newbie needs help!! i7 4810mq overclock

zakinsbir

Hi all, im all new to this stuff so need help of a experienced users. I want to overclock my i74810mq to 4.1ghz i have a gt70 2pc dominator laptop, i have a xtu soft installed but after seeing all these noobs and numbers to be adjusted i got all confused with it, is there any one that has overclocked this CPU?? What should i change in order to achive 4.1ghz??

Hi all, im all new to this stuff so need help of a experienced users. I want to overclock my i74810mq to 4.1ghz i have a gt70 2pc dominator laptop, i have a xtu soft installed but after seeing all these noobs and numbers to be adjusted i got all confused with it, is there any one that has overclocked this CPU?? What should i change in order to achive 4.1ghz??
What should i change in order to achive 4.1ghz??

Processor.

You cannot OC this processor. You need extreme edition to be able to do it. the one that ends with XM not QM

Are you sure?? Why is that?? Enyone else??

Yes I am.

And the reason why, is money. Why would they sell XM version for tripple the price if we could OC cheaper CPU?

M and QM versions have locked multipliers. XM is unlocked.

By that, I mean it can run its maximum turbo frequency on all 4 cores at the same time.

QM can run lets say 4GHz on one core, if two cores are loaded, it runs 3.8GHz. if 3-4 cores are loaded, it runs 3.5GHz.

Learn more about intel core i Turbo boost.

XM versions are unlocked, able to run max frequency an all 4 cores at the same time.

However, you cannot OC it 4.1GHz if its max frequency is 4GHz

This is not possible. Its how the CPU is designed. There is no north bridge on the motehrboard to increase FSB frequency. FSB is built in to CPU and CPU decides what frequency it needs to run at.

There is no north bridge on the motehrboard to increase FSB frequency. FSB is built in to CPU and CPU decides what frequency it needs to run at.

Is overclocking possible with raising the BCLK? Or is this also impossible with this CPU?

Is overclocking possible with raising the BCLK? Or is this also impossible with this CPU?

In theory, yes.

You need unlocked bios for that.

However, this will also increase RAM frequency, etc. basically everything.

Also, you can increase it by roughly 4-5Mhz no more! I might be wrong though.

This is a bit risky as far as I know. Never tried it, isnt worth the effort for me. CPU should survive without any problem, it's the motherboard that you put in risk here...

You can NOT get it anywhere near 4GHz... and whats the point of OCing for 200Mhz ?

It has additional turbo bins which allows you to overclock it to 4.2Ghz, you'll need to increase Turbo boost power time window, turbo boost short power max, turbo power max etc.

Although it's TDP is only 47W so I'm not sure it will run at 4.2.

• 7 years later...

Theoretically for lq cpu 4810MQ you can overclock up to:

42x for the first core
41x for the second core
40x for the third core
40x for the fourth core

Beyond you can not go because the multipliers are locked by the factory.

However, using the CPU at 4ghz for all 4 cores on a notebook such as the GT70 from MSI involves the overcoming of two limitations

1) The temperature that reaches over 90 degrees under stress and involves a reduction of the clock.
2) Limit on power consumption (TDP) which should have a peak of 65-70w for a few seconds and then stabilize around 47w.

If you exceed the temperature limit or the TPD limit any overclock you set will be cut in performance.

Who wants to improve the performance of this cpu must work on optimization.

You have to find the right compromise by setting a "clock" speed that does not make the temperatures rise above 90 degrees and that does not exceed the limitations imposed by the TDP (Thermal Design Power).

You can download the program THROTTLESTOP that at the moment has arrived at version 9.4.

For this you can also act on the voltage trying to favor a slight undervolt of the cpu.

4810mq-throttlestop02.png4810mq-throttlestop01.png

This is the configuration of a gt70 that I have.

I am using the frequency of 3.4ghz for 4 cores. The temperature under stress is 95 degrees.
TDP comes in at 45w

I have done a voltage drop of -80.1 mV

This is the maximum configuration I was able to achieve with my notebook that can run 24 hours without going into THROTTLING.