Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

There is no throttle in single GPU AW setups...at least not with modded vB.

interesting because i have heard that some people have had throttling issues with single GPUs configs when the GPU is in dedicated mode. though they're on M17x R4s and not the AW17 like what I have so there might be something in the bios/uefi that's talking to the GPU differently on the M17x R4 than on the AW17. I have yet to find/hear of anyone installing a 980M into an AW17 unless i missed someone.

Has anyone installed gtx 980m in AW 17 (mid 2013) standard 60 Hz screen with Win 7 in optimus mode (without UEFI/Legacy enabled)? Does it really work with modified drivers on plug&play? I read this thread and there is little information about that kind of laptop configuration. I would like to be sure when I lose some money. Thanks in advance!

Has anyone installed gtx 980m in AW 17 (mid 2013) standard 60 Hz screen with Win 7 in optimus mode (without UEFI/Legacy enabled)? Does it really work with modified drivers on plug&play? I read this thread and there is little information about that kind of laptop configuration. I would like to be sure when I lose some money. Thanks in advance!

I was wondering same thing. As I have 2013 model alienware 17 with 60hz screen and windows 7. I could of sworn I heard like one of the first guys to try the 980m said it works in the alienware 17 with 60hz screen with windows 7 but only in optimus mode. Just needed to modify inf file for driver. Dedicated graphics mode would not work without doing all the windows 8.1 eufi stuff. But still waiting for someone with these system specs to confirm for sure .

Would be nice but I'm not holding my breath.

it's not a matter of PnP but a matter of performance. i have an AW17 with windows 8.1 and a 60hz display and i would like to see if it'll perform without issue.

it's not a matter of PnP but a matter of performance. i have an AW17 with windows 8.1 and a 60hz display and i would like to see if it'll perform without issue.

Hey theghosts. It's me player2 from nbr. Can't get the moderators to change my username. Anyway hopefully more people with systems like ours start using the 980M's so we can get more concrete evidence .

i've been told that svl7 has an AW17 so i am hoping they will shed some light on their experiences as of late when it comes to managing performance and throttling.

As soon as I get my motherboard replaced.

• Thumbs Up 1

They don't take a performance hit even with it enabled...using my modded vB even 1500Mhz SLI had no throttle...

I am not sure if BB2 is causing the throttle (even with modded vB) in AW SLI configuration...it maybe something in BIOS ACPI that generates an "estimate total power consumption value" and shuts down the P-states if it thinks it's being breached.

That sounds like something I would expect from the people at Alienware based on their recent track record of doing their damned level best to ruin great hardware with stupid locked-down trash. It seems their decision-making leadership is on a quest to destroy the brand's reputation among enthusiasts.

hmmm....it's gonna cost me $1300 just to get the 980M to where i am :(

That's crazy.

Maybe hold off a little longer until the 1080m comes out and there will 980M's popping up for cheaper. I'm sure the 1080m is just gonna be a slightly overclocked 980m anyway . maybe check the forums for someone selling one. That's how I got my 780m. I want a 980m too but the price plus problems people seam to be having I just can't bring my self to spend that much on something that I would have to mess with just to get working proper.

That's just my 2 cents . So take it with a grain of salt . Each person has to decide what they want to do for themselves.

@thegh0sts - That's just crazy. If you haven't already, try RJ Tech, PowerNotebooks or HIDevolution and you can get it for between $700 and $800 USD. Honestly, I wish I hadn't bought it at this point. Is it amazing? Absolutely, but only when it feels like working right in an Alienware. I should have just waited until I had a little more money gathered and purchased a P570WM3 with 980M SLI and 4930K instead. Now I need to find one with 780M SLI so I will have something to swap GPUs with the M18xR2. The 780M SLI setup that was in the M18xR2 is working really sweet in the M18xR1.

- - - Updated - - -

So what do you recommand ? I indeed want a laptop that i can mod and put stuff in it myself. I just need a base. I have a lenovo y500 650M but I want to buy something else and start adding stuff to it.

Buy a used Alienware or a new Clevo.

Korean clevo reseller let me test their gtx980m in my alienware.

With my folks from Korean alienware forum, I am gonna test

1) whether it works in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW 17

2) how heatsink and gpu chips match hardware-wise

3) do some benchmarks (3dmark11, new 3dmark...)

I've got a desktop modded- nvidia gpu driver (thanks to LEEKM) which doesn't need inf modding.

Too bad I am not getting two, so I can't test sli.

