Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

I have just released the GTX980M & GTX970M vBIOS Mods for the AW18!

(click my signature, will start a more formal release thread later) >>> Update to system BIOS A12+ first <<<

Though they can be used on other AW systems as an alternative to my Clevo based Mod, it won't remedy the throttle issue that those systems experience (that's for later).

It may help with the second FAN not spinning properly on M18xR2, but I only have a single report confirming it.

As always ENJOY! :)

Thanks a lot for your hard work!!

:Banane42:

• 3 weeks later...

I finally was able to spend time and install Prema's vbios on my m17x r4/980M.

Here's my best overclock score on firestrike with default voltage (+130 core/+525 mem):

nCirFPq.png

I tried increasing voltage +37.5 mV to OC more but immediately got throttling with just the added voltage.

I'm satisfied with the performance right now. My only disappointment is having to have Azaelia disabled (no sound from speakers) to avoid throttling.

Strangely, I was able to get a Firestrike score around 8200 with no OC/stock vbios a couple months ago with Azaelia Enabled, no throttling at all. For some reason, I can't seem to avoid throttling at all with azaelia enabled anymore, even with no OC.

• 1 month later...

guys i need help badly and really fast.

so i insert the card and it game me 8 beeps so i restarted it and the display works, but when i went to my device manager i saw my m17xr4 was using the microsoft gpu instead of the gtx980m

im using a 120hz monitor with win8.1 installed as a UEFI mode GPT partition with legacy boot off + windows 8 speed start up off + secure boot off.

and when i look at the bios it said that display:Nvidia GFX

fast response is very much appreciated thanks guys

--------Edited------

tried with moded bios running the gpu on PEG mode

and i installed the drivers M17xR4_05511028_9xxM_358.50 while on my gtx680 then swapped back to gtx980m still the laptop uses the inboard gpu..

damn its driving me nuts

--edit--

got it fix thanks to those who help

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I've read a lot of conflicting posts about replacing GPU's. If I have a m17 r4 Win 7 w/ 60hz display and an unlocked A10 bios, what do I need in order to replace my current 680m to a 980m? Do I need more than to set to PEG mode? I'm sorry I'm not well versed in this stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/11/2014 at 6:24 PM, med812 said:

Hellow guys!

Also i have old dell presision m6600 who support optimus too. will be work 970m/980m at m6600? have a chance? 780m does not work on it :(

PS sorry for my language.

I am wondering if someone modified a bios/firmware to make these work too.. anyone know ?

• 1 month later...

Hallo guys

maybe someone can help me ?

I got a Alienware 18 and a MSI GTX 980M with 8G, i tried almost every vBIOS but u dont get a screen on my Alienware 18

I use Pure UEFI

Legacy deactivated

Secure Deactivated

Fast boot deactivated

pls help me :(

Hello mclovin,

i think your GTX 980M is new, right?

I'm not really familiar with the Alienware 18,  but maybe you have the same problem as me with my M17xR4.

Do you have switchable graphics on or peg only?

11 hours ago, mclovin19 said:

In alienware 18 you cant use optimus :)

you can just use Intel HD or   FN+F5 for nvidia /amd

i need the help of prema or svl7 :/

Ah ok, i did not know that.

Then you have the same Problem like me with my M17xR4.

I had to reinstall Windows with optimus on, then switch optimus off and everything was fine.

Think ist because the efi did not recognize the GTX 980M.

Sry in this case i can't help you.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I got a crazy idea that might allow one to run 3D vision on the internal laptop screen with a 980M installed and I am wondering if anyone thought of this and/or tried it.  I don't have all the things needed to try this myself but it seems like someone here should....  

It's been reported elsewhere the the 980M will output 3D Vision to an external monitor when running in an alienware laptop.   I can't say if this is true or false for certain myself, but am going to assume that the report is true when explaining my idea below.

The basic idea is how does the 980M know it is running 3D vision on an external monitor?  Has anyone tried taking a the cable used to connect to an external monitor and instead connect it back into the laptop's video in port(ie. a cable running between the laptop's displayport out to the laptop's HDMI in instead of from the laptop's displayport out to the external monitor's ports)?  If anyone's already tried that and know it doesn't work; what about faking an external screen with a procedure like the answer to this question:    
http://superuser.com/questions/62051/is-there-a-way-to-fake-a-dual-second-monitor
or more generally any other technique to accomplish external screen emulation to trick the nvidia 980M into working on the internal display?

Anyone willing to comment on this or try it?

Hi guys) Did anyone encounter Code 43 on their GTX 980M/970M in Device manager? I think my 980M in R4 is dead. I can install any kind if bios with no problem, even the drivers seems to install fine. But upon reboot right click on mouse on the desktop  doesn't show NCC and no info at GPU-Z. Checked both Win 8.1/10, PEG/SG, no luck( A11 modded bios.

Regards

• 6 months later...

Hey guys, so I have my AW M17x R4 running the 980m but my fans are not running properly CPU and GPU. I tried using HWiFNO but it is only able to control the GPU fan. Plus it is annoying to keep having to manually turn on my fan. Right now I have a house fan under my laptop as a temporary fix. Any suggestions? I'm desperate. Also, when I try to boot diagnostics I get a black screen with 8 beeps.

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2017 at 5:42 AM, EMZimm said:

Hey guys, so I have my AW M17x R4 running the 980m but my fans are not running properly CPU and GPU. I tried using HWiFNO but it is only able to control the GPU fan. Plus it is annoying to keep having to manually turn on my fan. Right now I have a house fan under my laptop as a temporary fix. Any suggestions? I'm desperate. Also, when I try to boot diagnostics I get a black screen with 8 beeps.

Sorry can't help you with the fan issue. 
Connect it to an external display and then go to diagnostics, that's how I got mine working.

• 3 years later...