Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

notebookreview is still down :(

shame, i still have heaps of fears (if you can call it that) about the 980M like...

1) running in dedicated mode - will it work?!

2) will the GPU still throttle on 347.09 drivers with a stock vBIOS?

and I can't answer them until i actually have a 980M in my hands. :(

EDIT: I wonder if display fusion pro is causing the PC to freeze on load cos when it loading there's hardly any icons in the notification area.

Hi :) i do have 980m now in my hands but waiting for diamond 24 carat paste to come and screws for clevo xbracket . So still playing Dragon Age on my 7970m ... Already win 8.1 working on UEFI and drivers downloaded . Should keep you updated on the upgrade soon :-)

• Thumbs Up 1

shame, i still have heaps of fears (if you can call it that) about the 980M like...

EDIT: I wonder if display fusion pro is causing the PC to freeze on load cos when it loading there's hardly any icons in the notification area.

Yea that's to bad nbr is down because most of the information on 980m and 970m in alienware 17 was coming from . I fried my 780m from messing with it to much. Swapping x brackets changing heatsinks . And Handling to much I guess. Pulling out with battery still plugged it twice. Put my 770m back in and I'm good for now. But I'm looking to get the 980m here pretty quick .once you have a little taste of performance it's hard to go back to a slower card. It's like riding a Yamaha r1 street bike and crashing it and then have to go back to driving your Honda civic.[emoji4]

• Thumbs Up 1

Yea that's to bad nbr is down because most of the information on 980m and 970m in alienware 17 was coming from . I fried my 780m from messing with it to much. Swapping x brackets changing heatsinks . And Handling to much I guess. Pulling out with battery still plugged it twice. Put my 770m back in and I'm good for now. But I'm looking to get the 980m here pretty quick .

so the 780m is not working anymore?

so the 780m is not working anymore?

No I literally smoked it. The last time I changed heatsink and put it back in I started a game and it just went crazy screen and I could smell smoke or burnt electronics whatever you want to call it. So I just shut off computer and pulled card. Put my 770m back in and computer is fine thank goodness . I was kind of carelessly Handling the card so it's nobody's fault but my own. Time to move on to better things.

No I literally smoked it. The last time I changed heatsink and put it back in I started a game and it just went crazy screen and I could smell smoke or burnt electronics whatever you want to call it. So I just shut off computer and pulled card. Put my 770m back in and computer is fine thank goodness . I was kind of carelessly Handling the card so it's nobody's fault but my own. Time to move on to better things.

forgot to put thermal paste or shorted something? i usually wear gloves while working as some level of protection while working on PCs since they're rubber and stop static electricity.

forgot to put thermal paste or shorted something? i usually wear gloves while working as some level of protection.

I put plenty of paste. The problem with the heatsink not working properly was when I put it up to card it wasn't sitting on the die flat.one side was touching and one was way off die so heat sink was warped really bad or it got bent somehow. So I was handling card and messing with heatsink to get a nice flush fit. I got the heatsink finally to fit card almost perfect but all the handling of card with bare hands I must of shorted it out somehow. I'll wear gloves next time.[emoji12]

gonna see how much a sager / clevo is in canada cos it might be more worth while just to get a whole new system and sell off the alienware...that's an option.

This is always the case on any machine with aftermarket GPU upgrades, but it has always (until now) worked perfectly in most Alienware systems. There were a few GPU upgrades on the M17xR2 that were problematic, but the old M15x seems to like almost any MXM module you want to feed it.

I think your idea about getting a Clevo is a good option. There are some previous generation Clevo systems that don't work correctly with 980M, so be careful about getting a one, new or used, unless you know with certainty it's one of the models that 980M actually works correctly with. You could get a 980M and see if you can get it working correctly in your AW17, and if not, buy a barebones Clevo (yes, they sell them that way) or one with an inexpensive GPU and use the 980M in that machine if you wanted to find out how well it works with the 17.

I finally got one 980M working flawlessly in SG mode/Legacy BIOS in my R2, After disabling ASPM in the BIOS, including at the individual PCIe port level, I got SLI working without throttling whatsoever at base clock speeds and it runs fantastic (as I could with the stock vBIOS) but even a small GPU overclock induces power throttling with SLI for some reason. Since overclocking is extremely important to me and stock performance is totally irrelevant in my view, that will never do. I am planning to grab a P570WM to use them in. The M18xR2 will get back the 780M SLI and be my backup and travel monster machine. I will get one GPU for the M18xR1 and use it for a HTPC/console replacement in my home entertainment center or just sell it without GPUs. I hate to get rid of either of those old machines. They have served me extremely well, still function excellently and are more powerful than pretty much any of the new junk the OEMs are selling as "gaming notebooks." They are truly amazing.

