Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

I am assuming NVCP opens for you and does not crash until you try to change settings. If that is the case, it does that for a lot of people. Just enter the settings tab and wait for about 30 seconds and it should become responsive again and let you change settings. If you try changing settings during the time it is reading "not responding" in the window title bar it will crash.

Thanksfor the reply Mr. Fox but already tried that,it still crashes, the the windows pop telling me it has crashed will come up regardless of waiting even. I have a second OS on the system and that one works fine but just not ready to to do a complete wipe as i still have a few minor tweaks and mods to do, but don;t want to make a fresh windows become unstable due to unexpected issues during testing.

Thanksfor the reply Mr. Fox but already tried that,it still crashes, the the windows pop telling me it has crashed will come up regardless of waiting even. I have a second OS on the system and that one works fine but just not ready to to do a complete wipe as i still have a few minor tweaks and mods to do, but don;t want to make a fresh windows become unstable due to unexpected issues during testing.

Try this... create a new Windows User account, assign it admin rights and log in. If the NVCP crashing problem is fixed, use the new account and remove the old one. Be sure to move any user-created files to a generic folder so you don't lose them when you delete the old account. If it is not fixed, then you're going to have to do a clean OS install or waste many hours in troubleshooting.

Hi everyone,

I got a new Alienware 17 r2 2015 laptop a few days ago (the one with the 4GB 980m).

I'd like to know if I can use one of the vbios by sv17 or by Prema.

I mean, I could also do the test, but I don't actually know if after flashing

I will be able to restore the previous vbios (of which I already have a safe copy).

My goal is to unlock the core clock and over voltage.

Any help or suggestion is well accepted :)

Thank you very much

I've a WIP beta for that model, though it needs system BIOS modding too as it clocks the CPU down the more the GPU is clocked up:

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x-aw-17/9548-alienware-17-r2-2015-a.html#post131618

I've a WIP beta for that model, though it needs system BIOS modding too as it clocks the CPU down the more the GPU is clocked up:

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x-aw-17/9548-alienware-17-r2-2015-a.html#post131618

Cool, that sounds really interesting, do you clock down the CPU when the GPU is clocked up because of the limitations of the 180W power brick, or is there some kind of block perhaps (like a limit in max Watts allowable) in the system regardless of which Power Brick is used (180W/240W/330W)?

EDIT: just realised I misread your post, you're saying it needs BIOS modding to prevent the downclocking of the CPU when GPU is overclocked. Does it even need that when you're using a 240W or 330W adapter?

Cool, that sounds really interesting, do you clock down the CPU when the GPU is clocked up because of the limitations of the 180W power brick, or is there some kind of block perhaps (like a limit in max Watts allowable) in the system regardless of which Power Brick is used (180W/240W/330W)?

i know my Clevo 157sm with gtx 980m cuts out 180watt psu with Far Cry 4, actually 2 different PSU: one been original from Clevo, and other brander Delta PSU from Msi gt70. though both systems were originaly shipped with 780m

• Thumbs Up 1

i know my Clevo 157sm with gtx 980m cuts out 180watt psu with Far Cry 4, actually 2 different PSU: one been original from Clevo, and other brander Delta PSU from Msi gt70. though both systems were originaly shipped with 780m

We can (almost) max out a 330W PSU with OCed XM CPU and a single unlocked GTX980M...

EDIT: just realised I misread your post, you're saying it needs BIOS modding to prevent the downclocking of the CPU when GPU is overclocked. Does it even need that when you're using a 240W or 330W adapter?

We tested R2 with 240W and the stock BIOS (A00-A03) throttles the CPU once the the GPU is taxed.

EDIT:

Regarding AW MXM vBIOS status:

Essentially we have collected enough data to permanently get rid of any and all throttle, just need to put everything into a user friendly version (some of the betas are wild) as well as get it to 100% success rate in all situations (benching, gaming, power cycles etc).

