Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

New AW 17 R2 - NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 980M with 4GB GDDR5 Alienware 17 Notebook | Dell

Software

Operating System Options

Windows® 8.1 (64-bit) (Standard)

Windows® 7 Professional (64-bit) -> Legacy option ROM......

Windows® 8.1 Pro (64-bit)

........:bananajump:

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 980M with 4GB?.....:Banane56:

Haha, can't believe they've gone for the 4GB version given that current games are already maxing this out! Yes, a good sign for older systems that they're offering it on Windows 7 I reckon - gotta get a hold of that vBIOS, although the 4GB vBIOS won't work with an 8GB card right (and most 980M that you can buy are 8GB)?

Haha, can't believe they've gone for the 4GB version given that current games are already maxing this out! Yes, a good sign for older systems that they're offering it on Windows 7 I reckon - gotta get a hold of that vBIOS, although the 4GB vBIOS won't work with an 8GB card right (and most 980M that you can buy are 8GB)?

I'll wait till the modded version is out then I'll buy the clevo card.

I'd expect the vbios won't care how much RAM it has, like my 680m, 2gb and 4gb are the same.

The specs are all still up in the air, they haven't even got the accessories correctly identified. They also say a 180w PSU? For the 970m maybe but that won't cut it with the 980m! Alienware 17 Notebook | Dell

Easily correctable...:)

• Thumbs Up 1

New AW 17 R2 - NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 980M with 4GB GDDR5 Alienware 17 Notebook | Dell

Software

Operating System Options

About time Alienware decided to offer 980M. When can we order the Dual 980M for AW 18?

Well whoever here gets the new systems with the GTX 980m best dump the Vbios so we can flash our 8gb 980m with it!

- - - Updated - - -

Software

Operating System Options

Bahaha, 4GB RAM, these guys are doing anything possible lately to save a buck.

About time Alienware decided to offer 980M. When can we order the Dual 980M for AW 18?

4GB MXM or soldered GPU (SC)....The latter means dead, ASUS 980M 4GB. Dell 680M 2GB vs Clevo 680M 4GB...

@J95

I'm not sure what Eurocom has done but the driver in this link for the R4 has ran 2 days now with no throttling and shows valid 3D Mark score, not sure what they changed exactly in the driver to make this happen but i would recommend using this driver (yes you have to use Optimus for a little longer) it works really well.

Index of /support/drivers/upgradeyourlaptop/Alienware

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to compare .inf side by side to see what strings they changed

- - - Updated - - -

It appears all they did was change the string to run the 680m as 980m so it thinks its running 680m....

post-5120-14494998983596_thumb.jpg

post-5120-14494998983232_thumb.jpg

post-5120-14494998983366_thumb.jpg

post-5120-14494998983493_thumb.jpg

@J95

I'm not sure what Eurocom has done but the driver in this link for the R4 has ran 2 days now with no throttling and shows valid 3D Mark score, not sure what they changed exactly in the driver to make this happen but i would recommend using this driver (yes you have to use Optimus for a little longer) it works really well.

Index of /support/drivers/upgradeyourlaptop/Alienware

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to compare .inf side by side to see what strings they changed

- - - Updated - - -

It appears all they did was change the string to run the 680m as 980m so it thinks its running 680m....[ATTACH=CONFIG]13420[/ATTACH]

%NVIDIA_DEV.11A0.0551.1028% = Section233, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_05511028

Yep. little trick, features...:D 3DMark...:D...:D

I'd expect the vbios won't care how much RAM it has, like my 680m, 2gb and 4gb are the same.

The specs are all still up in the air, they haven't even got the accessories correctly identified. They also say a 180w PSU? For the 970m maybe but that won't cut it with the 980m! Alienware 17 Notebook | Dell

Gotta hate that 180W PSU too! Hope you're right, and hope they've just got it all wrong - for the sake of technological progress!

@everybody

M17XR3/R4 are optimus enabled (muxeless) compared to MX18 which is muxed right? So it's possible to disable the optimus (muxeless in bios) on this nb for the discrete gpu to be independent with the internal graphics (hd4000)?

M17xR3/R4 BIOS settings: IGP disabled (integrated graphics) PEG enabled ?

(muxeless)

Internal display <-> Intel HD Graphics <-> Nvidia Graphics.

(muxed)

Internal display <-> Switch <-> Intel HD Graphics , <-> Nvidia Graphics.

@godfafa

Correct, it runs just fine with Optimus enabled, Modded the nvdmi.inf for the latest drivers 344.80 but I have to run Optimus to trick the OS to play nice and not throttle my card. Optimus I only lose about 1-3% performance in benchmarks. While gaming it appears to not hinder it at all, as I have done side by side comparisons and in some benchmarks (Heaven benchmark results were better than non Optimus). So ill deal with it for now, until that Dell Vbios comes available.

I tried to modify the strings "tricking" it to allow Non-Optimus, but without the Optimus, there just is no way of getting valid results, or a valid recognized card, which will result in the BIOS gimping the card over extended use.

- - - Updated - - -

@everybody

M17XR3/R4 are optimus enabled (muxeless) compared to MX18 which is muxed right? So it's possible to disable the optimus (muxeless in bios) on this nb for the discrete gpu to be independent with the internal graphics (hd4000)?

M17xR3/R4 BIOS settings: IGP disabled (integrated graphics) PEG enabled ?

(muxeless)

Internal display <-> Intel HD Graphics <-> Nvidia Graphics.

(muxed)

Internal display <-> Switch <-> Intel HD Graphics , <-> Nvidia Graphics.

Nope, its either SG - Intel HD Enabled or nothing. IF you disabled the HD and ran PEG you will throttle after a day.