Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

@Mr. Fox, thanks a lot, that would be great for M17xR3 owners to know. Although I do remember when I installed this 670MX all the guides said to disable 'IGD' in the BIOS and run it as 'PEG' - I just don't know whether that means that the R3 won't work in Optimus mode with a non-standard card. Do you have any thoughts on that particular point? If I become serious about upgrading to a 980M further down the line, then I'd reconfigure my BIOS to Optimus mode first to see if my 670MX would work in Optimus mode - to check.

I spent a long time this evening trying to get the M18xR1 to boot with a single 980M and no luck. I tried every setting relating to video configuration and I get either 8 beeps or it flashes the Alien head logo on-screen for a split second and reboots before the BIOS actually loads. It should still be tested on the M17xR3 because testing with the M18xR1 may be inconclusive with respect to the M17xR3. The M18xR1 appears to not actually have a working Optimus configuration like the M18xR2 does. You can boot the R1 with SG mode and see the Intel iGPU and both discrete GPUs in Device Manager, but the M18xR2 can only boot with one GPU installed when SG mode is enabled.

I spent a long time this evening trying to get the M18xR1 to boot with a single 980M and no luck. I tried every setting relating to video configuration and I get either 8 beeps or it flashes the Alien head logo on-screen for a split second and reboots before the BIOS actually loads. It should still be tested on the M17xR3 because testing with the M18xR1 may be inconclusive with respect to the M17xR3. The M18xR1 appears to not actually have a working Optimus configuration like the M18xR2 does. You can boot the R1 with SG mode and see the Intel iGPU and both discrete GPUs in Device Manager, but the M18xR2 can only boot with one GPU installed when SG mode is enabled.

Thanks for the testing Mr Fox, much appreciated! Ah right, so you think it's possibly a problem with the M18xR1 not being able to run Optimus with one card installed - I take it that goes for one 780M too (rather than one 980M that you tested)? If your M18xR1 does work in Optimus with one 780M, but not with one 980M, then that would not be a good omen for 980M in M17xR3.

That is what it seems like to me. I have never attempted to use a single 780M, (or a single anything for that matter,) in the M18xR1, but there are zero compatibility issues with 780M. All of the Alienware compatibility issues started with 980M.

That is what it seems like to me. I have never attempted to use a single 780M, (or a single anything for that matter,) in the M18xR1, but there are zero compatibility issues with 780M. All of the Alienware compatibility issues started with 980M.

Yes, but I suppose you understand my point I made that if your 780M was to work in single GPU mode with Optimus in your M18xR1 & 980M didn't, then that would mean it would be less likely for a 980M to work in an M17xR3. Do you see what I'm getting at? (I appreciate that it's not 100% proof that won't work in the M17xR3 though).

EDIT: I'm a bit confused about the bit in bold, you just tried it with a single 980M, so that statement confuses me.

I have installed hardware - took off 7970m and installed 980m .

but I cannot find and install working drivers for it :(

pls help

does anyone have the hidevolution drivers which are supposed to work on m17x R4 ?

or any drivers that would work ?

I have installed hardware - took off 7970m and installed 980m .

but I cannot find and install working drivers for it :(

pls help

does anyone have the hidevolution drivers which are supposed to work on m17x R4 ?

or any drivers that would work ?

Alienware M17x R4 | i7-3740QM | AMD 7970M 2GB -> GTX 980M 8GB | 32GB DDR3 1600Mhz | mSata+SATA Mushkin RAID-0 120GB | 1 x 7k1000 | 1080p 120Hz | Killer WiFi

So you upgraded screen 120Hz & GPU?

Follow this http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware/8113-going-test-clevo-980m-alienware-m17x-r4-m18x-r2-aw17-102.html#post119029

So you upgraded screen 120Hz & GPU?

no I have 60hz display - from what I have read - if I have 60hz screen there should be an easy upgrade but unfortunately the card does not seem to work.

I have installed some drivers that seem to detect the card - it is detected in the Devices

post-31977-14494999165549_thumb.jpg

but nothing else - I cannot switch between cards and turn it on - the computer uses Intel Graphics 4000

:(

Yes, but I suppose you understand my point I made that if your 780M was to work in single GPU mode with Optimus in your M18xR1 & 980M didn't, then that would mean it would be less likely for a 980M to work in an M17xR3. Do you see what I'm getting at? (I appreciate that it's not 100% proof that won't work in the M17xR3 though).