This is always the case on any machine with aftermarket GPU upgrades, but it has always (until now) worked perfectly in most Alienware systems. There were a few GPU upgrades on the M17xR2 that were problematic, but the old M15x seems to like almost any MXM module you want to feed it.

I think your idea about getting a Clevo is a good option. You could get a 980M and see if you can get it working correctly in your AW17, and if not, buy a barebones Clevo (yes, they sell them that way) or one with an inexpensive GPU and use the 980M in that machine if you wanted to find out how well it works with the 17.

I finally got one 980M working flawlessly in SG mode/Legacy BIOS in my R2, After disabling ASPM in the BIOS, including at the individual PCIe port level, I got SLI working without throttling whatsoever at base clock speeds and it runs fantastic (as I could with the stock vBIOS) but even a small GPU overclock induces power throttling with SLI for some reason. Since overclocking is extremely important to me and stock performance is totally irrelevant in my view, that will never do. I am planning to grab a P570WM to use them in. The M18xR2 will get back the 780M SLI and be my backup and travel monster machine. I will get one GPU for the M18xR1 and use it for a HTPC/console replacement in my home entertainment center or just sell it without GPUs. I hate to get rid of either of those old machines. They have severed me extremely well, still function excellently and are more powerful than pretty much any of the new junk the OEMs are selling as "gaming notebooks." They are truly amazing.

yeah, i mean i am fine with the stock vBIOS till all the bugs are ironed out and a new version is released. i am curious to see if a single 980m at stock will run in dedicated mode and not throttle with the 347.09 drivers - so far no success stories.

Brother Fox, can you walk me through this part

"After disabling ASPM in the BIOS, including at the individual PCIe port level" ..?

I'd like to give that a try and see if I can notice any difference.

As you know I'm using 347.09 with barely any throttling..the memory clocks kick down for about 4 seconds in a 3d mark 11 run.. I wonder if it can fix that.

Yes I agree..No overclocking is sad. I want to crank these!

Hey tbonesan.. I got your PM's just before the site went down on the other forums. Shoot me a email please pathfindercod at charter dot net so we can finish up the stuff, thanks!

Brother Fox, can you walk me through this part

"After disabling ASPM in the BIOS, including at the individual PCIe port level" ..?

I'd like to give that a try and see if I can notice any difference.

As you know I'm using 347.09 with barely any throttling..the memory clocks kick down for about 4 seconds in a 3d mark 11 run.. I wonder if it can fix that.

Yes I agree..No overclocking is sad. I want to crank these!

• Thumbs Up 1

i got a 980m in alienware 17 60Hz. I use ws 8.1 in optimus mode. it works perfectly without throttle. But if i go in dedicated mode, it works but i cannot install any nvidia drivers. Even if i fully mod myself. while installing before saying if i want to instal this driver screen, it goes dark screen and stay darks, even after booting. Someone know how can i install this in dedicated mode?

did you install the intel then nvidia drivers while in optimus mode then switch to dedicated?

or

did you instal the intel drivers then switched to dedicated to install the nvidia drivers?

I never uninstal igpu driver. So i instal nvidia driver after intel driver in optimus mode. In dedicated mode, i try without uninstall and with uninstalling nvidia drivers without touching intel driver. In dedicated mode, it run to work, in 1080p but if i try to install a nvidia driver, i got a black screen, sleeping mode wake up it start a screen in 1024p with no nvidia detected and if i restart i cant log on on windows: blackscreen. Any help is welcome :)

i also switch to x bracket dell. Max temp is 70. I loose 2degres in bf4.

I never uninstal igpu driver. So i instal nvidia driver after intel driver in optimus mode. In dedicated mode, i try without uninstall and with uninstalling nvidia drivers without touching intel driver. In dedicated mode, it run to work, in 1080p but if i try to install a nvidia driver, i got a black screen, sleeping mode wake up it start a screen in 1024p with no nvidia detected and if i restart i cant log on on windows: blackscreen. Any help is welcome :)

How do you switch back to Optimus then?

Blank screen try v344.80 http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware/8113-going-test-clevo-980m-alienware-m17x-r4-m18x-r2-aw17-89.html#post117687

Intel HD 4600

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24348&lang=eng

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24245&lang=eng

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php/downloads/Drivers/Intel/HD--and--Iris-Graphics/Serie-15.36.x/

I dont think its with vbios. I m sure its a kinda bug with the driver. I had this same situation with others gpu while i was installing a nvidia driver it was flashing black/ normal for a few seco ds. Here it just pop black and nothing more so it should be a driver issues