I want the vBIOS to be as stock as possible with just a simple move of core, vRAM and voltage slider needed to get it ready for lift off.

SLI:

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/4783082

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/9798909

Hello buddies,

I need some help from you, I am having some heat problems with my left card (right seems fine atm). Even if I applied fujipoly's TIM (17.0 watt/mk) and Liquid ultra on the core left card is extremely hot while gaming or benching.

I will try to explain how I did apply the TIM with this picture:

WwXJqgK.jpg

behYwUq.jpg

I think maybe the problem is one the following:

1. The heatsink could be bent. (So if this is it I need a new one)

2. As I did not have as many different TIM's thickness as the heatsink may need, I solved that applying as many layers of TIM as I needed to be sure that there were contact between chips and the heatsink.

One card hits (even with stock voltage) 85ºC or so, the other card is like 5-6ºC less hotter.

Maybe using more than one layer of TIM is generating the problem. I am ordering more thermal pads with different thickness to address the issue.

Disclaimer: Upgrading/Mod/Unlocking/Overclocking is your choice and any damages or problems are your fault! Happy Gaming!!!

UPDATED as of 23 MAY 2015

Please note I am not a guru and this is only what I have read and pulled together from many threads. I installed one 980m and am waiting on the heatsink for the second one. I must admit this wasn't very easy. (At least not for me) But the bugs are being worked and the Guru's really deserve thanks! (and donations to keep the work alive. If you buy a $700+ video that isn't worth $200 without the support of these guys I don't know what to say about you) I will try to update this post with everything I have learned to this point so if you choose to do this upgrade you will have an easier (not easy) time. So far I am very happy with it coming from one 7980m!

Guru's if you see anything incorrect let me know and I will fix it. clear.png

Procedure for upgrading the M18X R2 with 980m’s

1. You must create a bootable thumb drive with Windows 8 or 8.1. (Or a DVD)

1a. Rufus is a free small utility that creates bootable USB flash drive for Windows 7 or 8.

1b. Plug in USB flash drive

1c. Launch Rufus

1.c.1. Under Partition Scheme and target sys type> Choose GPT partition scheme for UEFI computer.

1.c.2. Under Create a bootable disk using> Chose ISO image then click on box to the right and add your WIN 8.iso file

1.c.3.Hit Start and create you boot drive.

1.c.4.Restart computer and hit F2 to enter the Bios

2. In the Bios,

2a. Click on Boot tab> UEFI = Enabled/ Legacy ROM = Disabled.

2b. F10 to save bios and Exit. (Tip make sure you backup your steam game saves!!!)

2c. Shut system.

Install your Single or Dual 980M

and a Pro Tip from Mr. Fox!

3. Plug in your Win 8/8.1 Boot drive. (Or DVD)

3a. Power on the computer and install Win 8/8.1

3b Install drives and software (Do not install the unmodified nivida drivers. Plus install dot net 3.5)

3.b.1. Windows 8 clean install guide (Tip the Dell/Alienware website isn't updated well for the M18x driver support. You will get though it)

3.b.2. Alienware look and feel after a clean install of windows

3.b.3. “Disable driver signature enforcement

3.b.4. Install GeForce Hotfix driver 353.00 btn_donate_74x21.pngto J95

3.5.4.a Extract the drivers using something like 7zip. (with 7zip installed, just rightclick and press "Extract to "/File name here"") Inside the extracted driver folder open Display.Driver. The "nv_dispi.inf" in that folder is what we need to replace it using NV_dispi.inf.

4. Unlock your GPU’s

4a. Disable the 980M in Device Manager

4.b.1. Flash Prema's vbios version 1.1 run modme.bat and modme2.bat answering "y" when asked (Make a donation to him - HERE The Password for all files is: premamod.com orbiosmods.wordpress.com) Pro Tip!

4c Enable the 980m in Device Manager

4.c. NV Inspector -> Match P0/P1 stock clocks first -> Run Valley Benchmark then find out how much the card will hold w/ 1.068v , finally update settings. Don't mess w/ voltage offset including undervolting, only when OCing.