EDIT: I'm a bit confused about the bit in bold, you just tried it with a single 980M, so that statement confuses me.

Until today, testing a single 980M on the M18xR1. Never tested a single anything before. Hope that makes more sense now.

no I have 60hz display - from what I have read - if I have 60hz screen there should be an easy upgrade but unfortunately the card does not seem to work.

I meant your signature '1080P 120Hz'...not required.

I have installed some drivers that seem to detect the card - it is detected in the Devices

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13686[/ATTACH]

but nothing else - I cannot switch between cards and turn it on - the computer uses Intel Graphics 4000

:(

Dedicated FN+F7, if it's not working then you need to install AW OSD http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER01771210M/1/Application_N9PMP_WN_0.32.0.8C_A00.EXE

Well, you gave it a really good effort and I appreciate the fact that you did. Thank you.

[MENTION=119]Mr. Fox[/MENTION] thanks for testing nvflash. I will find a solution for this. Flashing using a friends laptop is not an option...every week...:D Clearly we need a BIOS mod as I was told, he even included the 880M, and that's all the help/advise we'll get since he/Elite despises AW...:D

Until today, testing a single 980M on the M18xR1. Never tested a single anything before. Hope that makes more sense now.

Thanks yes, that makes sense. Are you going to try a single 780M in Optimus mode in your M18xR1? If a single 780M does work in that scenario, then it's less likely that a 980M will work in the M17xR3, because then the reason for the 980M not working wouldn't be that Optimus doesn't work in your M18xR1.

Dedicated FN+F7, if it's not working then you need to install AW OSD

Yes, in the meanwhile you were writing that, I have installed OSD and switched the graphics manually Fn+F7 .

The computer had to be restarted and booted up on just a sigle graphic card ( Microsoft default ) - so I had to install the drivers once again and this time they all work !! :-)

It is a disadvantage that I have to use only one graphic card now without restart - the Optimus nvidia does not work - but I got the 980m working !!! juppie :)

The upgrade from 7970m to 980m has been made on my m17x R4 :)

post-31977-14494999165647_thumb.jpg

post-31977-1449499916579_thumb.jpg

I am using drivers Mr. Fox 344.75 Desktop Mod v2.0: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwdqi25LDwZya3E4OGVfN3V5dEE/view?usp=sharing

but if you guys recoomend any other - please let me know !

The 3dmark11 score is not very good - that worries me :(

maybe its because of the drivers ?

post-31977-14494999166121_thumb.jpg

thanks for all the help !!

• Thumbs Up 2

Yes, in the meanwhile you were writing that, I have installed OSD and switched the graphics manually Fn+F7 .

The computer had to be restarted and booted up on just a sigle graphic card ( Microsoft default ) - so I had to install the drivers once again and this time they all work !! :-)

It is a disadvantage that I have to use only one graphic card now without restart - the Optimus nvidia does not work - but I got the 980m working !!! juppie :)

The upgrade from 7970m to 980m has been made on my m17x R4 :)

I am using drivers Mr. Fox 344.75 Desktop Mod v2.0: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwdqi25LDwZya3E4OGVfN3V5dEE/view?usp=sharing

but if you guys recoomend any other - please let me know !

The 3dmark11 score is not very good - that worries me :(

maybe its because of the drivers ?

thanks for all the help !!

No problem, if he included full IDs then the mod is the same as this http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware/8113-going-test-clevo-980m-alienware-m17x-r4-m18x-r2-aw17-89.html#post117687

@Jackyyy you probably need to install AW OSD too http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER01771210M/1/Application_N9PMP_WN_0.32.0.8C_A00.EXE

Just checking that those whom have upgraded to the 980M or 970M on the Alienware 17s or R4s are able to run Win 7 fine?

Win 8.1 full UEFI mode is not required?

