GTX 9xxM overclocking thread

chap

make sure to uninstall ur current driver first using display driver uninstaller (DDU) in safe mode. then reboot with driver signature enforcement disabled in win8/8.1 (google is ur friend) before installing mr. fox 344.75 driver.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Had some time today to play. So good news is the new vBIOS OC lock can be modded away with:

Unannounced GPU - Stock:

post-1023-14494999587935_thumb.jpg

Unannounced GPU - "de-clock-blocked" vBIOS Mod:

post-1023-14494999587612_thumb.jpg

;)

Had some time today to play. So good news is the new vBIOS OC lock can be modded away with:

Unannounced GPU - Stock:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14262[/ATTACH]

Unannounced GPU - "de-clock-blocked" vBIOS Mod:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14261[/ATTACH]

;)

Next Notebooks is from one of your partner shops!

Best regards

phila

Just tried some experiments on the 345.20 drivers.

With a small overclock : (+70mhz)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor,EUROCOM Neptune 2.0

With defaults clocks:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor,EUROCOM Neptune 2.0

It's still curious that with updated vbios and bios, I can overclock but got the famous 20% penalty. Performance on 3Dmark are almost the same on 3Dmark. I have better results on 347.12 on Tomb raider (73 vs 71).

Actually the performance limitation is not showing at the beginning, framerate looks ok, but after maybe 10 to 15s, framerate droppes significantly and restart after probably 15s - I've seen this on firestorm. This is looking like driver limitation when it detects overclocking...

Just tried some experiments on the 345.20 drivers.

With a small overclock : (+70mhz)

With defaults clocks:

It's still curious that with updated vbios and bios, I can overclock but got the famous 20% penalty. Performance on 3Dmark are almost the same on 3Dmark. I have better results on 347.12 on Tomb raider (73 vs 71).

Actually the performance limitation is not showing at the beginning, framerate looks ok, but after maybe 10 to 15s, framerate droppes significantly and restart after probably 15s - I've seen this on firestorm. This is looking like driver limitation when it detects overclocking...

Your stock run looks good.

For the OC, check your temps. Once they reach 87c the card will throttle...

yeah, for benchmarking use the prema bios, so you can put the fans on full rpm mode and maybe even use a coold room with cold air in it due to get the max clocks.

also letting the cover open can help. remember to let some time between the runs so the system cools down.

also important is when the benchmark crashed due to unstable oc, reboot. with my 7970m is had to reboot twice or even 3 times to get the driver in the normal mode again...could be a amd problem nevertheless i use the same procedure now for nv

I was able to get a +450mhz boost on the GPU clock, and a +500mhz boost on the memory clock at 1.2v using a Prema Modded BIOS on my Sager NP8651 with GTX970m. I am pretty happy with those numbers, and it is a 10-15fps increase in the games that I have played so far (Crysis 2, Crysis 3, and BF4 online). It brings it about equal with a stock clocked GTX980M.

I have problem with unstble clock badly with Prema mod vbios for 980M. Also carddraw the power up and down drastically compare to stock bios. Once I OC even just a slightly one, benchmark FPS swing up and down badly and end up with low score eventually. Any body experience like mine? I am using 330W Dell mod..

Yes, I've mod it already.... Notice even without overclock also fluctuating...very hard to know if can reach its potential...I OC like clock +60-80 and Mem +200-400 only...

Judging from the erratic behavior you describe, maybe the GPU upgrade made your Clevo thinks it was reincarnated as an Alienware. That sounds like how my Alienware M18xR2 acted a lot of the time with 980M (single or SLI). Overclocking and/or using a modded vBIOSmade it a bunch worse than running stock clocks using a stock vBIOS.

330w is enormous. At max with some overclock, the 980m will get 120w, 130, the cpu can take 50 to 60w; and maybe 30w for the system (which is exagerated...), we are still under the brick specification.

I would say that the power may not come to the 980m, which could be related to the power routing of the motherboard. Or you have thermal issue such like wrong contact of the graphic chip, the temperature goes rapidly high and clock are quickly cut... like a very fast hysteresis.

overclocking - higher fps rate

at stock ur screen will most likely run at 60hz refresh rate so u wont notice anything above 60 fps. if ur fps go above that, try and overclock ur display refresh rate to adjust for the higher frame rates and thus get a smoother experience :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk