Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

Hey, 680M is still an awesome mobile GPU... better than almost everything else. 680M > 780M > 980M... your GPU would be the envy of millions.

I didn't count 880M because it's defective and worthless.

Haha. Word!!!

If worse case scenario 980M does not work on our beloved AW, I pray that Batman Arkham Knight or GTA V will play max settings 60FPS 1080p on my lovely dual 780m SLI.

All right. I spoke to HIDevolution and kudos for them for doing this. This is what they are telling me.

"our team is working on creating a compatible vbios so that alienwares will recognize the 900m series cards"

"we hope to get this done by next week"

All right. I spoke to HIDevolution and kudos for them for doing this. This is what they are telling me.

"our team is working on creating a compatible vbios so that alienwares will recognize the 900m series cards"

"we hope to get this done by next week"

"

New message from: upgradeyourlaptop (1317Red Star)

17 is Optimus based

GTX 980M doesn't support 3D internal display, but LCD works in 120Hz mode"

I guess I'll order it *shrug*

@godfafa

Would you mind asking your friend what's the vbios compatible for MSI? would help me very much thanks.

As I know 84.04.22.00.0A is the vbios for MSI

- - - Updated - - -

[MENTION=119]Mr. Fox[/MENTION] @J95

Yes I have reached Prema and svl7.

Prema helped me alot but not with successful results yet.

And I think svl7 is busy.

• Thumbs Up 1

As I know 84.04.22.00.0A is the vbios for MSI

- - - Updated - - -

[MENTION=119]Mr. Fox[/MENTION] @J95

Yes I have reached Prema and svl7.

Prema helped me alot but not with successful results yet.

And I think svl7 is busy.

Not you godfafa, but eurocom itself. Your effort is much appreciated here.

Sold both 680m's, baught a 980m from upgradeyournotebook... As per ebay ad, states functionality w/ m18x r2. Keeping finger crossed. Otherwise, Ill return it. Wish me luck. Ill write back as to success or not.

When will you get it?

Sold both 680m's, baught a 980m from upgradeyournotebook... As per ebay ad, states functionality w/ m18x r2. Keeping finger crossed. Otherwise, Ill return it. Wish me luck. Ill write back as to success or not.

You can you 980m with optimus. But not without nor sli.

You can you 980m with optimus. But not without nor sli.

I should write them and request a cancel/stop/refund. I just now ordered them. I fear that later vbios revisions may not call for 100% support with my m18x R2. I don't want to run this under a persistent power savings mode with Optimus.

Suggestions?

I should write them and request a cancel/stop/refund. I just now ordered them. I fear that later vbios revisions may not call for 100% support with my m18x R2. I don't want to run this under a persistent power savings mode with Optimus.

Suggestions?

I suggest you request cancel, if impossible then use it with optimus till mod-vbios.

How many 980m you got?

Just the one ordered tonight. If he sends it post reading my cancel/refund request. Ill run/install the card and see if it benchmarks consistently w/ other laptop manufacturers. I have a low grade SLI capable video card, Ill futher enable SLI with a mix matched set to see if it will connect. If not, Ill request a return as per my earlier plan.

Just the one ordered tonight. If he sends it post reading my cancel/refund request. Ill run/install the card and see if it benchmarks consistently w/ other laptop manufacturers. I have a low grade SLI capable video card, Ill futher enable SLI with a mix matched set to see if it will connect. If not, Ill request a return as per my earlier plan.

Your laptop is an Alienware or other brand?

can anyone tell me please if m18x r1 supports optimus? thanks!
Thankfully, no... it does not. Neither does the M18xR2, thank God.

- - - Updated - - -

Does this mean that only M17 works with 980/970m gpu's for the moment?
Perhaps. If that's the case, we just have to be patient and wait for a working vBIOS from a third-party that cares enough to help or wants to make money on Alienware's failure to act. However, Eurocom told me they would not begin shipping any 980M purchased for an SLI Alienware machine until they have a working vBIOS. So, chances are they will send your order later on unless they have received a working vBIOS in last day or so. If and when you get it and find that it works, please dump the vBIOS with GPU-Z and send it to @Prema, @johnksss and @svl7 for examination and possibly modding to unlock everything that isn't already unlocked.

- - - Updated - - -

The next gpu upgrade, Dell should be firsr priority
I don't disagree, but playing Devil's Advocate for a minute... why should they give it first priority if Alienware did not think it mattered enough to give it any priority? They really put out for their desktop customers and console jockeys this go 'round. Apparently, we did not make it on their list of customers that matter.

Ouch!!!! Sometimes the truth really smarts. I suspect we may be on our own from here on out. They are simply too busy making gimmicky children's play toys with BGA-mounted processors and attempting to make up for their mistakes with an eGPU to be bothered with a quest for anything truly awesome.

@Paolo11 - If you had said otherwise, I think we may have needed to jack-slap you.

It appears that the sewers are backed up everywhere... seems like that's what almost all of the OEMs are going to now. But, those "gaming Ultrabooks" might come in handy if Obama issues an Executive Order outlawing toilet paper because of its adverse environmental impact... gotta have something to wipe with. Another plus, they can do double-duty as a windshield ice scraper or a room heater in the winter months.

@Paolo11 - If you had said otherwise, I think we may have needed to jack-slap you.

It appears that the sewers are backed up everywhere... seems like that's what almost all of the OEMs are going to now. But, those "gaming Ultrabooks" might come in handy if Obama issues an Executive Order outlawing toilet paper because of it's adverse environmental impact... gotta have something to wipe with. Another plus, they can double as a windshield ice scraper in the winter.

Haha, indeed.

If they make all BGA CPU, Dell must make Alienware 18 should support future GPUs for long years

There are reasons for me to think there is a primary/secondary vbios.

Believe as much as you want, several people here already told you that this is not the case.

I was communicating with one of the Clevo resellers today (who is also an Alienware reseller) that is offering 980M upgrades for Alienware systems. Apparently, there is something with the Clevo vBIOS that ONLY works with Optimus enabled when install in a non-Clevo machine.

Clevo resellers (especially eurocom) are talking a lot of bull when it comes to things like this. I don't believe a single word anymore I hear from eurocom. They're also the company that published a press release a while ago stating full MXM compatibility on their machines, which is not the case AT ALL.

Resellers don't get customized vbios or bios files, all they get is what Clevo provides them, they're just resellers and not manufacturers.

Haven't had a lot of time recently, but I was told that the 980m works perfectly fine in the AW17, M17x R3 and R4 but apparently not in the M18x R1. Don't take my word for it though, but I have no reason to mistrust the guy who told me this.

Might know more from first-hand experience next weekend.

• Thumbs Up 2