From the information going around you can use windows 7 but you have to use the laptop in optimus mode. If you want to run in dedicated mode you have to use win 8.1 full uefi mode.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just checking that those whom have upgraded to the 980M or 970M on the Alienware 17s or R4s are able to run Win 7 fine?

Win 8.1 full UEFI mode is not required?

I am using WIndows 8.1 in UEFI mode. I need to use dedicated mode - Optimus not working .

Have not tried Win 7.

Hi,my dear @J95! I installed driver then FN+F7 but the Microsoft default single card left.Then i reinstalled driver,the 980m worked.

I don't know why,but it worked! I will do more tests tomorrow.

thank you for your advise!:)

• Thumbs Up 2

This is only for sli laptops or for single card laptops as well?

Finally got optimus working without issue. Set hwinfo to wake gpu on boot and set global settings to prefer nvidia gpu . Seems to load games fine and even holds my overclock rock solid while gaming. So my computer seems to work Tha same as it was in dedicated mode.im sure performance isn't exactly as same as dedicated but as far as gaming I can't really tell the difference. Maybe for benching there is a difference.

Anyhow the next step in my master plan is to decide where to buy the 980m. I am confident enough now that if I buy the 980m I will be able to install in my system with little to no issues if I use optimus and my factory windows 7 install.[emoji4]

Finally got optimus working without issue. Set hwinfo to wake gpu on boot and set global settings to prefer nvidia gpu . Seems to load games fine and even holds my overclock rock solid while gaming. So my computer seems to work Tha same as it was in dedicated mode.im sure performance isn't exactly as same as dedicated but as far as gaming I can't really tell the difference. Maybe for benching there is a difference.

Anyhow the next step in my master plan is to decide where to buy the 980m. I am confident enough now that if I buy the 980m I will be able to install in my system with little to no issues if I use optimus and my factory windows 7 install.[emoji4]

good to hear, i suggest getting windows 8.1 if there's issues with windows 7....just sayin'!

good to hear, i suggest getting windows 8.1 if there's issues with windows 7....just sayin'!

Yea I will try with windows 7 in optimus mode first because I really don't want to erase my computer and start over . I'm confident it will work ok. If not i will probably be hitting you up on how to install 8.1 in the eufi to make the card work. I wonder If hid evolution is open on weekend so I can call them. Will try around 10 and see what happens.

Yea I will try with windows 7 in optimus mode first because I really don't want to erase my computer and start over . I'm confident it will work ok. If not i will probably be hitting you up on how to install 8.1 in the eufi to make the card work. I wonder If hid evolution is open on weekend so I can call them. Will try around 10 and see what happens.

if i stick with optimus then yeah will probably have to make hwinfo64 wake the GPU at boot.

I haven't messed with cpu overclocking yet. I have the 4800mq and with single graphics card 770m I don't think I really need too. Can't help you on that one.

Called hid evolution and got message saying business hours are from 900 to 500 mon-fri . Closed for orders sat and sun. I'm going to have to sneak away during work on Monday long enough to make order.haha.

On a different note what are you guys who have ordered the 980m and 970m doing for heatsink padding on the back of your cards. Are you just leaving it with nothing on back or do you guys put something there somehow. I know the cards only come with x - brace on the back. ? And if I have them send the correct screws for the x-bracket I can just screw my heatsink to card no problems right ?.

I haven't messed with cpu overclocking yet. I have the 4800mq and with single graphics card 770m I don't think I really need too. Can't help you on that one.

Called hid evolution and got message saying business hours are from 900 to 500 mon-fri . Closed for orders sat and sun. I'm going to have to sneak away during work on Monday long enough to make order.haha.

On a different note what are you guys who have ordered the 980m and 970m doing for heatsink padding on the back of your cards. Are you just leaving it with nothing on back or do you guys put something there somehow. I know the cards only come with x - brace on the back. ? And if I have them send the correct screws for the x-bracket I can just screw my heatsink to card no problems right ?.

no no, i mean the core voltage slider for the GPU, i can't change it while in optimus mode but in dedicated i can....probably because the GPU is not "awake" while in optimus mode. my GPU's core voltage is set to 1.062v in dedicated but all my OC settings get removed when in optimus mode.

EDIT: if loosing adaptive vsync is the only caveat then so be it!