Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

I've heard conflicting info on this topic - regarding the number or MOSFETS that are along the top of the card. I think there was a user @Khenglish that was saying that the cards with 2 MOSFETS had MOSFETS that were more 'advanced' and efficient somehow, therefore requiring only 2 in contrast to the previous 4 that were common. If you're willing to test them to their limits then you might be able to answer that question for yourself - by flashing one of those modified vBIOS from Prema or svl7, then overclock and see how stable & high they overclock. Sure, there's a silicon lottery between the two cards anyway, but I'd probably just keep the one that overclocks the best.

I only compared the 980m to the 970m. They're the same FET combo chips (each chip is a low-side and high-side FET in one package), just the 980m has an additional power phase, so while the 980m has less FETs, it has an extra inductor and diode. In this case though we only have 2 phases on both cards.

Now we also have a change in memory. I'm not sure what the memory on the card on the left is. The order of best GDDR5 is hynix>samsung>elpidia. Samsung is a close 2nd to hynix, while elpidia is a distant third. If the card on the left is hynix, then I'm not sure which card would be best. I personally would go with the card on the left if it is hynix, but if it's elpidia then I would go with the samsung card despite the lower FET count.

• Thumbs Up 2

Guys,

just installed 980m SLI on my m18x r2. downloaded the new NVflash on permas website and also the vbios. when I try to unzip the files it ask me for a password.... does any of u have the password?

Its right on the front-page of premamod.com ;)

I'd put my money on the left that doesn't have missing parts. They probably did a revision because the original design accidentally wasn't crippled enough.

*GPU 16385* NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3940XM,Alienware M17xR4

*PEG* Win7 - UEFI/CSM...;)

QbwOKSTh.png

- - - Updated - - -

@ALL v352.86 >TDRs< stock clocks all games & benchmarks, desktop identical issues...another hotfix soon. DDU in safe mode, reinstall v350.12. Don't update GeForce Experience to v2.4.4.24 >TDRs<, _v2.4.3.22 uncheck "beta" option.

Single & SLI, I've included v352.86 game profiles "Witcher 3: Wild Hunt" M18xR2/SLI users feedback please.

<aside>

@

J95

</aside>

Man you are awesome!

I went into safe mode DDU the old video drivers (clean and shutdown) Then shut off driver signature > GeForce 353.00 Hotfix unziped added yourINF MOD v353.00

Here are the results14989d1432359838t-353.00-mod-no-oc.png

I ran it twice, scores were 8491 and 8439. There is no throttling and I have no OC. It "seemed" to be alot smoother overall. A definite walk in the right direction!

Also I just updated my procedure I put in there I think everything you need to do to update! I read though it a few time and tried to make sure it has tips from Guru's that helped me and my lessons learned. I hope it helps somebody.

I can't wait to get my second one installed the mail need to hurry up!!!

I'd put my money on the left that doesn't have missing parts. They probably did a revision because the original design accidentally wasn't crippled enough.

haha, but it does look like the ellements are of a different brand, more is not always better maybe? :)

Did smth stupid. Going in without proper research I know :'( but please help. So finally I decided to upgrade to 980m from my current 880m on the Alienware 17 R1 (aka R5 if you like) with 120Hz 3D screen after months of contemplating. After seeing successful attempts I jumped on board and popped the card in (bought from Hidevolution). Before installing the card I used Driver sweeper to clean all drivers. BIOS is latest A14 completely unmodified and in UEFI mode, everything else on default. And now the machine won't POST. I counted 4 beeps and the lcd wouldn't even turn on. Putting 880m back in, same result. Now I'm too chicken to strip down the machine to get to the CMOS battery based on the Owner's manual steps. Please help :(

Did smth stupid. Going in without proper research I know :'( but please help. So finally I decided to upgrade to 980m from my current 880m on the Alienware 17 R1 (aka R5 if you like) with 120Hz 3D screen after months of contemplating. After seeing successful attempts I jumped on board and popped the card in (bought from Hidevolution). Before installing the card I used Driver sweeper to clean all drivers. BIOS is latest A14 completely unmodified and in UEFI mode, everything else on default. And now the machine won't POST. I counted 4 beeps and the lcd wouldn't even turn on. Putting 880m back in, same result. Now I'm too chicken to strip down the machine to get to the CMOS battery based on the Owner's manual steps. Please help :(

From reading around on threads like these there's a few things you need to do in order for a 980M to work on the A17 when you've got a 120Hz screen. You need Windows 8, Windows 7 won't work with it with the 120Hz screen on the A17. You need the BIOS set for a 'pure' UEFI environment, no legacy boot option chosen. And I think the disk needs to be GPT partitioned or something like that - bit hazy on my memory of it. This is my recollection, but read around in the forums here & on NBR to confirm what I've said.

cord

- Remove battery

- Hold power button for 30 seconds

- Remove CMOS coin battery (next to GPU fan)

- Remove gtx 770m -> 2 screws only, there's no need to remove the heat sink.

- Reinsert CMOS battery

- Plug power cord

- Power on -> Beeps -> hold power button until shutdown.

- Power on -> F2 -> disable the integrated graphics - Second Advanced Menu -> Video Configuration -> disable IGP -> set display to PEG -> Exit menu 'Save Without Exit' -> shutdown.

- Reinsert gtx 770m.

- Power ON -> F2 -> shutdown.

- Reinsert Battery.

I really dont know what is going on, but if there is no such thing as primary or secondary vbios,

well, then alienware users will not be able to upgrade GPU to 980m. At least now when there is no "general" unlocked vbios for it.

I am sure I have done the right thing to upgrade. (unlocked bios, disable IGP, primary PEG... ect) as I've done it more than "many" times.

There's no such thing 'primary vBIOS', check the ones for 17" Clevos single GPU models. My cards are all Clevo/Sager. Since I can't flash using SG (3D), I always ask for the closest/matching model.

Good luck mate!

Hello all ,

I have an alienware 17 R5 with an Nvidia GTX 780M . I have decide to change the vga card with an 980M from eurocom and a friend of mine install the card to my laptop. I have also a 330w power supply. I have a feeling that the card is not so much powerful than my 780M . I search google and it takes me here in this forum and i read something about throttiling of the vga.

I try to install latest drivers from nvidia but i take an error in the installation proccess. I have read about 60% of the topic and i didn't understand much.

I must have an edited driver for this card ? I must my card bios to stop throttling ?

Thanks a lot

GeForce 353.06 WHQL

Best gaming experience for Heroes of the Storm
    INF MOD v353.06
    nv_dispi.inf: PEG/Dedicated All Models (including Optimus/M17xR4) excluding AW 2015 - GTX 980M , 970M , 965M , 880M , 870M , 860M , 780M , 770M , 765M , 680M , 675MX , 670MX
    nvcvi.inf: Optimus Alienware 17 / 05AA (only) GTX 980M - 970M - 965M
    GeForce 353.06 WHQL

*900M* driver regression, core throttling 135~400 MHz, vram P-states matching (only). Unfortunately NV messed up really bad, it seems that Kepler wasn't enough, testing our patience...rather than drivers itself (980 Ti release). Voice your opinions here Official NVIDIA 353.06 WHQL Game Ready Display Driver Feedback Thread

I have very little spare time, I'll try to work around it...shady business practices by Nvidia!

Feedback please, AW17/M17x Optimus mode & M18xR2?