[Mod] [WIP] Touchscreen 18.4 off XPS 18

enantiopure

Just ordered a low tier used i3 XPS 1810 $400.00

Excessive price to pay for touchscreen capability for an M18x R2. But hey, I need the functional motherboard to voltmeter where/which lead is which to solder up to an USB port, particularly off the daughter card. Ill blow dryer off the edge to edge glare screen and do my best to mate up the digitizer from the XPS system. Ill have to find away to mount the digitizer board as well as running a few short wires to complete the internal USB connection. I have analyzed the driver packages, and it makes several calls through USB, so even if the lid doesnt close and it looks like a Frankenstein project, Im sure it'll work.

Wish me luck. But hey, even if doesn't work, Ill just gift a used XPS away...

• 2 weeks later...
Hi enantiopure,

Hows your project going. Would love an update with how its going etc.

Best regards,

Dave.

I made a complete mess of solder over the XPS 18' controller board for the USB lines... The wiring from the m18x daughter cards' USB ports are good. I have resently reordered another touchscreen controller card... The pins I am shooting for are simply sooooo small.