Do some benchmark (3DMark FireStrike 1.1, 3DMark 11, 3DMark Vantage...)

Downloads

Rufus is a free small utility that creates bootable USB flash drive for Windows 7 or 8.

Prema's vbios version 1.1 (Make a donation to him - HERE) I did! clear.png

j95's modded GeForce Hotfix driver 353.00 drivers and NV_dispi.inf (Make a donation to him - btn_donate_74x21.png

NV_dispi.inf.

NV Inspector

DDU This program will wipe your video drivers you will need this eventually. If you are updating you video drivers for whatever reason, poor performance, throttling, or updating to new drivers. Run this in safe mode, select "clean and shutdown" then power your laptop on then disable unsigned driver protection. Like in step 3.b.3

Notes

Unlocking the 980 SLI with OC may/will require Dual PSU mod (NON OC is fine with 1 PSU)

ATI to Nvidia Heatsink are interchangeable

Appreciation’s!!!

I do specially thanks to @@Nikos, Peter, Kenny27, and godfafa for procedure. @Mr. Fox@@j95, @svl7, @Prema, For the keys to success!!! @ And finally the Alienware community NRB and Techinferno forums!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

One card hits (even with stock voltage) 85ºC or so, the other card is like 5-6ºC less hotter.

Probable cause is different the value of GPU-Z ASIC Quality. I would suggest that left card is less than 65%, therefore, IMHO, with more heat this card useless to fight. Sorry.

And you don't want to try such material Viscous Thermal Paste for Thermal Pad Replacement K5 Pro 60g 3x20g Xbox Apple | eBay, in my opinion an excellent replacement to the miseries of adjusting the thickness of thermal pads (itself yet did not try, just ordered).

Guys,

I have a 3840QM CPU do you guys think I need to upgrade to a 3920X? I would only be playing games not chase benchmarks. I'm thinking I will only be giving up a couple of FPS the way it is currently which I can live with.

Probable cause is different the value of GPU-Z ASIC Quality. I would suggest that left card is less than 65%, therefore, IMHO, with more heat this card useless to fight. Sorry.

And you don't want to try such material Viscous Thermal Paste for Thermal Pad Replacement K5 Pro 60g 3x20g Xbox Apple | eBay, in my opinion an excellent replacement to the miseries of adjusting the thickness of thermal pads (itself yet did not try, just ordered).

I would use thermal pads on GPU... This would be a bad idea and will be troublesome to clean in the future.. Some Phobya XT pads or Fujipoly pads will be perfect...

Guys,

I have a 3840QM CPU do you guys think I need to upgrade to a 3920X? I would only be playing games not chase benchmarks. I'm thinking I will only be giving up a couple of FPS the way it is currently which I can live with.

It's not worth upgrading for games, 3840QM is good. If you're aiming for 60fps then you'll be fine - if you're aiming for 120fps then get the better CPU.

hey guys, can you spot the difference? i ve got 2 different 970m board revisions, which do you think is more advanced?

I've heard conflicting info on this topic - regarding the number or MOSFETS that are along the top of the card. I think there was a user @Khenglish that was saying that the cards with 2 MOSFETS had MOSFETS that were more 'advanced' and efficient somehow, therefore requiring only 2 in contrast to the previous 4 that were common. If you're willing to test them to their limits then you might be able to answer that question for yourself - by flashing one of those modified vBIOS from Prema or svl7, then overclock and see how stable & high they overclock. Sure, there's a silicon lottery between the two cards anyway, but I'd probably just keep the one that overclocks the best.

there is another ellement that is missing on the new card, just below the left upper corner.

True, I see that now that you point it out, not sure what that is. Either way, if I had your cards I would take the approach I outlined in my previous post. If you want to have 2 cards for sli maybe you can still do the testing I mentioned & then send back the card that doesn't overclock as well and request a card with the identical design of the card you're keeping.