Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

i dont know if its my monitor or GPU, but i get flickering of some colors when i force 60hz, 120hz runs just perfect! anybody having similar problems with 120hz screens? mine is LGD02C5

tried forcing 30hz and its just horrible.

That's just the driver, wait for them to major.

Clevo's have no general problems with GTX980M, neither on Optimus, SLI nor 120Hz... :)

Of course 3D doesn't work as Clevo didn't bother to pay for the license since 780M... :(

The internal DP port is driven differently by the driver than external connectors...why would you want 60Hz on a 120Hz screen anyway?

If you use Windows 7 then I know how to solve the problem, PM me>

Also please let's take further talk to the Clevo section. ;)

why i need 60hz on 120hz?

two reasons:

1st is downsampling, cant hit 4k with 120hz

2nd is tripple buffering with solid 60 or 50fps at native 60 or 50hz

with 120hz i assume you cant lock at 60fps and use tripple buffering at the same time, since i need tripple buffering for frames not to lock to lower rates when dropping slight under 60fps for a second or two.

there was a question about having 120hz on 980m, thats why i got into this thread, sorry for hijacking.

can anyone tell me if 2900mhz on memory is what i will be stuck for the future? or there is a possibility of custom vbios allowing memory overvolting or better timings? did that ever happened before with other mobile cards?

Please dont post any unrelated topics.

You are going too far. Monitor frequency and memory clocks are not the topic this post was made for.

Within the next 5 hours? :34_002:

On a more serious note: Some Alienware tech claimed they havent validated the 980M/970M cards on AW17 or AW18 and therefor couldnt give me a vbios from them.

Whats even more scary is that the Dell machine with GTX 980M posted on 3Dmark got 1GB VRAM while GTX 970M got 3GB VRAM. Are they going allin to solder heaven and just leaving the GPU Box to have replacable GPUs. Is that why they are taking their sweet time because such a big change in lineup (AW18 and AW14 killed) needs tweaking and commitment?

Me got a bad feeling about this

All the 980m cards for mxm laptops are the same except different vbios depending on laptop manufacturer right. Or are there some actually physically different in some way. Just curious for those that already bought a card but wasn't actually from dell.

I asked several lagitimat question here and my post never show up .I know shos post won't count but could the moderates please check into my subscription please. And thank you. I'm sure this is not the right place to post this . I would just like to be a part of your guys community. Sometimes I might have something to share that could help someone else out you never know

Within the next 5 hours? :34_002:

On a more serious note: Some Alienware tech claimed they havent validated the 980M/970M cards on AW17 or AW18 and therefor couldnt give me a vbios from them.

Whats even more scary is that the Dell machine with GTX 980M posted on 3Dmark got 1GB VRAM while GTX 970M got 3GB VRAM. Are they going allin to solder heaven and just leaving the GPU Box to have replacable GPUs. Is that why they are taking their sweet time because such a big change in lineup (AW18 and AW14 killed) needs tweaking and commitment?

Me got a bad feeling about this

I hope none of this comes True and we are pleasantly supprissed. Got a think positive .

• Thumbs Up 1

Minor update :

My friend from Korean Alienware Forum just succeeded posting 980m with AW17 3D model without optimus.

His card was different from the one I've tested.

Mine was 84.04.22.00.12.

His is 84.04.22.00.10 (P04 B-oard)

I've tested that vbios but mine didn't work. I dont know what made his 980m work.

My best guess is that I didn't flash the card properly (or current nvflash can not flash the card properly)

or the "P04 B-oard" is the one that works. (I dont know what p04 board means though)

Not tested in AW18 or m18x R2.

Add-note

post-13289-14494998795189_thumb.jpg

1st (from left) : did not work without optimus. vbios 84.04.22.00.10 / board version n16E-GX v2.4

2nd : did not work without optimus. vbios 84.04.22.00.12 / board version n16E-GX v2.1

3rd : worked without optimus. vbios 84.04.22.00.10 / board version n16E-GX v2.1

• Thumbs Up 6

Perhaps you could make that vbios available for SVL7... It might be useful.

Yeah I would love to.

But it's not me who succeeded.

He did it and he said he can't nvflash -b.

Some error .. he said.

- - - Updated - - -

@godfafa: Dude, you never replied to the email regarding the vbios mod I sent you... :upset:

Oh I thought I did. I am really sorry about that.

I sent a mail to you and Mr. Fox and John that I had to return the card to clevo. Mr Fox did reply to me. Guess the mail didn't reach you.

My big apology for that.

- - - Updated - - -

@godfafa, that's good news, we're getting closer, still unanswered questions surrounding why that vBIOS didn't work for you, good suggestions from the 2 people above though.

No idea. As I said above, it's the nvflash that flashed not me.

Maybe it didn't like me :(

Not possible to flash it with current nvflash maybe?

Weird stuff. But atleast we have some hope now that godfafa's friend succeeded. Wonder if his cards would work on AW18 as well?

Nice country. It is small enough to meet anyone in any place in one day.

I just burrowed it from him. Big thanks to "haru" from korean alienware forum. Gonna test that card in m18x r2.

• Thumbs Up 2

Nice country. It is small enough to meet anyone in any place in one day.

I just burrowed it from him. Big thanks to "haru" from korean alienware forum. Gonna test that card in m18x r2.

Man I hope it works. Then its just a matter of tracking down the right cards. Gotta be something new on the vbios in those card huh? Strange that they differ so much that one works while the other doesnt