I think I am getting it in a few hours, but gotta go to my wife's parents house. So I will be able to test it tomorrow night (korean time) ie about 33 hours from now.

Wish me a good luck folks.

I have succeeded finally.

Click here.

Congrats !

I am myself now wondering on buying GTX 980M and upgrate my 7970M !

Little afraid of complications but optimistic using Win 8.1 anyway.

Do you know any sites where I can download the modified drivers you have mentioned ?

I was wondering same thing. As I have 2013 model alienware 17 with 60hz screen and windows 7. I could of sworn I heard like one of the first guys to try the 980m said it works in the alienware 17 with 60hz screen with windows 7 but only in optimus mode. Just needed to modify inf file for driver. Dedicated graphics mode would not work without doing all the windows 8.1 eufi stuff. But still waiting for someone with these system specs to confirm for sure .

Would be nice but I'm not holding my breath.

For the optimus / SG mode / 60Hz there's no need for a UEFI environment they are pnp just need modded drivers.

But you cannot use it in a dedicated mode if no UEFI.

So for the AW17 900M upgrade you can opt for optimus (pointless if you want to OC) and say good bye to dedicated mode or Install a win8 with full UEFI and use both.

Again for flashing vBIOS you will need to re-enable the legacy option rom in SG mode / Optimus mode then flash the card. Plus if 120Hz AW17 then atm one cannot flash their Maxwell GPU due to the stupid BIOS lockdown..

• Thumbs Up 1

@thegh0sts - That's just crazy. If you haven't already, try RJ Tech, PowerNotebooks or HIDevolution and you can get it for between $700 and $800 USD. Honestly, I wish I hadn't bought it at this point. Is it amazing? Absolutely, but only when it feels like working right in an Alienware. I should have just waited until I had a little more money gathered and purchased a P570WM3 with 980M SLI and 4930K instead. Now I need to find one with 780M SLI so I will have something to swap GPUs with the M18xR2. The 780M SLI setup that was in the M18xR2 is working really sweet in the M18xR1.

- - - Updated - - -

Buy a used Alienware or a new Clevo.

That's canadian $$ and since I am in Ontario I have to add 13% on top of that so it ends up being 1300 canadian.

I'd be ok with it running at stock in Optimus mode if I were to get it now though I am still confused as to what is causing the throttling and some are saying that running in Optimus is the best option.

Does the card throttle in Optimus mode or just in dedicated mode?

EDIT : 240W is ok for a 980m at stock speeds?

also, if alienware ever releases the 900m series GPUs i hope someone tests them to see what the differences are and if it can be flashed onto clevo cards.

For the optimus / SG mode / 60Hz there's no need for a UEFI environment they are pnp just need modded drivers.

But you cannot use it in a dedicated mode if no UEFI.

So for the AW17 900M upgrade you can opt for optimus (pointless if you want to OC) and say good bye to dedicated mode or Install a win8 with full UEFI and use both.

Again for flashing vBIOS you will need to re-enable the legacy option rom in SG mode / Optimus mode then flash the card. Plus if 120Hz AW17 then atm one cannot flash their Maxwell GPU due to the stupid BIOS lockdown..

So your saying if I install a 980m in my system .alienware 17 980m 60hz screen windows 7 running in optimus mode I can't overclock my card with afterburner anymore. I have to be in dedicated mode to be able to overclock my gpu.

So your saying if I install a 980m in my system .alienware 17 980m 60hz screen windows 7 running in optimus mode I can't overclock my card with afterburner anymore. I have to be in dedicated mode to be able to overclock my gpu.

if that's the case i would be fine with stock but i am still gonna hold out till more developments have been made.

HOLD OUT MAN!!!!!

if that's the case i would be fine with stock but i am still gonna hold out till more developments have been made.

HOLD OUT MAN!!!!!

Yea for Sure . I'm just trying to find out for sure what avenues are open at this point. What I have to sacrafice if and when I do. I'm just praying dell releases their new systems with mxm 980m. Then I think we will have a chance at having a card that's more compatable with our system.

Just wanted to let everyone know that Eurocom has drivers for Alienware 17/18 for the 9xxm series.

Index of /support/drivers/upgradeyourlaptop/Alienware

Testing them for 980m + AW18 right now.

Also Alienware release their *NEW* systems with the 900m series. They are not the same as the current set. theres a 13, 15, and a 17. NO 18 :(

They didn't work for my system :(