Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

Some chinese dude (or girl) had no issues getting GTX 980M to work on AW17.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12985[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12986[/ATTACH]

Link to many pictures (and perhaps a tutorial here)

ç›´æ’*,gtx980m上机R5_alienwareå§_百度贴å§

回å¤ï¼šç›´æ’*,gtx980m上机R5_alienwareå§_百度贴å§

This is wonderful.

Okay. Now that vbios is v10 which I flashed just to fail, and which my friend just bought from clevo and failed.

What the heck?

Can you give us more information how he did it?

- - - Updated - - -

One thing to add.

That chinese did it with optimus.

That's interesting.

Not sure if that is a Dell GTX 980M or some other OEM 980M, but it seems from the pictures that the notebook had no issues booting in to windows and posting the card

After that ge did the INF trick to modify the driver and the vbios show "1028" which is the correct Subvendor ID for Dell and he was able to install Geforce drivers to finally see the GPU as GTX 980M and not "Nvidia GFX" you see from the last screenshot on the first page.

Not sure if that is a Dell GTX 980M or some other OEM 980M, but it seems from the pictures that the notebook had no issues booting in to windows and posting the card

After that ge did the INF trick to modify the driver and the vbios show "1028" which is the correct Subvendor ID for Dell and he was able to install Geforce drivers to finally see the GPU as GTX 980M and not "Nvidia GFX" you see from the last screenshot on the first page.

yes you are right.

But under "optimus".

He cant Fn F7. That will make it not post though.

I am gonna try v10 optimus

(vbios is v10 (last number) which is clevo single vbios.)

If only optimus works, SLI & PEG only are impossible.

For me, if I have to use optimus, there is really no reason to use alienware since optimus is really annoying.

yes you are right.

But under "optimus".

For me, if I have to use optimus, there is really no reason to use alienware since optimus is really annoying.

I'm wondering if Intel have added 120hz microcode so disabling is not needed?
  • Thumbs Up 1

How does the vBIOS version number in those GPU-Z screen shots compare to the version number(s) of the vBIOSes that you have tried to use without success?

Maybe you could try contacting that person directly and have them email you their vBIOS. If that vBIOS works, Prema and svl7 could start working their magic on it in their spare time, assuming they would want to.

yes you are right.

But under "optimus".

Had another thought on this. If it is booting from the Intel then maybe just disabling the windows driver will get rid of optimus?

How does the vBIOS version number in those GPU-Z screen shots compare to the version number(s) of the vBIOSes that you have tried to use without success?

The picture is showing v10.

My stock is v12. I got v10 from prema.

I can post with optimus on. you know what i mean right?

That's how I nvflashed. Booting with intel IG and then flahsing.

I failed to install driver with v12 even with optimus on. The Chinese who succeeded used v10 with optimus on.

- - - Updated - - -

But I am sure he will not be able to use PEG only

- - - Updated - - -

which means the way that Chinese succeded can not be used for people with 3D-alienware or people who do not want to use optimus.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm wondering if Intel have added 120hz microcode so disabling is not needed?

Not sure about that.

Only meaningless when using the wrong vBIOS. This probably has a really super simple solution, but the right firmware is possibly not available anywhere yet. Using the wrong firmware will carry some behavioral problems along with it.

It would be interesting to obtain a dump of the vBIOS Eurocom is using for 980M SLI in their Panther (P570WM) and see if it is any different. It may solve the issue for Alienware compatibility. If it is not the same identical version(s) godfafa has already attempted to use, it might be a solution.

Only meaningless when using the wrong vBIOS. This probably has a really super simple solution, but the right firmware is possibly not available anywhere yet. Using the wrong firmware will carry some behavioral problems along with it.

It would be interesting to obtain a dump of the vBIOS Eurocom is using for 980M SLI in their Panther (P570WM) and see if it is any different. It may solve the issue for Alienware compatibility. If it is not the same identical version(s) godfafa has already attempted to use, it might be a solution.

Last word before I go to bed.

Yeah if that's true, I am doing some useless things.

But I am sure I have the two right clevo vbios. (v12 and v10)

It was given by clevo and prema.

And this GPU with v12 works on clevo model perfectly without optimus.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I succeeded installing NVIDIA driver with optimus on.

I will do some benches with it and take shots and post here tomorrow.

gotta go now.

- - - Updated - - -

And if time allows me, I will borrow the 980m that my friend bought and try sli on m18x R2 on weekends.

Disassebling m18x R2 is not fun :(

• Thumbs Up 3

Last word before I go to bed.

Yeah if that's true, I am doing some useless things.

But I am sure I have the two right clevo vbios. (v12 and v10)

It was given by clevo and prema.

And this GPU with v12 works on clevo model perfectly without optimus.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I succeeded installing NVIDIA driver with optimus on.

I will do some benches with it and take shots and post here tomorrow.

gotta go now.

- - - Updated - - -

And if time allows me, I will borrow the 980m that my friend bought and try sli on m18x R2 on weekends.

Disassebling m18x R2 is not fun :(

Ok, my friend. I cannot wait for your results. Rest well.

