Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

So your saying if I install a 980m in my system .alienware 17 980m 60hz screen windows 7 running in optimus mode I can't overclock my card with afterburner anymore. I have to be in dedicated mode to be able to overclock my gpu.

I suppose that you will be able to add only +135 mhz core and some memory units in msi afterburner/nvidiainspector - that's it with that configuration (someone more competent please correct me if I'm wrong). To solve this problem modified vbios is required probably. Anyway, it's good to know that the newest 900 series (especially 980m) will be working in AW17 on mxm 3.0B regarding to the new Alienware's m15 and m17 with soldered CPU and GPU presented yesterday :/

So, the only thing we have to do now is to wait for the better prices for 980m - 765 euros is a lot.

So your saying if I install a 980m in my system .alienware 17 980m 60hz screen windows 7 running in optimus mode I can't overclock my card with afterburner anymore. I have to be in dedicated mode to be able to overclock my gpu.

Well Tomjgx from nbr he's using his GTX970M ocd with optimus but I've read before from a guy who had tried ocing his 765M with optimus but failed....need repaste for OC on my machine here so I can't be sure of this.

Thank you

Ohhh just look for how to install driver fo my 970M

emmm. seems its not work for me....

all right i dont know how to fix the inf...

Modded nv_dispi.inf AW.

I've been using nv_dispi.inf for some time now, mainly to exclude OEM customizations.

Since nvdmi.inf lacks Maxwell entries and to avoid multiple INFs, I've included all models & cards -> nv_dispi.inf <- AW17 - M17x - AW18 - M18x - GTX 980M - 970M - 880M - 780M - 680M - Single & SLI

Desktop entries GTX 980/970.

Maxwell previously tested http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware/8113-going-test-clevo-980m-alienware-m17x-r4-m18x-r2-aw17-65.html#post116116

Full IDs http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware/8113-going-test-clevo-980m-alienware-m17x-r4-m18x-r2-aw17-69.html#post116252

CUDA NVCUVENC Mod. Just register nvcuvenc DLLs as explained here #3 http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia/8290-%5Bmod%5D-latest-nvidia-drivers-cuda-nvcuvenc-encoder-support.html#post114350

Note: v347.09 GTX 980M SLI and GTX 970M SLI notebooks are not supported

with this driver. With SLI enabled on these notebooks, a black screen

will occur upon uninstalling this driver. To workaround this issue,

disable SLI before uninstalling the driver.

Broken Overclocking options.

Windows 8.1

Run DDU/Safe mode, Clean and Shutdown
  • F8 Boot options. 'Safe Mode' & 'Disable driver Signing'
    cmd (Admin)
    bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

-> reboot -> F8 -> select 'Disable Driver Signature Enforcement' -> Install drivers.

• Extract driver w/ 7-Zip/winrar
  • Display.Driver folder -> copy/overwrite nv_dispi.inf
  • Extracted driver folder -> run setup.exe

GeForce 347.09 WHQL

GeForce 344.80 Beta

GeForce 344.75 WHQL

GeForce 344.65 WHQL

nv_dispi.inf_v347.09_AW17_M17x_AW18_M18x_GTX_980M_970M_880M_780M_680M.zip

nv_dispi.inf_v344.80_AW17_M17x_AW18_M18x_GTX_980M_970M_880M_780M_680M.zip

nv_dispi.inf_v344.75_AW17_M17x_AW18_M18x_GTX_980M_970M_880M_780M_680M.zip

nv_dispi.inf_v344.65_AW17_M17x_AW18_M18x_GTX_980M_970M_880M_780M_680M.zip

5 quality posts or T|I Elite Membership and get immediate download access.

• Thumbs Up 3

J95 regarding the drivers.

I will need to flash my 980m with unlocked vbios first before I can use your drivers?

If yes can you pls let me know the link to the procedure and where to get the vbios.

Also I noticed that after installing the eurocom drivers there is one win notification popping up after install on the cudasenc. You post also has a link so I also need to install the modified cudasenc to make it work?

is there a difference between the alienware 18 and alienware 17 980Ms for the ones sold on Eurocom?

No difference as far as I know. However just let them know which system you will be install the GPU into. That is normally how they do things. :)

No difference as far as I know. However just let them know which system you will be install the GPU into. That is normally how they do things. :)

OK, I bookmarked the Alienware 17 980M but I have sent an email to their sales dept to see if i can just grab either one.

• Thumbs Up 1

i got a 980m in alienware 17 60Hz. I use ws 8.1 in optimus mode. it works perfectly without throttle. But if i go in dedicated mode, it works but i cannot install any nvidia drivers. Even if i fully mod myself. while installing before saying if i want to instal this driver screen, it goes dark screen and stay darks, even after booting. Someone know how can i install this in dedicated mode?

• Thumbs Up 1

i got a 980m in alienware 17 60Hz. I use ws 8.1 in optimus mode. it works perfectly without throttle. But if i go in dedicated mode, it works but i cannot install any nvidia drivers. Even if i fully mod myself. while installing before saying if i want to instal this driver screen, it goes dark screen and stay darks, even after booting. Someone know how can i install this in dedicated mode?

i wonder how common that is?

i'd be ok with running with optimus though.

I'd would be ok with optimus to if I knew how to make my games work. I bought my laptop over a year ago and turned of optimus 30 minutes after the firs time I ever turned my laptop on and never switched optimus back on again. Well today I switched it back on just to see what it would be like and when I try to play a game it only uses the igpu. It shows both igpu and dgpu in device manager . How do you make the games use the dgpu for games when your in optimus. Is that why people don't like optimus because it don't work.

I know this defeats the purpose of optimus but is there a way to permantly turn on dgpu in optimus so it would work without issues but still have optimus so one could use the 980m.

i am not sure about that.

i am still wondering if the 347.09 drivers will throttle and block OC when in optimus mode.