all for you, but in case it could help... From my point of view, it should be a per-game thermal design - which is probably the case of standard driver...

no issue for mine although it runs quite hot under BF4, roughly 85deg after more than 10 minutes... but perf is here and no throttling.

About your temperature topic dear prema, I will not help you but I can bring some concerns other than overclocking one.

I have been working in smartphone SOC since 8 years now, especially in power and was into the deep when going 1Ghz, 45 to 28 nm, and we have alsways struggle between speed and thermal question.

Generated power are dynamic and static type, dynamic means transistor switching power (so increasing with F*V^2), and static means leakage, increasing with V^4 and temperature.

At the time I was working on early 28nm, around 90 degree C, the generated static power could be more than dynamic depending on chip quality and size, and this must be dissipated otherwise it could by itself lead to thermal runaway. I bet that this was a concern at the beginning of 28nm and now the process has been improved. I was also working on different package and size than our preferred video accelerator. Then the thermal policy inside vbios is supposed to detect quick increase of temperature and should be able to shut voltage down to prevent thermal runaway, otherwise it leads to destruction.

On the 980m, I saw a very thin package (we can barely see the transistor over it :) and we just place a not-so-massive radiator and heat pipes...

At the end, it is just a matter of how deep the user will use its game card... what kind of game it will use.. how much juice it will get from it.

-benchmarker will always get the maximum, whatever the temperature. For them, a Fn+1 exists, thanks!

-BF4 and other very demanding game will tolerate noise, but for portability reason, they could play in rooms where 45 to 50db is too much for others, so for them it would be better to have a high speed (may be 2/3 - this is arbitrary) as soon as possible so that to reach the lowest end temperature and avoid reaching loud fan speed. Let's admit end temperature 80 degree +-2. For them we should trigger high speed fan very soon (50 degree?)...

-less demanding game will have a lower end temperature (65 to 75 deg), so will make less noise. For them, a more progressive and regulating temperature could be sufficient, such as letting the chip getting warm, because even at max freq and max voltage, it will not use 100 performance and will not generate too much power. Then the warmer the chip is, the more power it will dissipate (at 90degree, a radiator dissipate more power than at 40)... For them you can set a moderately high fan speed until it reaches 90deg.. and go higher until end temperature is found.

-again less demanding game (pacman, tetris) could be run on integrated video :D.

I just let my fingers type, this could be no sense at all for you, but in case it could help... From my point of view, it should be a per-game thermal design - which is probably the case of standard driver...

The issue with the mod being adjusted is because Clevo changed the fan tables in the system BIOS. Fans used to kick in at 87C, they now kick in at 90C so people were throttling at the 87C mark when the fans didn't kick up. Clevo's fan management leaves a lot to be desired. Max fans is obnoxious. I read 67db coming from my P377SM-A with max fans. Best behavior for me is auto fans which top at 52db (still loud by any standard) but the chip throttles before auto fans can kick up. No idea why Clevo has done this...

Well, we are testing a Mod with a throttle point @92c since about a week and its looking good so far on multiple systems.

For example EMs turn fan on full @ 89c, ZM systems already @ 86c, but in any way 87c limit doesn't make proper use of automatic FAN curve on any of them...

(92c limit means that after 91c are breached the system will throttle clocks as well as voltage)

NVIDIA's Maxwell default system shutdown target (via system EC controller) is 94c sustained for more than 30s, so we can't go any higher (as some user suggested).

EDIT: New Mod is up:

http://forum.techinferno.com/clevo/3119-%5Bbios-vbios-mods%5D-prema-mod-stock-269.html#post129258

• 3 weeks later...

is there no vbious for the g751 yet ? i would be eternally humble. i get good temps and gta aint playing the best on here the 10% oc helps but a modest 20% would push it past 60fps i think i get about 52fps stock

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
is there no vbious for the g751 yet ? i would be eternally humble. i get good temps and gta aint playing the best on here the 10% oc helps but a modest 20% would push it past 60fps i think i get about 52fps stock

I am told this is the BIOS you are looking for! Let me know how it works for you. I found it on this site but have not been able to download it because I do not have 5 posts yet. I am eager to overclock my G751JY as well!

Hey guys,

I just received a notification about latets nvidia driver. Is it safe to install on our 980m? Or do we need to wait for a modded driver?

just bought the witcher3 and would like to get some good perfs on it...:chuncky:

• 2 weeks later...

I can't overclock my 980M more than 150mhz. It doesn't matter te extra-voltaje I put. I tried the maximum with 1.200 but not luck either. The temps seems good below 87°C and I leave the Ram speed to stock to check the core overclock.

Is it normal?

• 2 weeks later...

no its not "normal" but as always there r gpus that oc good others not, seems u got a non oc gpu :/

das any1 here have the 980m in the clevo 170EM and problems with an active GPU? eg. optimus not working

you can, but you will need a modded inf file. I'm on driver v353.00 and no problem found. OC is enabled, at least with custom vbios.

Sorry, in response to this message:

"Hey guys,

I just received a notification about latets nvidia driver. Is it safe to install on our 980m? Or do we need to wait for a modded driver?

just bought the witcher3 and would like to get some good perfs on it..."

What do you mean with "you will need a modded inf file"? You are saying that with Prema VBIOS, Nvidia drivers won't work as-is? Sorry but I'm a bit concerned

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late answer, i was AFK.

If you have only the last vbios from Prema, and not the bios V3 (bios for the laptop, which only comes with purchase in Prema's partners shop), yes you will need a modded inf file in order to install the driver. This concern the P-em serie.

• 4 months later...

Has anyone ever physically measured the 980m memory voltage? I think thus far everyone was assuming that it's 1.5V, but the Hynix chips on my 4GB MSI are rated for 6ghz at 1.5V, and 5ghz at 1.35V.

A reduced voltage would explain why 980m memory tends to clock poorer than 780m and 880m memory, despite desktop maxwell cards clocking memory higher than their older kepler counterparts.

If no one has checked, I will sometime this weekend. If it is 1.35V you can expect 1.5V+ results from me by Sunday night.