Man, I wish Mr. Fox and godfafa are neighbors so they can work magic on this. :chuncky:

Oops, making some progress here...so installing nv drivers worked under optimus. Interfering with godfafa's deserved rest..."I gotta sleep sometime. There's too much happening, why sleep, man ?" :Banane08::sleeping::hell_boy:

I was communicating with one of the Clevo resellers today (who is also an Alienware reseller) that is offering 980M upgrades for Alienware systems. Apparently, there is something with the Clevo vBIOS that ONLY works with Optimus enabled when install in a non-Clevo machine. They are trying to obtain another vBIOS from NVIDIA that will work in SLI (no Optimus) or on a machine like the M17xR4 with Optimus disabled in the BIOS. He did not get into specifics about why the Clevo vBIOS won't work on an Alienware machine without Optimus enabled, but he assures me it will work perfectly as soon as they get the no-Optimus vBIOS for non-Clevo machines. It may have something to do with difference between Alienware and Clevo implementations of Optimus that causes it to misbehave in a machine like the M18xR2/AW18 that has no Optimus support, or one like the M17xR4 with Optimus disabled in the BIOS. They should have something from NVIDIA soon if the guy is giving me accurate information. I would assume so, because they are waiting to ship Alienware 18" laptops with 980M SLI to customers and need the updated vBIOS before they can do it.

I was communicating with one of the Clevo resellers today (who is also an Alienware reseller) that is offering 980M upgrades for Alienware systems. Apparently, there is something with the Clevo vBIOS that ONLY works with Optimus enabled when install in a non-Clevo machine. They are trying to obtain another vBIOS from NVIDIA that will work in SLI (no Optimus) or on a machine like the M17xR4 with Optimus disabled in the BIOS. He did not get into specifics about why the Clevo vBIOS won't work on an Alienware machine without Optimus enabled, but he assures me it will work perfectly as soon as they get the no-Optimus vBIOS for non-Clevo machines. It may have something to do with difference between Alienware and Clevo implementations of Optimus that causes it to misbehave in a machine like the M18xR2/AW18 that has no Optimus support, or one like the M17xR4 with Optimus disabled in the BIOS. They should have something from NVIDIA soon if the guy is giving me accurate information. I would assume so, because they are waiting to ship Alienware 18" laptops with 980M SLI to customers and need the updated vBIOS before they can do it.

Very happy to hear that. Thank you!

I dont think there is much I can do now.

I really dont want to use optimus. I'd rather use cheaper machines if I had to use optimus.

The main reason I use alienware is that it is MUXed (non-optimus), it looks good, it feels good to own one(or more).

Anyway I will be waiting for the new vbios that will cure this :)

Excellent, they could try it with AW17 3D too, by unplugging the emitter cable (black) next to the eDP connector. Most people don't use 3D Vision anyway, but definitely want 120Hz. + sales argument...

I have offered to test as a no-cost favor in the Alienware M18xR1, M18xR2 and Alienware 18, and purchase a pair of 980M GPUs if it works to my satisfaction. Whether or not they take me up on the offer remains to be seen. If they are serious about selling a lot of GPU upgrades, it would make good sense for them to have multiple examples of success (or failure) to be able to sell the upgrade parts in confidence.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M

Thanks to "haru" from korean alienware foum who found another chinese success screen shot.

I have no idea whether it is optimus or not. He didn't mention.

All he mentioned was that he got it from EUROCOM.

The good thing about this screen shot is that vbios is DIFFERENT!!

84.04.22.00.0A

were vbios that I've got

This guy has 84.04.58.00.F2 (right? the screenshot is blur)

• Thumbs Up 1

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M

Thanks to "haru" from korean alienware foum who found another chinese success screen shot.

I have no idea whether it is optimus or not. He didn't mention.

All he mentioned was that he got it from EUROCOM.

The good thing about this screen shot is that vbios is DIFFERENT!!

84.04.22.00.0A

were vbios that I've got

This guy has 84.04.58.00.F2 (right? the screenshot is blur)

I Evaluation:

This value indicated performance has basically the equivalent of a mobile platform 2x GTX 680M SLI performance, with a default frequency of the first generation of desktop GTX TITAN almost the same, although the same can appear GTX 980M with GTX 880M (2304 CUDA Ver.) 1536 the number of cores, but based architecture supports Maxwell's, the improved performance does have a more substantial. Temperature, the case is equipped with ICD7 grease, runtime remained around 70 degrees, there is no need of special concern, but it also seems to imply GTX 980M While Turbo has reached 1127Mhz, but there is still a lot of headroom for overclocking.Compatibility: with Alienware 17 R5 no compatibility issues, cooling system can be the perfect support, but should be noted that, in the case of BIOS DELL not add GTX980M ID's, 3D feature will not be enabled, and each update drivers are need to add hardware ID manually. This completes the simple measure, if in doubt you can put in the Replies, but will depend on the situation to decide whether to conduct a comprehensive evaluation.

It seems good news...;)

I have offered to test as a no-cost favor in the Alienware M18xR1, M18xR2 and Alienware 18, and purchase a pair of 980M GPUs if it works to my satisfaction. Whether or not they take me up on the offer remains to be seen. If they are serious about selling a lot of GPU upgrades, it would make good sense for them to have multiple examples of success (or failure) to be able to sell the upgrade parts in confidence.

Just the proper tweaks in case primary test fails, mostly Clevo & MSI, but it looks it's not a problem anymore...:Banane35:

I think that guy is faking.

That's Wesley-Alex who was permanently banned from techinferno.

post-13289-14494998665077_thumb.jpg

If "automatically view results at 3dmark.com" is clicked then the score must be shown in the web. But it is not.

I think he is lying again.

Look at this. This is his old fake-shot of 3920xm + 680m sli 2 yrs ago.

post-13289-14494998665313_thumb.jpg